What happened to ecoboost?

Caporegime
It's probably an unfair comparison, but I've seen the evoque struggle double digits but the again most of the evoques journeys are around town and less than 5 miles.

I've seen the XKR in the mid twentie but on decent motorway runs.

Although I would imagine the evoque to struggle to beat mid twenties on a decent run.

2.0l vs 4.2l supercharged petrol engines.

That bad? That seems pretty horrendous even compared to my poor fuel consumption.

Soldato
I'm in a temporary focus st line 1.0 ecoboost. Looks the nuts but is pretty slow - driving it sensibly and I get 39.7 mpg according to the trip at the moment. That's motorway and town traffic around Surrey and outskirts of Clapham.

Badly underequipped though -has manual Windows in the rear!!! Really??? No cruise, auto lights or wipers,no heated seats.... my old golf had all them and for around the same cost.

The focus drives superbly by comparison though and like I said, looks really lovely.

Giving it back in a few weeks and will then get a proper company car - not sure what yet- lots of options to play with but will certainly be avoiding the 1.0 ecoboost I'm in now -slow slow slow.

Soldato
Ford are bad for windy windows. Our fiesta has climate, auto lights + wipers, cruise, auto dimming mirrors, heated seats (most of which relatively unusual for a small hatch in 2012) and manual rear windows. Bizarre

Soldato
Badly underequipped though -has manual Windows in the rear!!! Really??? No cruise, auto lights or wipers,no heated seats.... my old golf had all them and for around the same cost.

You don't even get the option of having HIDs or LED lights either. The ST Line really is just a case of style over substance.

Man of Honour
Must be broken then - I get ~45mpg in mine

How can you possibly say its broken without knowing what type of driving he does compared to you? My car will do anything between 20 and 55mpg depending on where I'm going and what the traffic is like, there simply isn't enough information there to declare his car faulty. And lets face it, its brand new, its unlikely to be broken is it?

- since when has a 100/125bhp Turbo been slow?

Since.. ever? 100bhp in a Focus cannot really be described as anything other than slow.

Soldato
focus with the 150PS and automatic. Average just over 30MPG but most of my journeys are probably less than 5 miles (60%) with 5% being over 10 miles. So hardly going to be the most economical.

Not sure what to make of this as Focus Ecoboost 1.5 Auto is a potential next car for me but thats really not that impressive. My 1.8 Civic has a commute of 5 miles each way, mostly motorway, not much traffic on the way to work but solid stop start traffic on the return journey all the way home and its 34MPG over the last 5000 miles. Thats a 1.8 NA engine released in 2006.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Must be broken then - I get ~45mpg in mine, and guess you must daily a Ferrari or something - since when has a 100/125bhp Turbo been slow?

Ford Focus ST-Line 1.0T EcoBoost 125Ps AT Hatchback
Compact car
4/5Evo4/5Car Magazine

Model: Ford Focus
RRP: £22,315
Fuel economy: 60 mpg combined (49 city, 69 highway)
Horsepower: 92 kW @ 6,000 rpm
Engine: 1.0 L 3-cylinder
Fuel tank capacity: 55 L
Max speed: 119.9 mph
Acceleration 0-62 mph: 11 seconds

That is very slow? My first car which was a 1.4 rover from the mid 90s was quicker than that!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Sorry forgot where I was posting for a moment - everyone here drives 300bhp+ motors, and are more concerned about the size of their sat nav screen.

Spare us the hyperbole, it's not as if people are claiming a Focus ST is slow or something - the 100bhp Focus is a slow car by any metric. It takes almost 13 seconds to reach 60, which puts it amongst the slowest cars you can buy.

You don't need 300bhp to find a 100bhp Focus slow - it just is slow, by any accepted measure. Pick almost any car and the Focus is slower.

Caporegime
I have a 2011 Ford 1.6 Petrol Ecoboost (150 PS), which has return about 36.3 mpg since I've had it. I'd imagine that the Kuga would return a much lower real life mpg than what is quoted!

My 2005, 180bhp Clio would do about that! I never had a lifetime mpg. But it'd average 40~ from Cornwall to Scotland and 34-36 on a B road, 40 minute, run to work. I'd have thought a newer Ford would be better.

Man of Honour
My 2005, 180bhp Clio would do about that! I never had a lifetime mpg. But it'd average 40~ from Cornwall to Scotland and 34-36 on a B road, 40 minute, run to work. I'd have thought a newer Ford would be better.

He's quoting a LIFETIME average, you're cherry picking certain routes. Why do people continually do this with mpg comparisons?

If your car would only just manage 40mpg on a long run up the entire country then there is no way its lifetime consumption average would be 36.3mpg or indeed anywhere close.

I routinely get 50mpg+ on long trips like, for example, Devon to Cornwall yet my lifetime average is just 38mpg...

Caporegime
OP
Why do people see 50+ mpg as decent? 20 year old diesels can manage that, we should be approaching 100mpg by now.

Even hybrid cars are let down by rubbish petrol engines that only return 36mpg.

Man of Honour
Cos 20 year old diesels are hardly clean are they?

Or that powerful. Or particularly refined.

There is only so much fuel efficiency you can get out of an internal combustion engine.

Today you can purchase a car with 300bhp, a diesel engine you can barely hear, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and a fraction of the particulate emissions of a 1998 VW Passat TDI 110 but yet uses no more fuel. How isn't that progress?

Soldato
22k for an ST Line Focus that takes 11 seconds to 60 :eek::( That's only a few grand under the proper 250bhp ST.
It seems odd that Ford would offer a sporty model with such poor performance my very first car was a mk1 Focus 1.6 that hit 60 in the same time and got mid 30's MPG that is a car which was first produced nearly 20 years ago.
It's hardly moving forward in terms of performance and economy.

Caporegime
22k for an ST Line Focus that takes 11 seconds to 60 :eek::( That's only a few grand under the proper 250bhp ST.
It seems odd that Ford would offer a sporty model with such poor performance my very first car was a mk1 Focus 1.6 that hit 60 in the same time and got mid 30's MPG that is a car which was first produced nearly 20 years ago.

But look how much cleaner the engines are now.

Soldato
Or that powerful. Or particularly refined.

There is only so much fuel efficiency you can get out of an internal combustion engine.

Today you can purchase a car with 300bhp, a diesel engine you can barely hear, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and a fraction of the particulate emissions of a 1998 VW Passat TDI 110 but yet uses no more fuel. How isn't that progress?

But 300hp is nothing if you don't have the noise and responsiveness of a petrol engine to go with it :D

It's not a sporty model, it's a standard car with a badge stuck on it. Basically your buying a standard car with an ST bodykit, for almost real ST prices. Must be quite a money spinner for them :p

Same story with Audi S-line and BMW M power.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom