What happened to ecoboost?

Soldato
Its not a sporty model, it's a standard car
I know but the older Zetec S models that the ST line replaced at least came with a different gearbox/suspension and better performance than the ordinary models like the mk6 and mk7 Fiesta that was only available in 1.6 form or the mk3 Mondeo Zetec S that was 2.5 or 3.0 so they were still a more sporty overall package with better performance and looks. But for Ford to be offering the bog standard 1.0 that takes 11 secs to 60 in a car that looks like the ST and cost over 20k is rubbish imo but it's obviously what customers are buying which is sad.

Man of Honour
Same story with Audi S-line and BMW M power.

It's not the same story with BMW M Power at all, there isn't a single M Power car that doesn't differ from the rest of the range at the very minimum in terms of its suspension setup and the presence of an M Differential and in virtually every M Car except the 1M Coupe, by it's engine too.

Don
It's not the same story with BMW M Power at all, there isn't a single M Power car that doesn't differ from the rest of the range at the very minimum in terms of its suspension setup and the presence of an M Differential and in virtually every M Car except the 1M Coupe, by it's engine too.

Despite the fact he was likely on about M Sport (rather than M Power) as well you know.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
But 300hp is nothing if you don't have the noise and responsiveness of a petrol engine to go with it :D

This depends entirely what you need from the car. Bit silly to say that they are pointless as they fill a market requirement as per my own.

I have a ~300hp diesel, and a ~500hp petrol, i also previously had a ~300hp petrol. The 300hp diesel is expected to do 20000 miles per year, almost all business mileage billed back to clients. I therefore need something economical, but i also want around the 300hp mark as a performance level as i have to drive the thing on a daily basis. What alternatives are there? A 300hp petrol would burn a pointless amount of fuel over the mileage that the car is expected to do as a daily business vehicle.

Associate
I had a 1.6 ecoboost 150ps focus and could regularly atain 55-65mpg on a run on 'A' roads or motorways and around 40-44mpg around town...

I have the same car, am getting the same as you for around town and local drive to work. Not been on too many runs in mine yet so can't say what A road and motorway blasts return. Im very impressed with it though to be fair, very similar mpg to what I used to get out of my Mondoe ST TDCI.

Soldato
So they make the suspension a bit firmer, meh. They don't have everything else to go with it, so you just get an eco car with hard suspension, yay.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the same car, am getting the same as you for around town and local drive to work. Not been on too many runs in mine yet so can't say what A road and motorway blasts return. Im very impressed with it though to be fair, very similar mpg to what I used to get out of my Mondoe ST TDCI.
I no longer have the car however I did install a bluefin remap on it for a few months which made it a hoot to drive didn't effected the mpg at all and made a fantastic noise at higher rpm...

Associate
I no longer have the car however I did install a bluefin remap on it for a few months which made it a hoot to drive didn't effected the mpg at all and made a fantastic noise at higher rpm...

Ooooh, thats sounds good may have a look. I had been looking at the Mountune 200bhp kit, but its about 1k or just over and I bet that bluefin is a lot cheaper!!

Soldato
Or that powerful. Or particularly refined.

There is only so much fuel efficiency you can get out of an internal combustion engine.

Today you can purchase a car with 300bhp, a diesel engine you can barely hear, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and a fraction of the particulate emissions of a 1998 VW Passat TDI 110 but yet uses no more fuel. How isn't that progress?

The new Mazda Skyactiv-X HCCI (Homogeneous Compression Charge Ignition) Petrol engine being developed is claimed to be 30 percent more efficient than current IC engines, so there is much more to come.

Soldato
just to go back to the OPs point I'd be happy if my wife could get 37mpg in her diesel kuga, average over the last year and a bit has been 34mpg from a 2l tdci, same engine in my mondoe over the last 100k has averaged 46mpg. id perhaps hazard a guess that the 1.5 petrol will return sub 30mpg in the real world

Soldato
I know but the older Zetec S models that the ST line replaced at least came with a different gearbox/suspension and better performance than the ordinary models like the mk6 and mk7 Fiesta that was only available in 1.6 form or the mk3 Mondeo Zetec S that was 2.5 or 3.0 so they were still a more sporty overall package with better performance and looks. But for Ford to be offering the bog standard 1.0 that takes 11 secs to 60 in a car that looks like the ST and cost over 20k is rubbish imo but it's obviously what customers are buying which is sad.

It's not really the full looks. The ST still gets unique bumpers afaik.

Since cars stopped weighing like 900kg in the early 90s.

Yea it's amazing how much of a difference weight makes. 125hp in an old Lotus Elise feels like a rocket. But 125hp even in a modern Fiesta is annoyingly slow. Though power delivery does play a part too I suppose, sporty engines build revs a lot quicker.

Last edited:
Soldato
The original ones were a Rover K-Series. But it was actually put together by Lotus I think (thank god).

The later ones were a Toyota vvti

Soldato
I had one as a courtesy car and yes a 1.0 Fiesta is slow. Especially after driving my ST. You floor it and nothing happens :p

Associate
I had the 1.0 ecoboost as hire car while my car was in garage. I was impressed tbh compared to what i expected. but when you drive anything faster noramally and get in one your automatically going to say its slow as your used to a fast car.

Wife has 1.2 turbo in hers yes its nippy, drive my 1.4 turbo hers seems slow and mine is quick, get in the old mans gti god both of our cars are slow. Then get in the the old mans Lotus Elise and same again.

Mpg wise i can get about 50mpg to and from work in my Seat Ibiza Fr.Mix of town and A roads. Think the 1.0T had for 3 days got around 40mpg

Back
Top Bottom