1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Acme

Caporegime

A lot of them are probably issues from his fake diesel MPS which you are thinking of.

2. adam cool dude

Soldato

Surely it is more important finding the issue that is destroying your cats in the first place.

3. Acme

Caporegime

Could be wild dogs.

4. Diagro

Sgarrista

There is no reason... It was 8yrs old and had been modified by the previous owner. Think it was running very rich for years. Prob why it died

5. Phemo

Soldato

Cheers. I fitted them all in earlier on and I've given the seats a wipe down with a damp cloth. They don't look too bad but I'll definitely get some proper stuff, will give some of that a go. So much better than it was with the crappy cloth interior. Got the whole interior for a pretty good price too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is figuring out the wiring for the heated seats. I need a new climate panel which is fine and to code heated seats to the car which is also fine, but I'm a bit unsure about the wiring at the minute. Oh and perhaps swapping the door cards out if I decide I can be bothered - I have got some with the leather bits on but unsure on their condition at the minute.

6. Armageus

Don

Renewed breakdown cover on the Wife's car. AA wanted £162 for renewal, so switched to Green Flag - £73.92 (and £10 cashback via Quidco).

7. adam cool dude

Soldato

I have been driving for 11 years and run a fleet of 3 cars and never needed breakdown cover. I would have spent a grand over that period other wise! Even a recovery is quite cheap these days if the worst happens.

8. sigma

Perma Banned

Bitches be bitches.

9. sigma

Perma Banned

Sample size of 3 is hardly massive.

10. Acme

Caporegime

My recovery was £150 because it was 2AM on a Sunday and it wasn't a breakdown it was stupidity. :( :p

11. Armageus

Don

Having only needed to call roadside assistance on 3 of my cars in the past 10 years or so (for stupid things at home - flooded engine on the Zafira, alarmingly low oil on A3, and a Mini that wouldn't lock and had both front windows down), then for the most part I probably could get away without - however it offers my Wife peace of mind (especially with having kids in the car), and takes away any stress from me in the event that anything happens.

12. Acme

Caporegime

New battery and battery isolator fitted to the E30. Tired old Halfords 600CCA 70AH battery out, shiny new 760CCA 76AH Exide Premium battery in.

It's never cranked over and started so fast :eek:

The old battery was only maybe 3 years old but being left sitting for months at a time and charged from totally dead over and over again when it was having the welding etc done in my driveway totally killed it dead. Wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

13. adam cool dude

Soldato

Flooded engine on a Zafira is a simple fuse pull on the fuel pump and crank the engine till the petrol is burnt off. Checking oil on a car is something I do at least monthly if not more. A lot of these issues are nothing a quick bit of Google and some modest mechanical understanding cannot solve. I can totally understand why the AA advertise 99% of breakdowns fixed at the side of the road or whatever they preach.

I did get European Breakdown when I did a 4000 mile jaunt across Europe but still armed myself with a reasonably small tool kit with the essentials which thankfully I never needed to use anyway.

14. adam cool dude

Soldato

Nothing to do with sample size. A tiny little bit of mechanical understanding can avoid a lot of things. A lot of people treat their cars like a disposable object but with a little bit of routine monitoring would reduce a hell of a lot of trouble. The average age of my fleet is 18 years old. Surely I should need breakdown cover more than anyone!

15. sigma

Perma Banned

Hardly anyone cares though, i agree with your sentiment but why learn when you can pay someone else? I've had a stater motor fail, a clutch cylinder go and a split water pipe in the past, well worth the fee. None of these issues gave warning signs. Of course it's to do with sample size, none of your cars have needed it, lots of others have...

16. Armageus

Don

Even simpler than that on a Zafira - floor the throttle whilst cranking it (ECU anti-flood mode), which the RAC man told me and more importantly explained why the flooding had likely occurred in the first place (i.e. because he noticed I had cut the grass and asked if I had just moved the car out the way and back again)

Which I had the week before, however the in-dash low oil reminder had also not triggered, and within a week I had a low-oil pressure warning upon starting the car. As it was a Audi approved used vehicle, it came with breakdown cover, and so I called them they came out checked it out, topped up with 1.5 litres of the correct oil, and reported the fault back to the Audi dealer to investigate.

Fortunately I haven't yet had to, but I would rather call a breakdown company on the way back from the middle of no-where in whatever weather conditions, as opposed to sit in a broken down car with kids, and try and google my way out of a breakdown.

17. mollymoo

Mobster

AA recovery was a god send for me when my car overheated in standing traffic and well worth the money.

18. Acme

Caporegime

Only a Vauxhall could manage to flood itself with a modern fuel injection system... :p

19. adam cool dude

Soldato

I had a coolant hose go on a track day. I had the spare parts with me as I was prepared. I have also had an ignition switch go as well. Nothing a friendly person couldn't help with a bump start to get me home. Carrying a small kit around with the basics like oil, some water, duct tape etc and you are covered for a lot minus some catastrophic failure which then is only a cost of a low loader compared to the years you have saved from not paying premiums. In the end as you said taking insurance is always a calculated risk. If it was of benefit to everyone insurance companies would be out of business!

20. Lokwyr

Associate

My Dad, in 1961, had a master cylinder seal fail on his 1957 Hillman Minx de luxe. In traffic. Used handbrake to stop but still gently touched the car in front. Having just come back to UK from 7years in Middle East he had all the parts and tools to fix it at the roadside. Along came Plod who wrote stuff in his little book. Dad was prosecuted for permitting an unsafe vehicle to be used on the road, because, having the spares and tools onboard meant that he knew a failure was imminent! Fined £12:10s:6d.
    Almost (then) a weeks pay.

MoT on the Panda this morning. Nothing needed. No advisories. Not even a washer-bottle top-up.