What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
I paid a mere £1000 for it and I have spent about £800 on it so far on a full leather interior, 15" BBS, tyres, and little bits and pieces - none of which I needed, but I wanted.

I have about £200~ of bits I can sell though, which I have replaced with different bits.

Lots of spending yet to do. Brake pipes, wheel bearing, chopping and welding of various little bits (nothing major), a few niggley little things like door and sunroof seals etc.

I could leave it as it is, it is solid, it works, the only rust is in non structural places like on the rear valance, and it has a years MOT. But I don't want to. For once I'm actually happy putting money and time into a car. :)

Caporegime
Acme;30487867 said:
I could leave it as it is, it is solid, it works, the only rust is in non structural places like on the rear valance, and it has a years MOT. But I don't want to. For once I'm actually happy putting money and time into a car. :)

And quite rightly so. There's little point in buying an old car that you actually lust after, and then leaving it as-is.

When I get around to getting something similar (likely another e36) I'm going to do my utmost to get it as close as possible to perfect.

Caporegime
You might want to get the E36 sooner rather than later, they have started coming up in price now, but are currently still close to rock bottom. If they go up like E30's did, one which is £1000 now will be £5000 in three years! :eek:

Cars in similar condition to mine have sold for three times what I paid. And I budgeted a lot more than £1000 for one. Another reason why I don't mind spending on it. :)

Soldato
Howard;30487537 said:
I used Wheels Approved in Byfleet.

mrk;30487548 said:
First Aid Wheels.

Great service, great quality and drop in if you prebook. There isn't anything they can't do and their prices are also good.

Awesome thanks, will have a look at both.

Acme - looks good but again get that thread going... :)

IMO it's an old car and it'll require spending and as long as you enjoy it and working on it then why not! It's not like you've just bought a cat D celica and trying to stop it from leaking with some glue is it. ;)

Transmission breaker
Don
Spent 30 minutes on the phone to BMW customer services to try and find out if my wipers are broken or a "floating" bolt is by design or a fault.
I have tried calling a dealer, but was left on hold for 5 minutes and disconnected.

The car windscreen company is adamant that this is a fault so I have to pay at my own costs to have the wiper removed before they can complete the job I have paid them for.

If I can get BMW to tell me that this is by design I can inform them to get on and do it, and they can compete the job I paid them for. They took the booking and knew the vehicle type so should be capable of doing the job.

They also broke my washer jet distribution point on the wiper and have informed me they will purchase me a replacement part for this and fit it when they do the screen.

BMW have said they will get the dealer to discuss this with me asap. Fingers crossed.

Man of Honour
Malt_Vinegar;30489772 said:
Spent 30 minutes on the phone to BMW customer services to try and find out if my wipers are broken or a "floating" bolt is by design or a fault.
I have tried calling a dealer, but was left on hold for 5 minutes and disconnected.

The car windscreen company is adamant that this is a fault so I have to pay at my own costs to have the wiper removed before they can complete the job I have paid them for.

If I can get BMW to tell me that this is by design I can inform them to get on and do it, and they can compete the job I paid them for. They took the booking and knew the vehicle type so should be capable of doing the job.

They also broke my washer jet distribution point on the wiper and have informed me they will purchase me a replacement part for this and fit it when they do the screen.

BMW have said they will get the dealer to discuss this with me asap. Fingers crossed.

Which bolt is floating? Washer jets are a Pita on the 7 series they're such a brittle plastic that they take so little force to snap them, and to make matters worse you cant just buy the washer assembly you have to buy the whole wiper arm

Transmission breaker
Don
Frozennova;30489878 said:
Which bolt is floating? Washer jets are a Pita on the 7 series they're such a brittle plastic that they take so little force to snap them, and to make matters worse you cant just buy the washer assembly you have to buy the whole wiper arm

BMW are now saying that the fitter would have broken it applying too much force to the nut. Took it in today, and they took the car back to look at the section in question.

£790 odd to fix it there......

Auto Windscreen say it is "wear and tear" and they are not liable. If thats the case, why are they offering to replace (parts already ordered) the broken washer jet parts?

I am going to take a look tonight, see if I can remove the offending nut myself.

Man of Honour
Malt_Vinegar;30491368 said:
BMW are now saying that they fitter would have broken it applying too much force to the nut. Took it in today, and they took the car back to look at the section in question.

£790 odd to fix it there......

Auto Windscreen say it is "wear and tear" and they are not liable. If thats the case, why are they offering to replace (parts already ordered) the broken washer jet parts?

Sounds like hes tried using brute force to release the arm off the splines rather than using a puller. Not sure on how Auto windscreens work but I know the company I work for would be bending over backwards to sort it out for you

Transmission breaker
Don
Frozennova;30491386 said:
Sounds like hes tried using brute force to release the arm off the splines rather than using a puller. Not sure on how Auto windscreens work but I know the company I work for would be bending over backwards to sort it out for you
I phoned and spoke to the fitters customer service/manager(?).

"I have been in the business 18 years, never seen this before, I trained the fitter myself, he would never have done that, its wear and tear, so we cannot cover it."

I asked them to forward me the liability statement in the contract. They are going to get someone to send this over to me to review. I am sure they must have insurance to cover this sort of thing?

MOT is due in 9 days... So unhappy about this. I will call my insurance company in the morning to see what they say, as I booked it through them.

Man of Honour
Malt_Vinegar;30491412 said:
I phoned and spoke to the fitters customer service/manager(?).

"I have been in the business 18 years, never seen this before, I trained the fitter myself, he would never have done that, its wear and tear, so we cannot cover it."

I asked them to forward me the liability statement in the contract. They are going to get someone to send this over to me to review. I am sure they must have insurance to cover this sort of thing?

MOT is due in 9 days... So unhappy about this. I will call my insurance company in the morning to see what they say, as I booked it through them.

He's talking out of his backside. Its easily done when not doing things the right way (More so on some vehicles than others). Have you tied escalating it higher?

Transmission breaker
Don
I am going to speak to my insurance company. They presumably put a lot of work to that company. Might have a little more sway if I get them in my court.

They were quite helpful earlier today when I asked them to help about the initial issue of being asked to pay for the wiper to be removed so they can do the job.

Caporegime
Spent about two hours trying to move a hose clamp in an awkward position on the Skoda, nearly cut the end of my finger off, threw the toolbox at the fence, kicked the car, and went indoors.

I think it went well overall. :p

Still need to move the clamp... :mad: The two tabs have worked their way round to the bottom and there is no room to maneuver my hands...

Back
Top Bottom