What have you done to your car today?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Picked up a car seat with foldable isofix and bought some ear defenders so the kids could have a go in the Caterham. The seat was a bit wide so left the doors off. Won’t be doing that again! Anything over 40-50 MPH is just ridiculous. Kids could barely keep their eyes open.
Great fun though. Exhaust sounds crazy :D

Soldato
Ordered
B4 shock absorbers
Genuine mazda springs
Drop links

Putting the MPS back to stock suspension wise.

Will be able to sell the B8s and lowering springs for about what I paid for the new stuff.

Fed up of replacing drop links every couple months. And due to a back injury, the ride is a little too harsh.

Soldato
Ordered
B4 shock absorbers
Genuine mazda springs
Drop links

Putting the MPS back to stock suspension wise.

Will be able to sell the B8s and lowering springs for about what I paid for the new stuff.

Fed up of replacing drop links every couple months. And due to a back injury, the ride is a little too harsh.

I'm sure 50% of your posts are about suspension :cry:

Soldato
Did the trust come through fella?

Yeah it did, only just got around to looking at it.

It's definitely fairly bad, I honestly don't think you will get anywhere with fighting a case against them, they will just put it down to wear and tear. I would be happy to still use them though, they should be fine to use down to replacement tread levels. Continentals do seem to suffer pretty badly for it.

Soldato
Yeah it did, only just got around to looking at it.

It's definitely fairly bad, I honestly don't think you will get anywhere with fighting a case against them, they will just put it down to wear and tear. I would be happy to still use them though, they should be fine to use down to replacement tread levels. Continentals do seem to suffer pretty badly for it.
Cheers, I hardly use the car but a combination of perished tyres and crabbing in low temps might persuade me to start thinking about it

Bit nuts for 10k miles/3 years though surely?

Caporegime
Tried to save myself some money by changing two CV boots for M.O.T and ended up breaking an ABS sensor because I was rushing and stretched the cable. :o

Today I cut up the sensor end and re-soldered the breaks in the wiring. Heat-shrinked the whole lot and put a massive dollop of glue gun around the wires to hold it all solid and in place. I now have working ABS :D. I have a new sensor on the way but at least I can get the car M.O.T'ed tomorrow.

Soldato
Ordered some Osram Xenarc Night Breaker Laser bulbs for my Focus. Got Osram Cool Blue Intense in there at the moment just for the whiter look, but going to give the NBLs a chance and see if they give me much more light. They're pre-10pm delivery so if it's not too late I'll fit them later, as I need to take the whole headlight unit out to get in to change the bulb.

Soldato
MMI unit in to my E92 335i. Feels like 2016 in here now...

9P2nQ2Rl.jpg

V3WMhCGl.jpg

5MTEYY0l.jpg

iDrive maps... no DAB etc but still a Bluetooth connection.

2WbZKrWl.jpg

Vca7dyll.jpg

I ended up removing this unit twice before leaving it be the third time :o

I should say I had repeated crashes when trying to play anything besides podcasts with the MMI unit. Carplay would crash when pressing play on Music, Spotify and Radio apps, skipping tracks etc was fine.

Turns out there are some quite widespread issues among Carplay users which seem to stem from when an iPhone is restored from an iCloud backup, originating around IOS 14. Both my XR and 13 wouldn't work but my O/H's 12 would (same IOS). Ended up needing to 'Reset All Settings' (but not a total erase).

Thinking about the reverse camera add in for £35 but I'm not in a rush.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thinking about the reverse camera add in for £35 but I'm not in a rush.

I would hate to drive a car without a reverse camera now - I was a bit annoyed that the previous owner of my truck had specced out all the extras, including all the ones no one ever uses, but not the reversing sensors - but having got used to the camera I actually find it more useful and really hate driving something without one now.

Soldato
I would hate to drive a car without a reverse camera now - I was a bit annoyed that the previous owner of my truck had specced out all the extras, including all the ones no one ever uses, but not the reversing sensors - but having got used to the camera I actually find it more useful and really hate driving something without one now.

Yeah got front and rear cameras on mine, they're an absolute necessity to me now, especially on a bigger car! It's nice being able to nudge right up against a wall or something while parking.

Soldato

I can't get on with mine at all - my Lincoln is the first car I've had with one and I thought I'd like it but I just end up listening to the beeps and using the mirrors like I always did.

Soldato
Yeah got front and rear cameras on mine, they're an absolute necessity to me now, especially on a bigger car! It's nice being able to nudge right up against a wall or something while parking.
1200%.

Even on the smaller Ibiza it is great just having that extra confidence to squeeze into tiny spaces.

I've not experienced front camera yet but I'm sure it's a welcome addition.

Soldato
Parked up and some curious onlookers pointed to the car at which I gave a casual "Yeah its different" :)

Turns out it had ****** itself of all its coolant so had to get it recovered :(
gPLc3um.jpg
Hope its not too bad and just a hose has popped off or something along those lines. Was due to go in for some maintenance work anyway so lets see what happens.

Soldato
E43 has been hit again from some dingbat trying to park :(

Must be the 3rd or 4th time now... need to 1) move, 2) sell the car, 3) get over it and do a full 'clean up' when I do 1) or 2)

Soldato
Spent some time fettling the BEAMS Hilux. Idles ok but won’t rev cleanly with any throttle. Went through all of the wiring and despite it showing signs of a bit of butchery everything looks in order. Ended up borrowing the MAF sensor from the Mk3 MR2 on a hunch (Same part number, gotta love Toyota parts interchangeability) and it ran much better although still not spot on. Ordered a replacement and will wait for that to turn up before investigating further.

Soldato
Serviced the fuel filter on a Ford Fiesta Mk6 1.6 TDCI with a new one. Read plenty horror stories online about people struggling to get the engine going again once air is introduced to the high pressure fuel pump so it was a job I'd been delaying for some time. Fortunately with the hand priming pump tool I got off the bay it went a treat, although the first time turning the ignition over was a little nerving. :p

DpDKmP0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom