what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Caporegime
So you have the 599 and you are mentioning those combos? What do you have atm ?
Nothing! No DAC, no amp.

I figure I should hear a 10,000% improvement by spending a moderate amount of money, and the E30/L30 is supposed to be pretty darn good!

In truth tho I'm a total newb and have no idea what I'm doing, so, you know.

Soldato
Nothing! No DAC, no amp.

I figure I should hear a 10,000% improvement by spending a moderate amount of money, and the E30/L30 is supposed to be pretty darn good!

In truth tho I'm a total newb and have no idea what I'm doing, so, you know.

Hopefully if you get an L30 it doesn't do as some others have done and die in a puff of smoke, taking your headphones with it - and Topping won't foot the bill for new headphones.

Soldato
Update on the Focal Elegia / HipDac combo..

Having had the brand new pair turn up and burnt in, with some generous EQ these things are really good, the soundstage is so wide for a closed back, the imaging, clarity, separation have all improved as me and the headphones have burnt in.

Some headphones react well to EQ, some don't.. These IMO have been transformed, just the right amount of bass (I'm a bit of a bass head) without bleeding in to the mids, and with a bit more top end gain it's really opened up the airyness and detail (to suit my aging ears).. very very happy currently, just about everything sounds 'better' and I am struggling going back to my other headphones..

The new pair has a much nicer cable supplied (The original woven/braided affair is too stiff, the new cable is similar to the Elear) so I've resisted the urge to upgrade to balanced just yet!
jvTn8VGh.jpg

Caporegime
Hopefully if you get an L30 it doesn't do as some others have done and die in a puff of smoke, taking your headphones with it - and Topping won't foot the bill for new headphones.
Thanks for that, btw. I wasn't aware of the L30 failure rate until you mentioned it. Went with the Atom instead, after finding a fair few reports, as you said, of failed L30s.

Associate
Looking for some advice on a portable headphone amp/dac. Got my first pair of "proper" headphones a few months back and being used mostly with my on-board sound card. The headphones are DT770s @80ohms. On my PC their performance is more than adequate. Usually the volume is set to 50%. My issue is with my new phone and the volume to 100%, the volume just isn't enough.

As I will start travelling once lock down ends shortly (hopefully), I need a (semi) portable amp to use with my phone. If it can also be used on my PC to improve quality that is also welcome.

Budget is around £100. Willing to go slightly higher if it will get me much better features.

Searching online I've seen recommendations for the Cyprus Soundkey, but I would need to buy a separate micro to USB c cable. Any other recommendations?

Associate
Looking for some advice on a portable headphone amp/dac. Got my first pair of "proper" headphones a few months back and being used mostly with my on-board sound card. The headphones are DT770s @80ohms. On my PC their performance is more than adequate. Usually the volume is set to 50%. My issue is with my new phone and the volume to 100%, the volume just isn't enough.

As I will start travelling once lock down ends shortly (hopefully), I need a (semi) portable amp to use with my phone. If it can also be used on my PC to improve quality that is also welcome.

Budget is around £100. Willing to go slightly higher if it will get me much better features.

Searching online I've seen recommendations for the Cyprus Soundkey, but I would need to buy a separate micro to USB c cable. Any other recommendations?

FiiO BTR5 or EarStudio ES100

Soldato
Update on the Focal Elegia / HipDac combo..

Having had the brand new pair turn up and burnt in, with some generous EQ these things are really good, the soundstage is so wide for a closed back, the imaging, clarity, separation have all improved as me and the headphones have burnt in.

Some headphones react well to EQ, some don't.. These IMO have been transformed, just the right amount of bass (I'm a bit of a bass head) without bleeding in to the mids, and with a bit more top end gain it's really opened up the airyness and detail (to suit my aging ears).. very very happy currently, just about everything sounds 'better' and I am struggling going back to my other headphones..

The new pair has a much nicer cable supplied (The original woven/braided affair is too stiff, the new cable is similar to the Elear) so I've resisted the urge to upgrade to balanced just yet!
jvTn8VGh.jpg

What do you use for EQ?

Associate
Anyone here have the HD 560s? How would you rate them?

I was gonna go for the 58x but they'd take ages to arrive and with import fees etc they'll probably work out more expensive

Associate
Mainly AKG K550 mk2 here - powered from arcam A28 headphone socket (the dac is a chord 2qute feeding the amp). Does the job for me for both music + gaming , when I need to use headphones , though to be honest I normally using either MA bronze 2 speakers for close head listening or Tannoy 8XT-Fs for more room filling sounds (both driven from the P38 amp I have auxilary to the A28)

When on the move (with laptop) I'm still using Soundmagic E10cs driven either by a Audiolab Dac mini (when using a plugged lap top) or Fiio E10K headphone amp when battery powered

Back
Top Bottom