what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
Having a tidy up/clear out of music/gaming headphones/headsets but ended up buying the Beyer DT1990 as a last purchase (for now) - seems this will do nicely as an all rounder. An eq tweak in the 8k range and these are nigh on perfect for me on the PS5/Creative G6 or Laptop/iFi Zen Dac combos I have - will likely add a Zen Can at some point but happy to sell off a few others sets now :)

Soldato
After getting used to the rotary volume dials on the Surface 2 headphones it really is a chore using buttons again.

Voume should always be rotary controlled period.

Associate
Just got my first ''Flagship'' headphones, the fostex th900 mk2.

First off they are easy to power/drive and out of a 3.5mm headphone jack on max volume on this chrome book is plenty loud enough almost too loud.

Nice sound really, i would say they sound powerful, but professionally powerful.

Now after a few minutes of impression ( i know) am now using my adi 2 dac fs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice cans, best bass in the business. If I were to upgrade my Denon AH-D7200's it would either be the Fostex TH900 or the Denon AH-D9200, the jury is still out as to which is the best.

Associate
Nice cans, best bass in the business. If I were to upgrade my Denon AH-D7200's it would either be the Fostex TH900 or the Denon AH-D9200, the jury is still out as to which is the best.

I'm in the same boat as you, i came from d7200 to the th900 mk2 and eventually will get the d9200 so same intentions of what headphones to get.

Associate
So far after a bit of mental burn in, this is what i think of the fostex 900 mk2,

The speed of it with the way it delivers sounds, sounds much more life like realistic,

The bass is proper it does move air, it gives the sound meat to it to make it sound much more life like as well,

Plus when it is loud the definition of the sound is much clearer then any other headphone i have had much less distorted in other words, but this is the first flagship i have ever owned.

Out of my other head phones which are mid fi they sound more artificial where as the d7200 is better but the th900 mk2 sounds more life like out of them all.

Take this with a pinch of salt but those are my impression.

This headphone the mk2 900 has given me quite a lot of hair raising moments

Happy with them, but did cost 1,300 gbps saved 100 up to 200 off from other web stores.

Dan.

Soldato
the only thing that concerns me with the Fostex 900 is that I keep reading that they have extremely hot highs. Now I read the same about the Beyer DT1990 and I have zero problem with those, possibly due to my age and the relentless decline in high frequency hearing it brings - although I can still hear fine up to 11.5kHz and the Beyer peak is at 8kHz, so who knows? :D
Anyway, that's one of the things I love most about the D7200's is the treble is just done to perfection, highly detailed yet smooth as silk.

Associate
I agree the denon 7200, has a smooth highly detailed treble.

But i say this, the th900's detail thanks to it's treble and speed especially and lower distortion i can say with confidence that it sounds more detailed than d7200.

You have to hear the th900, with mental burn in you would think the d7200 are highly detailed and yes they are but the th900 well to put it this way, it sounds much much less of a blur of a sound which many people would be accustomed too with other headphones that are not the th900.

I think it would be complex passage of sound the speed of the th900 i know shines with convoying detail because well it sounds more faster and much more pin point, more real, or the pace rhythm of the drivers.

Despite the speed of the th900 regarding my experiance with the d7200, well the th900 is like a headphones on steroids, where as the d7200 is more relaxing.

The d7200 is slower than th900 and it would be quite different, but the speed of the 900 in my opinions is way more bang on accurate with the speed, without the blur and you will notice sounds being way more pronounced.

Soldato
The D9200 is tuned closer to the 900, in that it's treble is more pronounced and more detailed, though it does give up a little (quantity but not quality) to the D7200. Basically the 900 has a more V shaped frequency response than either of the Denons which makes them masters of both bass and treble but as an overall headphone I would probably pick the D9200.

Associate
The D9200 is tuned closer to the 900, in that it's treble is more pronounced and more detailed, though it does give up a little (quantity but not quality) to the D7200. Basically the 900 has a more V shaped frequency response than either of the Denons which makes them masters of both bass and treble but as an overall headphone I would probably pick the D9200.

Yes the th900 is v shaped indeed or as some people say u shaped.

I am picky about the sound of a headphone, but to my ears the th900 still sounds good with it's mid range.

For sheer music enjoyment, the th900 out of my entire headphone collection.

Last edited:
Associate
I've owned SteelSeries Siberia V2s, replaced with Siberia 200s, but without my old sound card, while still good, not as good. Hoping to upgrade to a pair of Arctis 5s around birthday time :cry:

Associate
mee.jpg

Associate
Does switching the e10k gain from low to high offer anything other than higher volume while the volume dial is lower? Currently using with 990pro's and have it set to low and the dial on 5-7 depending on the track.

Soldato
use the gain to keep the volume towards the middle of the range, too low and you can get channel imbalance and too high and you get distortion - it shouldn't make any difference apart from how loud it gets. Basically the gain boosts the volume and the volume control reduces it, just find a happy medium.

Associate
To the best of my shabby knowledge, apart from higher volume, the amp also deals with the dynamics with the headphone, so no i can't say anymore.

use the gain to keep the volume towards the middle of the range, too low and you can get channel imbalance and too high and you get distortion - it shouldn't make any difference apart from how loud it gets. Basically the gain boosts the volume and the volume control reduces it, just find a happy medium.

Cheers. :)

Associate
Now with more mental burn in with the th900.

There is ample amounts of sub bass and even more when the track calls for it and when it doesn't this ample sub bass is not in the way and if a track sounds well flat varying on how it is this headphone will also sound flat despite having a v sound signature, so i am really happy about this.

It sounds high end indeed, but not ultra high end (think about the stax 009) but the sub bass rumbles ,slams , punchs, kicks.

The treble sings when the track calls for it as well.

Soldato
Not so much headphones, but currently looking at ordering a Schiit Magni 3+ or the Asgard 3. Anyone else using either? I'll likely be using my G6 as a DAC for now.

Back
Top Bottom