What headset for best audio?

Associate
Hi all.. I'm in the market for a new headset, I want the best crystal clear sounding headphones I can get.. I have the creative soundblaster ZX sound card so would prefer a headset with 1 headphone jack plug and 1 mic jack plug to go in to the little sound volume box thing..

Bearing in mind I still want it to be surround sound if possible..

What do you guys recommend??

Thanks in advance

Soldato
"Surround" in any marketing or box of headphones means overpriced Chinese trinket garbage.
Human hears in "3D" with just two channel input, because head and outer ears cause direction dependant changes to signal received by ears from sound source.
Those changes can be simulated mathematically (Creative has very good algorithm) and if headphones are actually good immersion can be very good if your head shape is close to average.
Even including feel of distance instead of all sounds just coming from ear/next to it.

Of course bad or inaccurate headphones can completely spoil signal, resulting in "head in bucket under water" immersion.
Especially closed design gaming trinkets are good candidates for that.
Very few of them are made by any kind honestly trying manufacturer, instead of garbage manfuacturer.
And closed design itself is huge challenge/drag for achieving needed accuracy even for actual audio makers.

So if you have quiet environment and don't need isolation of external sounds, open headphones are better.
Besides also having less heat insulation and lower risk of ears sweating compared to closed headphones.
Which is always good for longer gaming sessions.

What kind budget you have?
For sub ~£100 there are some headsets made by honestly trying manufacturers, but if it reaches over £100 then you can get headphones of actual audio makers.

And do you want maximal details, but at expense of bass having tendendy to feel "shy"/unimmersive, or more balanced details and "fun factor"?
Most closed headphones struggle to have "room" for both good bass and details, but good open headphones manage balancing between them.

Associate
OP
Yup.. That's about as confusing as I've ever been lol.. Thank you for the detailed reply.

If I have you an idea of what I like would prob be better..

I'm definitely an astetics kinda guy so I like them to look the bees knees, I like bass for when I'm listening to music.. I'm not a hardcore gamer but do enjoy playing games online... I love crisp crystal clear sounds where you can put the headphones on and get blown away by the sound..

I usually go for closed cup as I like the feel on my eyes, smaller ones I find uncomfortable..

Again I'd like 1 Jack plug for headphones and 1 mic jack plug to go into my volume thing on my desk..

I don't really wanna hit the hundreds for a headset but I know you get what you pay for so. Up to around £150 I'd Prob go

Soldato
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm has 3m straight cable, which can need some managing to keep it from falling to floor.
250 ohm variant again has coiled cable.
While having very good binaural sound stage for closed headphone, those have strong bass of closed headphone, which hinders details in games more than little.

Open DT990 would have better balance between above neutral bass and details.
Its ~£100 priced studio use aimed Pro version has coiled cable and similar head band clamping force to DT770, which is 25% higher than in "normal" DT990 Edition/Premium.
Though actual headband inside cushion is steel and wouldn't mind from little bending.
Home use aimed more decorated Edition with 3m straight cable goes to ~£140, which wouldn't leave room for ModMic if you don't want to use any "lavalier" mic.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antl...hable-boom-microphone-muteless-sp-042-al.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antlion-audio-modmic-v4-attachable-boom-microphone-sp-041-al.html

Though Beyerdynamics are easy DIY mic mod if you can find some flexible arm 3,5mm mic:
https://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H

Beyerdynamic sells basically every part as spare part if something wears, so those are easy to keep going for years.
Anyway design is from time when things were designed for durability instead of fancy look.

Associate
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm has 3m straight cable, which can need some managing to keep it from falling to floor.
250 ohm variant again has coiled cable.
While having very good binaural sound stage for closed headphone, those have strong bass of closed headphone, which hinders details in games more than little.

Open DT990 would have better balance between above neutral bass and details.
Its ~£100 priced studio use aimed Pro version has coiled cable and similar head band clamping force to DT770, which is 25% higher than in "normal" DT990 Edition/Premium.
Though actual headband inside cushion is steel and wouldn't mind from little bending.
Home use aimed more decorated Edition with 3m straight cable goes to ~£140, which wouldn't leave room for ModMic if you don't want to use any "lavalier" mic.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antl...hable-boom-microphone-muteless-sp-042-al.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/antlion-audio-modmic-v4-attachable-boom-microphone-sp-041-al.html

Though Beyerdynamics are easy DIY mic mod if you can find some flexible arm 3,5mm mic:
https://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H

Beyerdynamic sells basically every part as spare part if something wears, so those are easy to keep going for years.
Anyway design is from time when things were designed for durability instead of fancy look.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread, so hope Michael Willis doesn't mind this

I like the look of the DT990's and price is right around my budget.
Before reading through this sub I was heading towards wireless Corsair's so I feel like I am learning the do's and don'ts

Looking for a pair of headphones for mainly gaming (music/videos not a priority), but not so much competitive gaming (CS:GO etc) and hearing footsteps
I like playing single player games/campaigns and really getting into them (Bioshock, Skyrim, pottering about on Minecraft) so I suppose it would be immersion I favour?

Would these DT990s be suitable do you think?
Another thing to note is I play on a MSI GT62VR 7RD laptop, so not sure whether 3.5mm vs USB is another thing to factor in...

Soldato
Looking for a pair of headphones for mainly gaming (music/videos not a priority), but not so much competitive gaming (CS:GO etc) and hearing footsteps
I like playing single player games/campaigns and really getting into them (Bioshock, Skyrim, pottering about on Minecraft) so I suppose it would be immersion I favour?

Would these DT990s be suitable do you think?
Another thing to note is I play on a MSI GT62VR 7RD laptop, so not sure whether 3.5mm vs USB is another thing to factor in...
While having very good bass for open headphone DT990 isn't exactly some details covering headphone and would handle also some competive gaming nicely.
It's just more balanced also for giving some fun immersion, instead of keeping bass "in rear seat to details" like neutral bass headphones.

Standard Realteks can drive it easily above safe for longer term listening volume, so any laptop with properly done sound output shouldn't have problems.
And 250 ohm impedance just makes it less sensitive to some circuitry background noise.

Associate
While having very good bass for open headphone DT990 isn't exactly some details covering headphone and would handle also some competive gaming nicely.
It's just more balanced also for giving some fun immersion, instead of keeping bass "in rear seat to details" like neutral bass headphones.

Standard Realteks can drive it easily above safe for longer term listening volume, so any laptop with properly done sound output shouldn't have problems.
And 250 ohm impedance just makes it less sensitive to some circuitry background noise.

That sounds like a great balance, for when I do feel like playing the occasional FPS multiplayer too
Appreciate the info, think I'll be going for these in the not too distant future - thanks

Back
Top Bottom