What I ate in Korea

Caporegime
As titled, inspired from the other thread, thought I would just post some photos of some of the things I had. I didn't photograph the hotel breakfast much but the view was good and I did try these.

Kimchi & some dried fish and peanuts....toppings/sides for theudon.

AkaGSVJ.jpg

bGE5yJE.jpg

At9Ddgo.jpg

So...

Day 1 Seoul -> Busan

Cheese cake on the train, got from a place call Paris Baguette.

B00wAaW.jpg

Got to Busan and went to Lotte Mall and they were closing so got these cheap. Some weird Korea sushi with mussels as toppings. Some REALLY spicy fried chicken and even more spicy fried rice....

ZokTewe.jpg

I had no idea what this is, not that nice, I think it is rice milk?

9FF14d4.jpg

Day 2

Another mystery drink, I do this on purpose...buy drinks i can't get elsewhere. This was okay, it taste like roasted something in the photo.

nlHTQRF.jpg

Korea Busan style fish cake.

v9LnxRC.jpg

Then went to this place...

OzGKb57.jpg

They sold (and I knew this before hand), bugs...?

Vu6dw27.jpg

I had octopus instead.

HwJGfkR.jpg

UVB5mWz.jpg

In the afternoon I was in a rush to another place and grabbed a cold beef burger sliders

D0nPmH0.jpg

Dinner was a stone pot rice pot, everything in this is spicy, including the soup.....the kimchi was the least spicy thing. Looking at that brings back the memory of my mouth on fire.

6OlNZdM.jpg

WNRDU5M.jpg

Dessert

LwBD4B3.jpg

Late night snack from the supermarket.

0KzQuyb.jpg

Seen these crisps on a food vlogg before. No idea of the flavour....I think it was honey? honey frog?! Who knows?!

ZmF98rI.jpg

qsDO4UV.jpg

Day 3

Breakfast

4S27oCi.jpg

AgDkuHk.jpg

SfWhnNJ.jpg

Now in Seoul.

Shaved ice

weLRBRv.jpg

tCzJi7u.jpg

it was after 4pm so the stalls are setting up their street stalls.

w5HRh6M.jpg

But I went and found a Korean corndog. They cover it in sugar, mayo and ketchup

D9TpZF0.jpg

eXvRdXw.jpg

Korean Fish cake

5HxHtlO.jpg

kMs9IM9.jpg

Squid time

1L9myDb.jpg

BJvYSuW.jpg

aOvX1VU.jpg

Day 4

Lunch, they love their sides

Ps5AkCx.jpg

XhJzaST.jpg

Dinner - wanted Cococurry

1BUgJAX.jpg

Day 5

I went to Shake Shack

aPgSEXK.jpg

Ramen

P8a5EpC.jpg

Tteok-bokki (Rice cake)

UePgNAj.jpg

Day 6

Korean Fried Chicken, unlimited radish (white squares) and nachos to be had.

gjFI57i.jpg

I ate more, like McDonalds :p and Starbucks, but I still not had loads of things, in particular....Korean BBQ....food regret!

Underboss
Fantastic photos as expected, I alwasy see a Korean grilled cheese with egg sandwich type thing all over Instagram, looks great.

Wing wing in Tavistock Square, London does some fantastic Korean wings but those looks very nice.

Soldato
Gawd I miss Asian food, thing that irks me the most about moving back to England.

Don't get me wrong, I like a Chinese takeaway but there ain't nothing Chinese about it.

Soldato
Gawd I miss Asian food, thing that irks me the most about moving back to England.

Don't get me wrong, I like a Chinese takeaway but there ain't nothing Chinese about it.

Yea in the majority it's not great.

I worked in Cambridge for a while, and in the market in the middle of town there is a Thai food van (bit like a burger van) and they sell the kinda normal pad Thai etc which is on the menu, but they also used to do the daily specials which were not openly advertised.

I used to see Asian people sitting there eating various things so I asked, and they said if I was sure lol.

The things were a bit like above, but some soups that had offal and stuff like that in, I loved it though, proper Thai food. They got to know me after a while so always just went for "the special".

I guess they are used to people being fussy about what they eat, I'd eat those bugs in the picture above no problems though.

Caporegime
OP
In part, yes, in part, no.

The Fried Chicken they cover them in sauce, you don’t do that in the west at all.

The burger was from Paris Baguette, their version of Gregg’s, but 10x better.

The stuff that really make it Korea I didn’t eat as a lot of them are in restaurants that caters for group and they some don’t serve single persons. If they do, you will need to order 2 person portions, they don’t do single person portions. I was limited to mostly where I can eat by myself so the curry place is actually Japanese, the Ramen too was Japanese.

There are a ton of Korean stuff I didn’t try, the BBQ, the one where there is a big pan in the middle that you fry everything in, there was the Army stew, the North Korean Cold Noodles, sea food at the fish market (this was during Covid so I tried to avoid raw food) as one of the dishes was freshly killed squid that still moves.

Oh, traditional Korean full has a TON of sides, 1 main dish and minimum of like half a dozen sides. Lots of pickles too, lots.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it really that different or just different presentations?

Soup, fish cakes, ice cream, fried chicken, burgers etc.

I think as Raymond points out, whilst the "base" of the food might be very similar, it's the flavourings and the way that it's cooked that's likely very different from the west. Plus some of the things that's served up with it is very different.

Did you go recently @Raymond Lin? Looks like a lot of people wearing masks.

Caporegime
OP
I think as Raymond points out, whilst the "base" of the food might be very similar, it's the flavourings and the way that it's cooked that's likely very different from the west. Plus some of the things that's served up with it is very different.

Did you go recently @Raymond Lin? Looks like a lot of people wearing masks.

It was the week when Daegue had that spike of infections? :D

Soldato
Awesome. I wanna go. But no kimchi jigae? Or any stews? There's an awesome Korean stall near my work that does this. Tofu stew with pork in as well. Super spicy, guaranteed to clear out any cold you may have :p

Back
Top Bottom