1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is considered too excessive betting/gambling?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bassmansam, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

Earlier this month I applied for a mortgage and on Tuesday they asked for more my last 3 months bank statements. When i sent off my statements I started to wonder what they may think of all of my deposits to Sky bet , about 40-50 per week. Now of course I came across articles saying banks do not like gambling at all.. so GD, have i screwed myself with this?

I currently live at home and pay 100 rent and take home 1612 a month so I do have a a lot of disposable cash. I barely go out drinking/restaurants/cinema lately so I'm still saving around 800 per month. Just worried what the bank will think.

2. wedrum

Mobster

40-50 deposits or £40 to £50 ?

3. Diddums

Capodecina

Hard to say, but this is exactly the reason I tell people who get in to matched betting to use a separate account. Even for any other "fun" activities, I think keeping it all in a separate account is good practice.

4. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

I would easily spend that in a pub if I went every week.

5. adolf hamster

Soldato

my general rule for anything addictive is when you first find yourself saying/thinking "i can quit any time"

6. mattyg

Soldato

A mate of mine once put £100k down in order to try and win back some that he had lost...........Luckily his wife found out at that point. Threatened to leave and he sorted himself out.

Now he collects houses......He earns a lot....He put £400k cash in with a mate to set up a solicitors firm and had his money back within 12 months....Thats just one finger in one of many pies.

He put his gambling down to having too much money at too early an age.

7. Cambofrog

Wise Guy

They will just request you take their test on the mathematics of probability.

8. Begbie

Capodecina

Having a spare 400k about doesn't sound like he had too many problems.

One mans 100k is another mans 100.

I struggled with a mortgage on a higher wage, and not too far off the same outgoings. Probably about £150-200. In the end I was advised to wait, I also have a very good credit score (according to experian).

There was one thing on it that scared most major banks off, which has now cleared. So I get to go through the whole joyful experience again! :(

9. pokerking

Wise Guy

I did gamble a while ago, every pay day I was excited put £70 on skybet and lost most of ths time, felt bad for a few days then waited for the next pay day. Slowly putting more on and it got to a point where I thought I can win big and used my rent £600 and lost it all.

Never felt so low and bad in all my life, cost me debt and a failed loan as the bank Halifax did not seem too impressed with my deposits and banking history.

I think it does impact decisions where somebody has to look at your statements.

10. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

The latter

11. balky12

Mobster

Too much is when you find yourself betting further just to make money back, imo.

It varies. I could do £100 a month and be 'fine' with losing the lot. £300 and my social life will suffer. Anything over £500 and I'm putting strain on feeding myself and house bills.

However if I go to the horse races I will go with a few hundred, but then I Would be saving in advance...

When the fun stops. STOP. :D

I am always slinging money on BET365, got a mortgage 6/7 months agp, nothing was said and I had no problems.

12. asim18

Capodecina

They dont care about your little gambling habit. They just want to see your statements to make sure you'll be a good slave for them for the next 30 years.

13. Cambofrog

Wise Guy

I agree with you asim.
    Op... just pay in cash ???!!!111

14. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

And the alternative is...

15. Dis86

Capodecina

I wouldn't say it's a crazy amount.

16. Holst1981

Hitman

£50 a week seems like a lot to me.
    That's £2500 a year if you lose it all.

17. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

If i lost every week i would of given up long ago. Not sure if banks approve even if you are in profit though.

18. Cambofrog

Wise Guy

OP, you just need to show that your gambling credits exceed your gambling debits to a mortgage provider via your bank statements. Easy.

19. HangTime

Man of Honour

Being profitable doesn't tell the whole story because they are looking for risk factors, and somebody who makes frequent gambling deposits will be deemed a higher risk (i.e. might they reach a situation in the future where they cannot afford to pay their mortgage).

I used to sometimes deposit a couple of grand a month but have reined that in as may need to apply for a mortgage this year.

20. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

Yeah, thing is where i don't pay much rent(£100) I am quite comfortable financially and that's why I can bet that much and it doesn't affect me. Just not sure the bank will see it that way..