What is Docker and what is its benefits?

Associate
Hi there.

I am a long-terms user of Linux and keep coming across references to Docker.

I have done some reading on it and I still don't quite understand what it is and when to use it - all the articles seem a bit over my head.

I would be really grateful if someone might explain, in basic terms, what it is.

Even if I do not end up using it, I am really interested to know what all hype is about.

Soldato
Hi there.

I am a long-terms user of Linux and keep coming across references to Docker.

I have done some reading on it and I still don't quite understand what it is and when to use it - all the articles seem a bit over my head.

I would be really grateful if someone might explain, in basic terms, what it is.

Even if I do not end up using it, I am really interested to know what all hype is about.

In simplest terms...you understand what a Virtual Machine is? It's a virtual software host for an operating system.

Docker (containers) are virtual hosts for applications.

So you don't install an application into an operating system. You create a version of the application that exists inside a container, and isn't aware at all of the host operating system. Now your application can be spun up, duplicated, zipped around, destroyed etc inside datacenters across a huge array of host servers as and when it's needed.

Back
Top Bottom