What is fundamentally flawed on your car?

Soldato
The glovebox. Rest of the car is fairly decent to work on and logical.

The damper on the glovebox causes the majority to be broken. Poor design. Well, great design, poor understanding of the public's lack of care.

Soldato
The glovebox. Rest of the car is fairly decent to work on and logical.

Reminds me that mine is pretty badly laid out.

Glovebox is fine in and of itself, nothing wrong with it. But for some reason the control unit for the satnav is in there (as opposed to, well, anywhere else) meaning the capacity of the glovebox is reduced to the point you can fit about 2 mars bars in it.....

Soldato
Lack of Bluetooth Audio streaming despite having Bluetooth for calls. I'll get around to buying and fitting one of the Android Auto units that integrates with the OEM display and controls at some point (W204 Cl Class)

is yours a pre-facelift? as my 2012 certainly can stream music from my phone, its hit and miss if spotify is not already open but other than that it usually works.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Model 3 - not being able to Answer the phone unless you hit the button on the screen.

The right scroll wheel activates voice commands (the left does volume) so the right would be a perfect button to answer/hang up.

Soldato
The boot lid doesn't hold itself when fully open when on anything but a completely flat surface. Been smacked on the back of my noggin' a couple of times when reaching in to empty the boot!

I'm not entirely sure if this is by poor design or something that needs fixing. Apparently cars after 2018 had the upgraded springs because Alfa Romeo added more damping materials to the boot lid, and you can also order the spoiler which comes with upgraded springs because of the additional weight (not sure if this is OEM or not).

Either way what doesn't make sense is my car was manufactured in 2021 and it also comes with the spoiler as standard on the trim level I have, so would have thought it would have upgraded springs...

Associate
Mk3 focus. (None facelift think the controls may be better on the facelift)

The cabin pressure vents that are behind the rear bumper and the rubber seal. This is In line of the drain path of the water near the light cluster.
Theres sound deadening in part of this void, it fills with water then leaks into the boot.

The heating controls. They're just faffy I got used to it when driving it daily. But now I don't, I have to look down when driving to make adjustments.

Turning circle is dreadful. It's like that Austin Powers scene with the golf buggy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not technically a car I own, but the new Fiesta Mk8 facelift has gone up in price, no longer comes with alloys on the base or second tier trim, it’s now steel wheels only, they removed the electrically heated and folding door mirrors, removed the higher tune engines, the 155 and removed the 3 door versions.

Soldato
W204 C63 Saloon
1. Interior build quality could be a from a 1990s Chinese plastic toy. Random creaks from all over the dash/centre console. The leather however is good quality and wears well.
2. Amount of fuel it uses!
2.1 - 60L fuel tank. Can empty a tank in less in 200 miles and that's day to day driving. When out for a jaunt expect 150-175 miles.
3. Lack of LSD. >450HP from the rears.
4. The facelift car had the front bumper redesigned which severely restricted the front radiator airflow.
5. Ride is very hard even on 18s. Saving grace is the very comfortable seats.
6. It's a small car, even the rear seats in the saloon can't fit anyone bigger than an average teenager in.

However the noise and V8 burble is worth it.

Associate
The foot operated brake on my XC90 - wouldn't be a problem if it was an automatic but this one is a manual - notorious for failing at MOT time.
Also, the swirl flaps on the XC90 - there is a plastic arm which wears out - no idea why it isn't metal! The swirl flap kit is an expensive fix.

Soldato
Ford decided that in order to make the five cylinder engine fit in the bay they needed to downsize the steering rack quite a bit. So sometimes I end up like Austin Powers with a 245 point turn.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The same fundamental problem with all estate cars, you can't fit three adults/car seats + adult(s) in the back seats comfortably so you have to buy a life-over mobile because you accidentally had another kid :(

Caporegime
The same fundamental problem with all estate cars, you can't fit three adults/car seats + adult(s) in the back seats comfortably so you have to buy a life-over mobile because you accidentally had another kid :(

I think that's a fundamental flaw with you, not the car. Snip snip.

Soldato
Mine has a few annoying bits, none fatal unless or until they eventually break. In no particular order…
- bonnet release and fuel filler release are the same size and shaped levers and next to each other and it is easy to forget and pul the wrong one.
- the in badge boot opener handle is meant to be for enmergency / secondary use and feels fragile but releasing the boot with the remote key is very sluggish and there is nowhere to easily grip and lift the boot
- having a big bright distracting screen that is fine with a dark themed Waze but not so good at night when adjusting the heating and fans. The default icons are small for the screen size and non intuitive and my passenger cannot set it just right for me without a stressful conversation!
- the boot opening is narrow for the size of the boot making it not so useful for bigger items
- it’s turning me totally into a non enthusiastic driver. As much fun as it is to make my little SUV lean and skip about it is there isn’t a lot of steering and car feedback to engage with. The car becomes utilitarian transport and I now choose to take the bus to work more. I miss my 2 seater convertible or even having my Volvo working as it was more engaging.

Soldato
Another list to add to the already decent contributions above for the w204 :D

Satnav volume, if you want to turn it up or down you can only do it whilst its speaking, took far to long to figure that one out! tbf it see's little usage as like most inbuilt systems my phone does a far better job.
The footbrake, in anything other than warm weather is slow to disengage and have to manually pull it up, no amount of getting it cleaned/oiled has sorted that. Also not sure how it passes an MOT as it seeming does very little?!
Still not figured out the voice controls or what it can do, irc its limited to the satnav and with the above point is probably why it stays unused.

The GTO, the worst thing i can come up with is the boot drain holes seemingly get blocked at the slightest whiff of grit, age related issues aside what it does do it does well.
edit that, the rear lights, probably related to the drain holes, but they do like to turn into little fish tanks and rust the bulb holders that can give some interesting lighting if you dont keep on top of it. drilled some holes in the bottom of them that seems to have sorted it but its a common issue for sure.

Caporegime
On my 428i GC the internal boot opener. I can't reach it unless the door is open. its low down on the a pillar just above the bonnet release and OBD port. It's not even visible from the drivers seat and it's easier to just press the button on the keyfob.

Back
Top Bottom