What is it about E46 coupes?

Soldato
this might just be some random observation by me, but what exactly is it about E46 coupes that make them look so much more expensive and upmarket than their 4 door siblings?
i don't even think it's purely down to the shape either.
they always seem to look more "spangly" and expensive than the 4 door version even to the point where i've thought they may receive a higher quality paint/laquer finish...which of course is unlikely.
the 4 door models blend in, yet i always notice a coupe and for whatever reason i seem to notice them in some cases before i've been able to tell it's a 2 door and not a 4 door.

might be a rant, might be a genuine observation held by others but hey...this IS the motors forum after all isn't it?

Soldato
I can't say I've noticed the same (But I'm biased :p), but perhaps it's the lower, more tapered line that you notice rather than the "spangly"-ness? Or maybe it's that, typically, an E46 saloon owner has a "car" and an E46 coupe owner has a "pride and joy"? Hence the better looks from being better kept :\

Man of Honour
Becuase 80% of the Saloons you see are 316 and 318's with black plastic door handles, base alloys and SE bumpers, whereas most of the Coupe's are more upmarket models.

Compare a 330i Sport and a 330Ci Sport and you'll note both look nice.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Compare a 330i Sport and a 330Ci Sport and you'll note both look nice.
Not a fan of Beemers, but looking at Nick and Merlins black 3'ers today changed my mind. The coupe looks better though, more sleek :)

Neil.

Soldato
p1010637mediumwl8.jpg

p1010636mediumrj8.jpg

:)

Permabanned
The_Dark_Side said:
this might just be some random observation by me, but what exactly is it about E46 coupes that make them look so much more expensive and upmarket than their 4 door siblings?
i don't even think it's purely down to the shape either.
they always seem to look more "spangly" and expensive than the 4 door version even to the point where i've thought they may receive a higher quality paint/laquer finish...which of course is unlikely.
the 4 door models blend in, yet i always notice a coupe and for whatever reason i seem to notice them in some cases before i've been able to tell it's a 2 door and not a 4 door.

might be a rant, might be a genuine observation held by others but hey...this IS the motors forum after all isn't it?

I gotta say i agree, the 4 dr just doesnt stand out, sport or no sport, the coupe just looks good, even the silver 318 coupe that was posted here a few weeks ago.

I always used to think the 406 coupe was a beautifull car, i also think the 3'er coupe is in the same league.

Back
Top Bottom