What is the game you hoped would appear yet never did?

Soldato
When I was growing up with gaming and as we eventually moved to the PC I thought there would be a massive social MMO, maybe the next generation to SecondLife, that would appear and have cross appeal to everyone.

Considering SecondLife was released in 2003 and there hasn't been anything similar to that on the mainstream market by now, I'm disappointed.

I remember hearing of one game that was going to be 1:1 the size of earth and would be a virtual version of the world with lots of things to do. But I've not heard anything about that since.

So my question is, what game did you hope would appear in the future but never arrived? Maybe its based on games you've already played and thought at some point there would be an updated version to it.

I think the only game from the past that I can think of that updated was Elite to Elite Dangerous, and in the same genre, No Man's Sky.

Man of Honour
Not sure it is quite retro gaming but still - I always hoped to see something similar to No Man's Sky but better and around 10 years earlier when things like Infinity engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muhlQYFgLE and Evochron Mercenary, etc. were emerging with lots of hype. It has never really arrived - now there is Star Citizen trying that kind of thing but meh.

Was hoping for a long time to see a large scale, persistent, FPS war game somewhat in the style of Eve Online in terms of persistence and "empire building" but FPS, including whole functional cities, etc. but it hasn't really happened (I don't really count Planetside).

Last edited:
Caporegime
After the likes of Rally Championship 2000 and then seeing GTA 3 come along, I always dreamt of an open world driving game depicting the entirety of the UK that you could drive in real time.

We came close with the likes of Test Drive Unlimited (and TDU2) with its pretty much real representation of O’ahu, but nothing that really gives me that buzz of driving the UK backroads. Euro Truck Simulator would be epic with real roads rather than the generic cack it actually has. Likewise Forza Horizon 4 would be far better with a more realistic distance between the Cotswolds and Edinburgh for example, driving it in 2 minutes is a bit... lame.

Associate
Racing sims with a true career mode. Drivers could get injured and miss races (or if really bad game over). This was a feature in Flight Sims years back (I think Aces of the Pacific?) so why not in a driving sim? I know its controversial, the FIA and car manufacturers would veto! From a gaming or immersion sense, would add an interesting twist.

A massive online war game, like Operation Flashpoint, Arma and Battlefield but on a massive scale. Players choose to be ground troops, pilots, artillery or sailors, the flight sim is not a dumbed down affair (thin Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik) etc. Its getting closer though.

Man of Honour
The next Command & Conquer game. Instead we got some cheap knock off that was branded with the C&C name (C&C Generals) and the series died there :(

Associate
After the likes of Rally Championship 2000 and then seeing GTA 3 come along, I always dreamt of an open world driving game depicting the entirety of the UK that you could drive in real time.

We came close with the likes of Test Drive Unlimited (and TDU2) with its pretty much real representation of O’ahu, but nothing that really gives me that buzz of driving the UK backroads. Euro Truck Simulator would be epic with real roads rather than the generic cack it actually has. Likewise Forza Horizon 4 would be far better with a more realistic distance between the Cotswolds and Edinburgh for example, driving it in 2 minutes is a bit... lame.

I wonder if Google Street view could be used to implement something like this if a developer could obtain a license to use the data.

Soldato
I wonder if Google Street view could be used to implement something like this if a developer could obtain a license to use the data.

The Getaway on PS2 was surprisingly close to that for the time.. it was almost unnerving getting to drive like a lunatic round a map I already partly knew.

Soldato
Both heavily previewed at the time.

Team Fortress 2 in it's original incarnation, and to a lesser extent Halo. TF2 was more realistic in the older fortress mould, halo looked more battlefield.

TF2 was a big one for me at the time, the half life mods were everything and Valve were putting out some decent footage of the game.

Associate

Never tried Test Drive I'll have to try and hunt down a copy.

Euro Truck Sim based on real maps, oh yeah! A close representation to the real thing would be very cool. I would buy! I do like ETS but the UK roads throw me - strange pylons, scenery, roads junctions & carriageway exits etc.

Back
Top Bottom