What is the legal age to smoke in the UK?

Soldato
It isn't really that odd, it is to protect children, it does mean there are a few silly incidents where 2 underage people get done when who cares if they are both under age or someone takes a picture of themself. bit hard to abuse yourself!
But mainly it works in protecting children from older men/women.

good simple law that mainly works, to get rid of these weird loopholes it would have to ber very complex.

I don't mind smoking and drinking being 18 either. I was stupid at 17.

Still, once you are 18 you should be able to do as you wish. which you can't that annoys me more. /rolls up a fat biff.

Also having to look 25 to buy cigs, wtf. that makes me mad, they say it isn't personal but it is because they have judged my appearance and insulted me by saying I look under 25.

If it was a maximum age and they started guessing womens age it wouldn't last long.

I leave all my stuff on the counter, cause a fuss and go elsewhere.

Soldato
Also having to look 25 to buy cigs, wtf. that makes me mad, they say it isn't personal but it is because they have judged my appearance and insulted me by saying I look under 25.

Someone feels "insulted" because they get told they look under 25 ??

:confused:

It isn't really that odd, it is to protect children, it does mean there are a few silly incidents where 2 underage people get done when who cares if they are both under age or someone takes a picture of themself. bit hard to abuse yourself!
But mainly it works in protecting children from older men/women.

good simple law that mainly works, to get rid of these weird loopholes it would have to ber very complex.

Still, once you are 18 you should be able to do as you wish. which you can't that annoys me more. /rolls up a fat biff.

It annoys you because its illegal to smoke cannabis but you should be allowed to do what you want when you are 18 ??

Yet the start of your post mentions another law you agree with so thats ok.... Sorry, cant pick and choose what laws you follow...

Soldato
Looks good but it would be nice if it was off some Government site.

I doubt the government is gonna say something like that straight up/directly. eg. "There are no minimum age laws on possession and smoking of tobacco, only buying and selling".

Soldato
Someone feels "insulted" because they get told they look under 25 ??

:confused:

It annoys you because its illegal to smoke cannabis but you should be allowed to do what you want when you are 18 ??

Yet the start of your post mentions another law you agree with so thats ok.... Sorry, cant pick and choose what laws you follow...

I am simply expressing my opinion on the laws mentioned above. Some I agree with and some I don't, I will choose to follow the ones I prefer until someone catches me. I feel the government are wrong so I either stop doing something I like or break the law.

I am an advocate of freedom in general but feel children should be protected from addictive substances until they fully understand the concequences of their actions.You can argue that some adults at 18 are more stupid than some children at 17 but a line has to be drawn somwhere or it becomes complicated so it is making the best solution of a complex problem.

Yes and I find someone thinking I am 14 when I am 24 insulting.

I gave them some abuse and got the Fast show DVD in the end. :rolleyes: (it is a 15)

Soldato
I've always found it odd that at 16 you can get married, have a baby, but not have a drink to celebrate (unless at home or when buying a meal)..

Soldato
Yes and I find someone thinking I am 14 when I am 24 insulting.

So you felt insulted that someone thought you were under 25 and the fact is you ARE under 25 ?? :confused:

Have been "challenge 25'd" myself (as my local supermarket chain called it) and I just smiled and said she was my new fav person that day before showing some ID :D

As for your other point - I completely agree about the kids thing, I was just using it to illustrate a point about choosing laws to follow and choosing not to follow others... It could have been any law you dont like not just that one per se.

Associate
What would be police do if a few 12 year olds were smoking?? At least stop them or would there be nothing they could do, apart maybe say it's bad, mmmm 'kay??

Section 7(3) of the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 states the following:-

(3) It shall be the duty of a constable and of a park-keeper being in uniform to seize any tobacco or cigarette papers in the possession of any person apparently under the age of sixteen years whom he finds smoking in any street or public place, and any tobacco or cigarette papers so seized shall be disposed of, if seized by a constable, in such manner as the police authority may direct, and if seized by a park-keeper, in such manner as the authority or person by whom he was appointed may direct.

Cigarettes and Booze are regularly confiscated from groups of youths - the area I work in uses Special Constables and PCSO's under the direction of a couple of Police Officers to patrol hotspots for nuisance youths - you just wouldn't believe the amount seized! (and no it doesn't go to the Staff annual party - it gets destroyed).

There isn't as far as I am aware any law that says "it is an offence for any person under the age of X to smoke", but the above law obviously stops anyone under 16 years of age smoking or posessing tobacco etc in a public place. In otherwords the child isn't going to be prosecuted if they are found in such circumstances.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom