What is the most impressive game you know of?

Soldato
Title doesnt really do it justice here, but we are in the middle of a conversation here about games, or more specifically certain parts of games, or a game, and we are talkign about how they have come on since the early days.

I am not really one for owning too many games I have to admit, I have the entire collection of Doom, Quake, UnReal , UnReal Tourney series, and Halo and FarCry, but other than that, my collection is lame, so myselkf I cannot comment on some of the others out there.

My most impressive part of any game, and I am sure that some will agree with me on this bit, is in HalfLife 2, in the Anti-Citizen section, where all around you, there is all sorts of action going on, constant battles over here or there... One part, is when oyu are ona rooftop and you have to shoot down the airship with the Rocket Launcher, and below you in the courtyard thingy, is a massive battle going on with the citizens and the striders... Absolutely loads all going on at once, and the detail of that game really comes into play on these particular sections in the game.

I myself think that this is perhaps one of the most impressive things I have ever seen so far on a PC.

Admittedly, the most depressing part of any game, is also HalfLife 2 too!

"Sorry Doc", or even "Reload Dr Freeman" justhas to be single most irritating thing ever!

Anyone got anything to add?

Perhaps, so I can get the game myself too, add to my collection of the good uns yeah?

Man of Honour
The Omaha Beach level on MOH:AA was one of the most impressive levels in any game I've ever played. You really had a feel for what it was like with gunfire all around and people getting blown up. Great game, but that level was something special.

More to be added as I think of them....

Soldato
Davey_Pitch said:
The Omaha Beach level on MOH:AA was one of the most impressive levels in any game I've ever played. You really had a feel for what it was like with gunfire all around and people getting blown up. Great game, but that level was something special.

Have to agree with that, even though i died soo many times doing it :mad:

Firing up Ut2K3 with all the settings on high when i finally got a decent GFX card was also awesome :D

Seeing the zombie at the beginning of the original Resident Evil, that game used to really scare me :p

Associate
Pah, all this modern fancy-pants technical wizardry :D

When you first unleash Super Nashwan Power in XenonII MegaBlast..... kin awesome it was.

Man of Honour
I'll also be the first to throw in the T-Rex bit in the original Tomb Raider. Anyone who played it back then will know exactly what I mean. It was simply a pant wetting time, realising a T-Rex was trying to eat you and all you had was a poxy shotgun!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Davey_Pitch said:
I'll also be the first to throw in the T-Rex bit in the original Tomb Raider. Anyone who played it back then will know exactly what I mean. It was simply a pant wetting time, realising a T-Rex was trying to eat you and all you had was a poxy shotgun!

Bah I wanted to say that first :p

It's a bit of a wide question really, there's so many things that spring to mind. The starting sequence to FF7, some of the scenes in Call of Duty that I felt rather immersed in, there were a few moments in Halo too that made me just think 'Wow'.
The annoying thing is with both Call of Duty and Halo I can't remember the exact moments :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll think of more later on :)

Associate
Well, games which made me feel emotional (maybe even cried) for the characters are Terranigma and Final Fantasy VII, while I think the game which had the best story for me and really done it well is Chronotrigger with it's time-skipping events and stuff. It's almost the 'perfect' game for me.

The games which I enjoy best with friends are Super Mario Kart when I have friends around and Guild Wars/Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2 over the internet. I just love the community where you join other players and help each other out.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Ahh I just remembered. The start of HL1 was very impressive the first time I saw it :) Was never hugely keen on the game but the start was memorable.

Associate
some of the scenes in Call of Duty that I felt rather immersed in

I really found the defending of the Bridge, with the timer counting down to the time your reinforcements were to arrive and the music kicked in - spine tingling stuff.

And far too times in WOW have I gasped at how fantastic the game really is !

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
W00dy said:
I really found the defending of the Bridge, with the timer counting down to the time your reinforcements were to arrive and the music kicked in - spine tingling stuff.

Ahh I remember that :)
Think I'm going to have to reinstall it, got far too many vague memories of it for such a good game :o

Permabanned
Davey_Pitch said:
I had a feeling you would :p

I'll add Mafia as well, the opening sequence was incredible and really brought you into the game. The whole thing was amazing, but the opening set it up perfectly.

I have to agree. Mafia was/is a very impressive game and the starting was very very impressive.

Soldato
Davey_Pitch said:

Until you play it again, and see how ridiculously scripted it is :D

I have to agree with the view in Far Cry. Was the first game I played after getting my A64 and 6800, and it literally took my breath away.

Associate
Have too agree on the MOH or call of duty thing.

the russian part of the campaign in COD was great......stuck on the boat going across the river was superb.

Far crys view is also a big WOW moment.

Back
Top Bottom