What is the most you have spent on a game?

Soldato
On in game content probably FIFA 16 back when i was into it maybe £120 on UT points. Utter waste and never played FIFA since.

For in game services probably WoW. Game time/transfers/race changes probably closer to £500. More comfortable with these purchases given i have like 10k+ hours in WoW since 2011 -2020. Skipping Shadowlands.

Man of Honour
Eve Online I don't even want to think - but that was spread over 6 years of playing - talking well into the thousands. Most other games have been sub £100.

Associate
Probably one of the stupid gacha games I got addicted to over my early 20s and probably in the region of at least a thousand.

Besides that, WoW and Path of Exile and I don't know how much. WoW account has multiple thousands of pounds worth of loot card unlocks on it, but I bought them all when they were in the hundreds rather than thousands

Soldato
Still cheaper than Neo-Geo games though.:eek:

Yeah, my local games shop used to sell Neo Geo's plus the games. I often wondered who was buying them as I never saw or knew anyone who owned the system or bought the games.

I got the impression the owner wanted one, bought it for themselves and hoped to offset the cost by selling a few and using it as a way to draw people into their shop to buy other stuff!

For info in case anyone under 35 wonders what we're talking about! :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_(system)

Personally I'm still traumatized that Sony have upped the PS5 RRP to £70 for first party titles ;)

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Apart from the base game, expansions and monthly subs to MMO`s when they was actually good (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, Secret World) nothing.

Skins, dances, emotes you name it are stupid, mean nothing and should be banned.

The industry preys on addiction and young children into thinking it the norm, hence why Epic, EA etc need to be fined significantly.

Soldato
I pre-ordered Cities Skylines for around £17 IIRC but then over the years I bought most of the DLC's, perhaps only missing a couple of them. Not sure how much in total this has cost but with over 1k in play hours it has been more than worth it. Paradox published titles seem to be very DLC rich, not complaining as they also tend to offer patches and support for a long time.

Soldato
I forgot I'd subbed to Star Citizen, back when it sounded like it was going to be a great game, so ended up spending a couple hundred more on that than I'd have liked.
I've bought a few cosmetic bits for a couple quid here and there, in games that I'd really enjoyed and sunk hundreds or even thousands of hours into, such as Elite.
Mostly I just wait until the Ultimate Edition of a game is dirt cheap on Steam or the like and buy everything for a fiver or so.

Associate
If MMO games and their subscriptions count, then probably around £3k+ on EVE Online (monthly subscription since 2004 plus buying PLEX for ISK prizes to give to people in corp/alliance competitions).
Second to that would be either my FFXIV subscription or the bits & pieces I've backed in Star Citizen.

I reckon if I add the costs from all the MMO games I've played, I'd have probably spent £16k+ over the years on subscriptions alone.

Most I've paid for regular offline game would be either Europa Universalis IV with all the expansions or various Train Simulator add-ons.

Soldato
Probably Sims 2 many years ago for the missus with all the expansions (not all, just most of them) usually at full price.
Currently, the same but its Sims 4 for her instead although key sites have reduced the outlay.

I would say its Civ 5 or Tropico 4 for me with all the DLC.

Soldato
I was just watching a video of a guy who plays Black Desert Online and he's spent $160k (about £115k) on cash shop items.

I've never bought anything in a game.

Do you guys spend money in games?

You should probably include games that have a monthly subscription in that.

I must have had a runescape sub for ~8-10 years. I think that worked out around £40-45 a year, so probably around £400 overall. In the early days, they never had this concept of a game shop / DLC, but did eventually move to the lootbox approach about the time i started giving up on it.

Man of Honour
Difficult to say, it depends on how you define "spent on a game".

• Buying outright, no more than £45 back in the Megadrive era (maybe Streets of Rage 3), on PC even less, honestly don't think I've spent more than £35 on a PC game. Back in the day you could get brand new games for that or less, more recently I just wait for them to drop in price.
  • I've never subscribed to a single game on its own like MMORPGs although I do have Game Pass, there was a period where FH4 was the only thing I was playing on it, and I bought expansion packs, so arguably in total I probably spent £40-50
  • Hardware wise, I've spent a lot on Quakeworld over the years - probably about £500 on mice, over a grand on increasingly high refresh rate monitors, but I've also used them for other games so not 100% attributable, just the main driver
  • Travel wise, I'll have spent over £500 travelling to QW LAN events
Personally I'm still traumatized that Sony have upped the PS5 RRP to £70 for first party titles ;)

TBH when you take inflation into consideration, that's no more expensive than console games were in the mid 90s. The biggest titles like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo cost like £60 or something, equivalent of £120 today.

Caporegime
I think it's probably going to be Borderlands 3. £60 or so for the base game and then there's another two season passes to buy.

It may turn out that American Truck Simulator will eventually overtake that as that is my number one game on PC and I'll buy every bit of DLC they ever release for it.

Associate
TBH when you take inflation into consideration, that's no more expensive than console games were in the mid 90s. The biggest titles like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo cost like £60 or something, equivalent of £120 today.
I feel like they were overpriced to begin with so shouldn't have succumbed to the whims of inflation

Associate
Star Citizen game package and upgrading ship twice. about about £110.

I'm without a PC right now so just can't play it, but eventually I'll likley spend a little bit more on it too

Man of Honour
I feel like they were overpriced to begin with so shouldn't have succumbed to the whims of inflation
Games were expensive back in the day but I suppose you have to consider the marginal cost was a lot higher, you had to manufacture and distribute physical cartridges with extra ROM etc. Plus there was no DLC/microtransactions to top up the revenue stream, all you could do was sell the main games (although to be fair in the case of something like SF2, they milked it a bit releasing multiple versions, what today would have been sold as DLC was sold as separate full price games.

Back
Top Bottom