What is the oldest game you still play & install today?

Associate
Personally, it is the original Operation Flashpoint (2001). Whereas the series continues to evolve into the Arma. I love Arma 2 but struggle with Arma 3 - Whilst 3 is excellent, the future scenario (when compared to 2) just leaves me somewhat cold.

Anyway back to the point of this thread.

I remember PC Zone magazine raving about the Mission Editor (back in the day) as the game editor was supplied with Op Flash. I simply overlooked the editor at the time as it looked too complicated. The trouble was; in my view, when multi player games really started to take off (Quake, Team Fortress, DOD and Counter Strike) faffing about with an editor was not really appealing.

Anyway. What a mistake, years later, by trial and error, I gave it a go. Talk about a sand box!

When you consider the scope of what the developers were achieving and that you can make your own missions is incredible. Flashpoint never ceases to amaze me and still brings out those "what the..." unscripted and comical moments - For me a must have. :)

Associate
OP
I think it's Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Unless the old DOS games count running through DOSBox?

Gog games count :) I have a few games purchased on GOG which I have yet to play. My GOG games collection is the same as Steam - No clue as to how and when I will ever play! I resign (rather console) myself as stating I am a collector.

Last edited:
Soldato
I played through Motorhead from 1997. Also red alert which is 96 I believe. Right now, the oldest thing is MoHAA as I hope to play through the expansions, which I have never played before.

Mafia 1 gets played fairly regularly, every 6 months or so. That is 2002.

Soldato
Replayed Deus Ex and System Shock 2 this year

I have played DE 4 times and SS2 at least 6

EDIT: oh and I have also replayed Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines at least 4 times.

Man of Honour
The Operation Flashpoint editor was pretty awesome and a lot more powerful than it first appeared for making custom missions, etc. had some fun with that - sadly forgotten much of it now but I remember there were some neat tricks you could do with the scripting to do things that shouldn't have really been possible within the scope of it.

I think Quake 1 and 2 are the oldest games I've got installed and actively play - I still map and mod for quake 2 to this day and messing about with a custom campaign at the moment.

I have played DE 4 times

I've lost count - at least 12 play throughs now for Deus Ex - think I'm about done now though or at least it will be a good few years before I play again.

Caporegime
DOOM series: The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Master Levels for Doom.

The diversity and amount of mods available never cease to amaze me.

I think that's the oldest in my collection.

Associate
I'm currently playing through the beast within a Gabriel knight mystery from 1995, But I have wing commander 1990 and gobiiiins 1991 installed.

Associate
Play regularly would be Warcraft 3 and if I'm travelling I'll load up Neverwinter Nights on the laptop, both 2002 releases.

Oldest game I have on my PC is Dungeons of the Necromancers Domain, 1988 text based game. still a good way to waste an hour or two!

Back
Top Bottom