What is this thing?

Associate
What is this thing?

It's located/mounted directly on the top of the engine cover (underneath the carpet that goes on top). It doesn't say anything on it other than which side should face up. And nothing that actually comes through to the engine underneath.

It has two wires which are routed through to the cabin and then inside the centre console where ai cannot follow them without ripping quite a bit of trim out.

It's a (2006) 987.1 Cayman S. The part doesn't appear in the parts diagrams nor in any photos/videos on either seen on the web so I do not think it's stock.

Cheers

https://photos.app.goo.gl/spCmUhGoyckMEbC8A
[IMG]

Hmm that link doesn't seem to work. Any ideas how to fix?

Man of Honour
IMG-20191207-110554.jpg

There you go.

Man of Honour
any numbers on that label/barcode?

It looks a lot like a LAS54 magnetic tracker but is a little wider and not quite so high and lacks the logo.

EDIT: Other options - used for digitally piping engine noise into the cabin (seems unlikely here) or an ultrasonic counter-surveillance speech protector :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd undo the screws holding down the silver panel, and look underneath.

Its just the engine underneath. Nothing comes through. Seems to be stuck super hard on the top.

any numbers on that label/barcode?

Nope absolutely nothing!

Hmm now you've all said its a black box i'm wondering whether to rip it out.... I didn't buy this car to pootle along...
Seems a weird place to put it though. Its routed along quite a path from the engine behind you.
Makes the most sense though. As there's nothing else that logically fits...

Thanks for the help. I'll try an investigate further at the weekend!

Soldato
Most likely a tracker but I did a quick image search of standard engine covers and no OEM device as standard. Then tried insurance trackers and most are square or OBDII type devices. Intrigued now :)

Man of Honour
Seems a weird place to put a tracker. Probably wouldnt work very well there.

Depends - some of the more advanced ones with GSM and RF functionality, etc. would work there fine and if it is a magnetic tracker it might be the person placing it didn't really know what they were doing and just choose somewhere with a lot of metal to attach it to that wasn't immediately obvious.

Associate
OP
So update. I was back in the engine bay today swapping the air oil separator. And curiousity. Got the better off me. The thing is definitely not meant to be opened as the amount of glue is crazy. Anyway....

It looks like this on the inside...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4dqZNqYdcTdCFrro9

I still have no idea. Anyone wiser with this picture?Some of electronic chip but that doesn't particularly help as we knew that given the power going to it.

Back
Top Bottom