What is your hidden gem of a game?

Soldato
Do you have any hidden gems of games that aren't that popular, or its never talked about much. But when you loaded it up, you loved it and played many hours on it?

I have 2 of them

The first is a game called The Saboteur. I played it on the PS3, but I think its out on other formats. It was an open world game and the main character is an irish guy. It's set in Europe as the Nazi's are trying to take over. So you have to go around doing various missions. In my opinion it was a very underrated game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saboteur

The second one was based on the old American tv series Hill Street Blues, that was like a cop series. I played it on the Amiga (not sure if that can be considered a console! lol). It was a topdown view, like many games back then, and had the flavour of the early gta games, But it was through the eyes of a police station captain that had to send your police around the map arresting people, having shoot-outs and bringing them back to the station to be booked in. There is a few videos on youtube about it. But it's never really had the love I think it deserved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Street_Blues#Computer_game

What about you guys? Any little known games that took your fancy?

Man of Honour
There was an old strategy game called Z on the Sega Saturn that I absolutely loved, but it never seemed to be that popular.

Also Death Tank Zwei, which was a hidden game on Duke Nukem for the Sega Saturn is by far the best local multiplayer (7 players) game I have played, although my mum got banned from our family games for abusing rolling mines. This is basically real-time worms.

Soldato
I'd have to go for Midtown Madness and 1nsane - both amazing fun back in the day when I used to host a LAN weekend at my house - Friday night to Sunday afternoon crammed around my dining table with wires everywhere!

Cops vs Robbers on MM2 was awesome fun!

Soldato
Hostile Waters. It was a vehicle-based battle game with RTS elements, so you'd have to build vehicles, attack helicopters etc and could then kit them out with a Soulcatcher chip which was the electronically-stored conciousness of former pilots, tank commanders etc. The nice twist on it was that it let you also take control of vehicles (either by taking control of one with a chip, or building one with no chip at all) so you could get involved in dogfights, completing objectives, gathering resources or let your AI team mates do it.

Great voice acting too, the vehicles equpped with Soulcatcher chips would talk to each other during battle or quieter moments, quite clever for a game from the early 2000s. They'd also backchat you if you took control off them during a fight, or if you put someone who was a pilot into a land vehicle.

Soldato
To the Moon. Really moving story, lovely sound track too.

Rakuen. Same vein as To The Moon, made by the lady who did all the music for that game.

Spec ops: the line. Not exactly amazing but it told an incredible story imo, short and sweat, really worth a playthrough.

Its been on PS Plus so hopefully people have it a chance, SOMA. Another great story

Soldato
Hostile Waters. It was a vehicle-based battle game with RTS elements, so you'd have to build vehicles, attack helicopters etc and could then kit them out with a Soulcatcher chip which was the electronically-stored conciousness of former pilots, tank commanders etc. The nice twist on it was that it let you also take control of vehicles (either by taking control of one with a chip, or building one with no chip at all) so you could get involved in dogfights, completing objectives, gathering resources or let your AI team mates do it.

Great voice acting too, the vehicles equpped with Soulcatcher chips would talk to each other during battle or quieter moments, quite clever for a game from the early 2000s. They'd also backchat you if you took control off them during a fight, or if you put someone who was a pilot into a land vehicle.

I can't believe that you've cited the great voice acting without mentioning that it was narrated by Tom Baker! It was indeed a great game.

Caporegime
I think this should be current games only. No point mentioning games on an amiga when nobody will have access to it now.

Road Redemption - It's basically an updated version of road rash from the master system days. You are on a motorbike and you can kick / punch other riders and use weapons. It's a simple premise which makes it so good for pick up and play. Even better if you played rash back in the day.

Caporegime
Dodgem Arena for playstation is another. It was basically a combination of ice hockey / wipeout and the game they play in harry potter.

It was simply amazing the fact it didn't become a number 1 game must have been down to the publisher not advertising it or promoting it enough.

Caporegime
PixelJunk Nom Nom Galaxy. It really is hidden - if you find someone streaming it on Twitch, it's a miracle. And not because it's rubbish because it isn't. It's truly a hidden gem.

In a nutshell - you land on different planets, collect resources, build your mini base and craft soup. :p

It's available on PC and PS4. The only downside is that the framerate on PS4 can be quite janky. And although as soon as I bought my PC, I bought a copy of this game I've yet to play it on PC! I'm ashamed of myself.

Back
Top Bottom