What is your oldest working USB flash drive?

Man of Honour
I think off the top of my head 1G Memorex M Flyer TravelDrive. Might have something older I've forgotten about which may or may not still work.

Struggling to find out when I bought it and/or first released - the oldest mentions are around 2004/5 but I'm sure I bought it just before I moved in 2003.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Do people still use flash drives?
Only time i think I've used one the past few drives is for a windows install.

I still use them a fair bit - mostly for OS installs and/or live/to go OS setups not just Windows. I have 1-2 with useful utilities, etc. on which can be useful on the go as well and as a quick and handy file backup.

Caporegime
Got a handful of 256mb and 512mb ones from around 2008 that I keep because they are happy to work in Cisco switches, some of my newer ones just will not mount on these switches.

My oldest flash drive will be from 2010, 2GB. It arrived when I sent one of my BBC Micros away to RetroClinic to be modified so that it could take USB. I could then put the 2GB drive into the back of the Beeb which could carry the back catalogue of Beeb games plus any extra programs that I wrote myself.

The operating system, DFS (disk filing system) can access the 2GB drive if you typed in the following commands:

Code:
*RAM
*!EFD80=0
*CAT 5
*IMPORT GAMES.SSD or *IMPORT -02 GAMES.SSD
(etc)

Do people still use flash drives?

I still use them. As well as the above for my Beeb, I have a 128GB (115GB visible) and a 512GB (460GB visible) stuck into the back of my PC as temporary / scratch drives. Still get decent speeds via USB 3.0. Then I have a few 16GB's for diagnostics e.g. Spinrite, Memtest, Ubuntu Live CD etc.

Didn't they start out with 64mb or 128mb?

Yeah, I had a 64MB flash drive in 2004. It even had a red LED at the end that you could use as a flash light if you press a button by it. That lasted until 2009 before it started developing bad sectors.

None of my other flash drives have failed yet.

Associate
My oldest is a 128MB I bought from Argos years ago and it still works. I also upgraded to a 512MB flash drive not long after and that one still works.

Soldato
I've a 16gb Kingston stick, the one with the metal body so it's good for keeping on a keyring.

I've no idea how long I've had it for though, quite a long time and it's still truckin' on

Caporegime
I've got about 2500 4gb USB 2 drives sitting in my drawer brand new untouched. I told @Retro6 to send me his address if he wanted some but the dude just cold shouldered me, luckily I always have my Jacket of Rejection Protection +5 on. They're those crap old ones that you used to get from companies wanting to shove their marketing down your throat, but they come in very handy when people ask me for movies or shows or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom