• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What killed my i7-6900K?

Associate
OP
So I tried the 6900K with the latest bios and still have the same issue. Again, 6800k in the system and it's fine.

Underside of the cpu is spotless, no paste. I even looked for bent pins on the socket but it all looks fine to my eye.

I'm at a loss. The retailer which I probably can't name, is giving me the option of returning the board, but I'm not too convinced the board is an issue if it works with my 6800k.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Has the safety voltage jumper been moved to allow volts over 1.5 or 1.6? As I have pushed my 6850K with 1.50 odd volts before without problem.

Also have you changed any of the LLC settings? As its recommenced to run these with the LLC set to Level 6 on the X99 platform I believe.

Soldato
So I tried the 6900K with the latest bios and still have the same issue. Again, 6800k in the system and it's fine.

Underside of the cpu is spotless, no paste. I even looked for bent pins on the socket but it all looks fine to my eye.

I'm at a loss. The retailer which I probably can't name, is giving me the option of returning the board, but I'm not too convinced the board is an issue if it works with my 6800k.

It's working with the 6800k because it hasn't killed it yet?

Soldato
I'm not sure this is correct, as I have a Strix X99. You can running the memory in single, dual and quad configurations which isn't CPU dependent, are you getting confused with the X299 platform?

For example check the manual of the Gigabyte X99 Gaming, which I have
The weird is. That the last 2 BIOS patches, changed the 6800K/6850K configuration, compared to 6900K/6950X. And wasn't working by setting the memory as per manual. Had to download the new version.

Can find the pages of the two different manuals and post them, if you wish.

It's working with the 6800k because it hasn't killed it yet?
Muahhahahahah :D

Last edited by a moderator:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Can find the pages of the two different manuals and post them, if you wish.

Yes please, as I just looked at that manual and I could only find the same settings as X99 Strix, that's assuming its the X99 Gaming 5/7.

Soldato
Sometimes stuff just dies. Set you own volts on the board and just hope. Can i ask have you gone from a 6 core to a £850 8 core?

Associate
As soon as I saw the thread title I knew it would be this motherboard, I've got the same board and it killed my 6950X a while back, Intel RMA'd it without issue and the new CPU hasn't died, yet...

Associate

A dingo ate your 6900K, mate.

I have it on good authority.

Back
Top Bottom