What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Soldato
Mainly RedHat for production and CentOS for testing, since the changes to CentOS am looking at moving more to Ubuntu.

Outside these I am happy using any other distro, which ever suits the task.

Don
For a basic server, I use Debian. Used to always use Ubuntu, but it seems more geared towards cloud connected and cluster servers.

For my uses, a lovely clean Debian server is plenty :)

Soldato
Mainly RedHat for production and CentOS for testing, since the changes to CentOS am looking at moving more to Ubuntu.

Outside these I am happy using any other distro, which ever suits the task.
Why not AlmaLinux or Rocky in lieu of CentOS, over Ubuntu? In my experience, it's never too long before Ubuntu Server ***** the bed in production - usually at the worst possible time, and usually because of a cruddy update to netplan or a kernel patch. It's let me down too many times in the last few years (where a VPS provider has made it awkward to *not* use it) for me to want it anywhere near prod again. It's too much hassle. If I can't use *BSD, I reach for a RHEL clone, and if that's infeasible, Debian. I like Debian, but I hate how the 'Debian way' alters things like file locations, switches and/or the way they operate versus upstream.

Top Bottom