What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Not today but over the last couple of weekends

Recently moved to a new house, and while it had a couple of spare rooms where I could put my office, I wanted something a little out the way. Ended up converting the garage into an office.

Started like this

KBpVqG0.jpg

My brother helped, we created partition wall frame, and framed the walls, filled with insulation before plaster-boarding the lot.

My neighbour is a builder who kindly fitted the false floor, insulating it as well. Then plastered it and fitted skirting boards. Oh then added a nice big strip light and a lick of paint.

JnzKwUh.jpg

Carpet was off cuts off a friend who has recently re-carpeted his whole house, was a bit of a mix and match of the peeves he had, but looks OK.

There was a lot of echo, putting the carpet down helped, as did the odd bit of furniture, but it was still really noticeable on conference calls etc. So fitted some sound foam

FRYbA76.jpg.png

Cables need tidying up, and needs some more furniture and pics, but overall im really happy with it. All in I think it cost around £900 which is a bargin in my eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Over the last few days I've been stripping the vinyl off kitchen cupboards and drawer fronts and painting with cupboard paint to refresh the kitchen, 11 pieces done, 24 to go... Tis boring work but it's getting there.

Associate
Not today but over the last couple of weekends

Recently moved to a new house, and while it had a couple of spare rooms where I could put my office, I wanted something a little out the way. Ended up converting the garage into an office.
Cables need tidying up, and needs some more furniture and pics, but overall im really happy with it. All in I think it cost around £900 which is a bargin in my eyes.

Looks amazing, well done. If you're anything like me, those cables will never get tidied :p

Soldato
Finished cutting the hardboard in the other halfs craft room ready for me to lay the lino this weekend, last job on my list for that room, then its down to her to put all her junk and the rabbits back in.

Soldato
Had my dad round to visit who's an electrical engineer by trade and managed to fix the oven, extractor fan and most importantly the gas fire in the lounge :D

Can now have the lounge at a civilised temperature when I have guests until I get radiators fitted.

Soldato
Wife was just putting the iron away so asked if she had done a clean of the steam holes - All you do it hold it over the sink and press clean button - she hadn't so I did it - loads of steam another fill up and radio went off including extractor fan - looked round and microwave was off but cooker was still on - Grrrr - tripped mail trip that covers half of fuse board - switched iron off and went to garage and flicked switch on and alarm went off - DuH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Got to test iron again now it's cooled down - checked size of battery in alarm panel and ordered a new one - red and green lights on key pad were barely visible. - Last time I do her job for her.

Soldato
Wife was just putting the iron away so asked if she had done a clean of the steam holes - All you do it hold it over the sink and press clean button - she hadn't so I did it - loads of steam another fill up and radio went off including extractor fan - looked round and microwave was off but cooker was still on - Grrrr - tripped mail trip that covers half of fuse board - switched iron off and went to garage and flicked switch on and alarm went off - DuH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Got to test iron again now it's cooled down - checked size of battery in alarm panel and ordered a new one - red and green lights on key pad were barely visible. - Last time I do her job for her.

We just use ironing water...saves the hassle of cleaning!

Soldato
Next door neighbour had a new garage roller door fitted yesterday -- Why I never thought of having one I don't know - price wouldn't have been much more - It looks so neat - no gaps down sides -no drafts and even alarmed - if anyone put fingers under rubber strip along bottom it sets a alarm off - just as loud as my house alarm.

So been in garage and cleaned and greased mine - adjusted chain on opener as it was rattling - silicon greased all pivot points and it's almost silent. - shame about gap along bottom - need to cut out concrete and relay under the door.

Back
Top Bottom