What "man jobs" have you done today?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Over the last week or so I have - Torn up an old laminate floor, mortared holes in the concrete underneath, repaired walls, assembled and fitted an entire toilet, including drilling holes in porcelain tiles and down into concrete (that toilet is never, ever coming out), painted our utility room (two different wall colours and the ceiling), painted the kitchen ceiling, painted the entire downstairs loo room, designed and started building an acrylic liner for the space under the stairs (where the cats' litter tray goes) and a whole load of other satisfying man-job things. I was feeling quite proud of myself ... until I did this to a door!

4dv9lKg.jpg

Had to laugh, i am struggling to picture how you managed that :p New door time!

Soldato
Yup. Despite the guide rail and the laser sights and the line I drew in sharpie... the blade just wandered off and did its own thing. Lesson learned!

The blades bend from side to side as they cut. I did exactly the same the first time I trimmed a door, new for time :(

Circular saw or power plane, just be careful with the power plane, they're all noise and sawdust flying everywhere and before you know it the door's an inch shorter than it should be :D

Soldato
Yup. Despite the guide rail and the laser sights and the line I drew in sharpie... the blade just wandered off and did its own thing. Lesson learned!
I have found the blade wanders loads more when you use a straight edge/fence as a guide.

You can get a straight line with a jigsaw, but you need to use a brand new, sharp blade and follow the line freehand, with no guides. Still way better to use a circ saw though.

Soldato
That's not a drill ... this is a drill. :D

First time diamond core drilling, hence the smug smile, was good fun actually. Had to correct a complete bodge by the original kitchen fitters who thought duck taping a 4" pvc flex pipe which followed a right angle to a wrongly positioned hole outside would suffice. The 6" hole in place now should work a lot better with the extractor fan just got to put it back on the wall now. :)

Gbj8uLe.jpg.png

Soldato

First time diamond core drilling, hence the smug smile, was good fun actually. Had to correct a complete bodge by the original kitchen fitters who thought duck taping a 4" pvc flex pipe which followed a right angle to a wrongly positioned hole outside would suffice. The 6" hole in place now should work a lot better with the extractor fan just got to put it back on the wall now. :)

Gbj8uLe.jpg.png
Omg you showed your face. You have broken an unwritten rule in the laws of forum threads

Associate

That Kitchen layout looks just like ours... There's not a little serving hatch hidden out of sight next to the kitchen roll is there?

Soldato

Gbj8uLe.jpg.png
That's not so big, it's just perspective because of how you're holding it ;)

Soldato
That's not so big, it's just perspective because of how you're holding it ;)

Any bigger core drill and you're in to wet drilling territory apparently, I wanted a 162mm core bit to give a bit of allowance for the 150mm ducting which is actually 154mm outer diameter but couldn't for the life of me find one at a hire shop locally.

Associate

I need to do this, what was the dust like? Our wall is solid brick however so imagine the answer is lots!

Soldato
I need to do this, what was the dust like? Our wall is solid brick however so imagine the answer is lots!

Dust was less than I thought, but then it's a cavity wall so a lot probably disappeared down there. I made sure to move things out the way, or cover with sheets. Luckily my girlfriend was on hand to hold the hoover pole up against the wall just under the core bit which probably benefitted more than anything.

The most key thing when operating a core drill is to have a good strong footing so when it jams, which it will, you are holding it strong enough the safety clutch will engage instead of spinning wildly. Also take the pilot drill out of the core when the first few cm are cut. Take regular breaks too so your arms can rest and the core bit doesn't overheat.

I drilled from the inside out because the other way would have involved working at height, so I was worried about blowing the render off outside, but I eased right off the pressure when I thought it was close to breaking through and surprisingly it turned out to be a really clean cut.

Soldato
I drilled a hole for the boiler flue once - took just a few minutes to get in 3" and then it stopped cutting - took me about half an hour to realise the core drill was only 3" deep :confused: took brick plug out and away it went. :rolleyes:

Just use a vac with nozzel just under the hole.

Soldato
Amazing. Love the tile colour and texture and the feature plant shelf recess. Personally would have had the toilet roll holder a bit lower on the other wall adjacent the brush for easier and quicker paper grabbing, but aesthetically looks good where it is.

Soldato
I am doing my all time favourite job. Painting the hall wood work and 7 door frames - to be followed by painting the walls - followed by if I am sane and alive the bedroom doors.
v

v

v

v

v

v
I hate loath and detest painting but she who must be obeyed says do it.

Back
Top Bottom