1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "man jobs" have you done today?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by jaybee, 18 Aug 2012.

1. FlamBango

Hitman

Having watched the crumbly old felt roof on the shed take flight the other day in the winds I managed to re do the roof and got lucky with the weather! What was not so lucky was the previous owner building the shed 6 inches from the back fence and neighbours fence so the only way i got the back side felt on was astride the roof. If you're building a shed in the future, leave room around the edges for chunky chaps to fit!

2. Chockymonster

Gangster

Started putting up the Halloween/Christmas lights. Does that count?

3. Joeyuk

Hitman

Not really a man job but put up 2 tension rods to hang curtains in the living room and bedroom. Rented flat and the old blinds had fallen off, the landlord is dragging their feet on fixing them. Didn’t want anything permanent so they will do for now.

4. theone8181

Soldato

If you hadn't of said Halloween I'd have asked you to leave:p.

5. alexakasloth

Sgarrista

Spent a bit of time in the garden this afternoon, put two buddleias (dwarf magentas) into a couple of spare large pots, and topped up the flower bed with yellow crocuses.

6. {SAS}TB

Soldato

Planted most of the first 7kg bag of Daffodil bulbs in the small, side, front garden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remaining bag and a half to plant tomorrow ....

7. psd99

Soldato

nice, I got some tulips is is the right time to plant them now?

8. {SAS}TB

Soldato

Cheers - I think so, yes, should be fine before the frosts

9. psd99

Soldato

yep, do u think they will regrow or is it true they only grow once?

I had some success earlier this year but when trying to find them bulbs etc and the ones I did find
    they were really tiny
    not sure how they would regrow in the ground

10. {SAS}TB

Soldato

Oh, no idea mate, sorry. Thats Mrs TB's domain - I just do the tasks im given :D

11. BennyC

Capodecina

Tulips will reoccur year after year. I have some planted in 2012 which are still going strong.

12. Liquid_Entity

Soldato

Fitted new radiator to the hallway. It's been off the wall since May after having it all decorated. We've noticed last few days with the cold mornings how much it kicked out heat so will be nice to have tomorrow and through winter.

Also went round and checked all the other radiators and the boiler pressure (was way down) but no signs of any leaks anywhere. Will keep an eye on it over next few weeks.

[​IMG]

13. {SAS}TB

Soldato

Spent just over three hours and around 70 odd barrow loads of woodchip moved round to the back garden.

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The woodchip

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. theone8181

Soldato

Wouldn't it have been better to remove the weeds first:cry:. At least its not too bad weather, I need to mow the lawn but I just can't get motivated to do it, probably be the last cut of the year and I know the longer I leave it the else the weather will get but I still don't want to do it:p.

15. {SAS}TB

Soldato

We did remove most (well some) then put cardboard down rather that weed matting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should cut out enough light to kill off the weeds / grass then rot down to allow the bulbs to come up through unlike weed barrier matting

Not tried this method before, but thought we'd give it a try ! :D

16. Duke

Man of Honour

Yes now is the time to put them in and they should regrow for several years. Just make sure you put them in nice and deep (thats what she said). You can either dig a hole and put 4-5 in one group or use one of those tools the other guy posted which does a smaller hole, depends whether you like a row of them or small groups of them together :)

17. Chockymonster

Gangster

Got half of the Christmas lights up. Doing double duty for Halloween this year.
    [​IMG]

Need to finish a few odd jobs and this bit![​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dLockers

Sgarrista

Exploded a pack of coffee beans everywhere, FML.

(FYI here is what a half-mil kitchen looks like where I live :rolleyes:)

[​IMG]

19. LuckyBenski

Soldato

Arghhhh the bouncing pellets of doom!

There's always one underneath a plinth or something once you're done clearing up. Waiting for a foot to find it.

20. dLockers

Sgarrista

Also, painted the shed. The previous stuff seemed to have ... washed off... in certain odd places. I have some rot on the back as well which I need to replace a single length of wood (is that easy enough to buy?). Garish colour, definitely not what it said on the tin.

[​IMG]