1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "man jobs" have you done today?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by jaybee, 18 Aug 2012.

1. DXP55

Soldato

Have to stress you need a bit of ventilation - especially if your garage is reasonably air tight.

Years ago a lad at work killed himself by sleeping in his van on night's with propane gas stove going but it was a small van.

If I had some wall space spare I would just stack some bricks up to make a small chimney breast to put it in. Sort of a permanent spot instead of getting it out from under the bench each time.

2. theone8181

Soldato

Just touched up some paintwork. How do you guys blend filler in, I had my old thermostat removed and where I've filled seems very smooth compared to normal plasterboard.

3. dLockers

Sgarrista

Most of the texture is from the original paintwork roller so a couple of coats using a roller usually works for me (albeit a bit annoying to 'waste' a roller).

4. theone8181

Soldato

Might have to put a thicker coat on then, I brushed on some paint then rollered so I didn't have to wash up the tray:cry:.

5. explicit4u

Capodecina

If there's a trick to that I'd love to know, I think I gave up after the 4th coat of paint was still smooth :p

6. psd99

Soldato

Not quite a man job but since planting them bulbs of tulips and daffodils in pots, some rather pesky animal has decided to dig up the bulbs!
    what do you reckon it is? A Fox or a squirrel and whats the remedy to prevent the buggers from re-digging?

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

I use a cheapish 900watt electric fan heater I got off Amazon - it isn't perfect but it creates a nice comfortable warm spot where I am working without the potential risks of an open flame or carbon monoxide.

8. LuckyBenski

Soldato

Got badgers or moles where you live?

9. psd99

Soldato

south east england.

not sure I seen them, unless they come out at night
    didnt have this problem last year only difference... for decorative purposes I put some white stones on top of the soil in the pots.

10. samcat

Mobster

Made an oak hifi rack.

[​IMG]

11. NoobCannon

Soldato

that looks like 2 coffee tables you decided to screw together one day lol

12. 1pudding1

Wise Guy

Yeh, think its the black bottom on the legs of the top one. If you removed them then it would look more like one unit. But I guess you've put them there for vibration reasons? Looks good though.

13. theone8181

Soldato

Could rebate them to hide the black bit (or most of it). Looks good though. I've given the grass it's last cut of the year, hard work as it was about 6 inches long:p, I've topped up the inhibitor in the rads, fitted some extra shelves for shoes and done a bit of painting, and that's just this morning. Might treat myself to a nap later lol.

14. godinman

Sgarrista

Layed some self leveling concrete earlier, was a bit of a task mixing and pouring 20 X 20kg bags of concrete racing set times!

End result looks good now. Also fitted a new roof to said shed last weekend, and fitting stud work tomorrow, cinema shed project is a go!

15. dLockers

Sgarrista

What shoe shelves did you use? I've built cabinets with pull ours for all of ours yet the favourites still find themselves out on display :o

16. theone8181

Soldato

The thing we've got is a cupboard with some bars I'm it. I've added some curtain poles to make extra shelves. Had to do it as the kids shoes ate too small and fall through.

Looks like the one on this page. Sorry tried to embed the pic but it didn't work. https://www.gtresshopx1usa.com/p/?iid=92110831&pr=73.99

17. Mysterae_

Wise Guy

Leaves, leaves and more leaves. With the knowledge that I'll be doing it again soon as not all trees have shed yet.

18. NoobCannon

Soldato

feel your pain. Spent 2 hours at the weekend with the leaf vacuum and no sooner had i put it away a crap load more leaves were down.

cant let it build up tho as it turns the garden into a bog if they build up. Love the trees hate this time of year tho lol.

19. martin363

Hitman

Changed a washing Machine hose, wife was convinced we needed a new machine as there was water on the floor - and my fault apparently.

20. Syore

Gangster

Not sure if this is a mans job but changed a leaky kitchen mixer tap to a flexible one.