What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I never let mine get empty.

Wife said yesterday shall we get another load of logs -Me -Where will we put it?? -We have 5 log store's full.!

I am tempted though - could stack them up wall under computer room window - our eves overhang a lot and could sheet it up.

What with collecting logs and throwing odd £50 into our account at heating oil company you would think we are in for hard times.

Man job today was going up tip with loads of trugs full of waste garden material that wife has produced.

It never ends does it and to start the day I had a massive nose bleed -last one saw me in A&E for 4 hours. Lucky this one lasted 45 min.

Soldato
So started thinking I'd do a bit of stacking

I usually fill the bottom section of this store with one load (double rows) I started stacking treble rows and going for getting as much in rather than aesthetics

IMG-20220702-162854-01.jpg

Treble rowed the bottom, crammed it on literally every square inch in the top section which is surprising spacious ...

IMG-20220702-165341-01.jpg

Rammed

IMG-20220702-165335-01.jpg

Then also filled almost half the second store

IMG-20220702-164552-01.jpg

And have two sizeable baskets full of odd pieces and nice chunks / slices to make into hardwood kindling

IMG-20220702-164719-01.jpg

Soldato
Taping fillering and sanding an existing bedroom prior to painting.

There was a lot of hairline cracks but rather than skim the ceiling, this seemed pretty good.

Initially I was just going to do the ceiling but thought I'd do the bay too. Previously had no scrim tape in the joints thus the cracks.

eFHHb0E.jpeg

F1aid30.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/KghFiIB.mp4

Last edited:
Soldato
Cut the grass

IMG-20220703-171250.jpg

Weeded the middle patio / terrace area

IMG-20220703-171223.jpg

Then although not ours (it's local authority owned and maintained ....) The grass on the verge as you pull out of our drive onto the road was over head height and badly obscuring the view up the road (traffic coming down the hill). It's not a busy road, but needed sorting

Strimmed about 1/2 of the verge adjoining our house, which made a real difference. But then ended up scaping about 6 barrow loads of weeds and soil from the verge / road kerb line. Tough in this heat (and at the back end of a.week with COVID). The rest will have to wait for another day

IMG-20220703-170546.jpg

IMG-20220703-170555.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks and me too. Or having to argue with the bin men as the green bin is now a tad heavy ....

Our green bin was trashed during the pickup the last time it got too heavy (in the autumn last year, when the council suspended green bin collections due to driver shortages). They emptied it but the whole bin split in half when it was lifted into the lorry :eek:

Soldato
They have moved the normal bin and recycling to a fortnightly cycle (food waste weekly) but as of March this year moved the green bin / garden waste to a paid for service as well

Soldato
They have moved the normal bin and recycling to a fortnightly cycle (food waste weekly) but as of March this year moved the green bin / garden waste to a paid for service as well

yeah, my green bin has been an additional charge for nearly 10 years now. Cheeky council refused to replace the broken bin too despite they hadn't emptied it for 3 months.

Associate
Leaking toilet, no problem methinks, likely just a dirty seal or something.

After scratching my head wondering how to even get into the toilet (fully integrated cistern, fitted before we moved in) and finally finding a youtube video of the right one (turns out a suction cup and yanking it hard is the answer), turns out its a ripped diaphragm in the fill valve causing overflowing.

No worries, pop to toolstation/screwfix etc and grab a new one. Nope. Plumbing merchants, nope. Well bugger, lets just replace the valve then. Standard thread? Nope! 3/8 rather than 1/2 for whatever reason, and nowhere has stock of 3/8 fitting ones, except a generic fits all one at screwfix. It did not fit all :rolleyes:

Ordered a new Geberit valve for tomorrow, seems they are common standard fits in this toilet so should work

Soldato
Leaking toilet, no problem methinks, likely just a dirty seal or something.

After scratching my head wondering how to even get into the toilet (fully integrated cistern, fitted before we moved in) and finally finding a youtube video of the right one (turns out a suction cup and yanking it hard is the answer), turns out its a ripped diaphragm in the fill valve causing overflowing.

No worries, pop to toolstation/screwfix etc and grab a new one. Nope. Plumbing merchants, nope. Well bugger, lets just replace the valve then. Standard thread? Nope! 3/8 rather than 1/2 for whatever reason, and nowhere has stock of 3/8 fitting ones, except a generic fits all one at screwfix. It did not fit all :rolleyes:
I feel your pain, we had the cistern overflowing in our new house last month. We had been visiting for renovate for a few weeks, must have flushed it 50+ times. One day it didn't shut off and kept filling - the overflow runs into our porch! Literally just hangs a few inches out of the ceiling and pours out :eek:

I shut the supply valve off to the toilet and came back a week later to a puddle - turns out the service valve also didn't shut off entirely, so had to replace both the fill valve and service valve. Looking at it now I see it was a gas valve so no wonder it corroded and failed.

Soldato
Had an isolator installed today, so I can work on my electrics safely. Made a start - for now just have the new consumer unit mounted and whacked the existing circuits into that, so I can remove the old fuse box. Cue 2 weeks of diagrams and chasing walls and swearing :p

Caporegime
Removed the long aux cable from the car, as well as the Bluetooth connector and the dash cam.

Put the Bluetooth thing into the new vehicle until I change the radio.

Soldato
Our dogs love being outside when it's sunny, but from our front room my wife can't see them when working and it'd be easy for a delivery driver to open the front gate and they make an escape. As much as we think they love us, one of them can't wait to spot an opportunity to leg it!

9siIcdF.png

The front windows look back over the patio, so i put the gate in on the blue line so he's a bit more restricted. Not sure he's overly happy about it as he likes to patrol between the 2 gates!

zxTDoqN.png

Top Bottom