What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
vAMNeq9.jpg

I hope this works on mobile otherwise I will post from home later

edit:

4x4 posts, 6x2 lateral beams and corner supports, 4x2 roof timbers, all pine and treated. Roof to be added later. On wheels so i can push it about. The 4 spare bits of 4x2 are just put up there off the floor so they don't go bad.
Not a bad idea on wheels (until someone leans on ot:p). Will you attach it to anything to stop it getting blown around.

Associate
vAMNeq9.jpg

I hope this works on mobile otherwise I will post from home later

edit:

4x4 posts, 6x2 lateral beams and corner supports, 4x2 roof timbers, all pine and treated. Roof to be added later. On wheels so i can push it about. The 4 spare bits of 4x2 are just put up there off the floor so they don't go bad.

Nice work, how tall is it? Might be just me but it looks about 5ft tall to the bottom of the cross beam :p

Thought it might be large plant pots and pavers making it look smaller, then I saw it was higher than the fence but even that looks quite low compared to the daffodils.

Associate
Nice work, how tall is it? Might be just me but it looks about 5ft tall to the bottom of the cross beam :p

Thought it might be large plant pots and pavers making it look smaller, then I saw it was higher than the fence but even that looks quite low compared to the daffodils.
1850mm (6 1 ish) on the bottom of the cross beam. Just tall enough for me to walk under (although I still duck). 2.5m to the top of the ridge. Casters do lock, hoping the weight will keep it in place. Roof to go on later should add another 40 kg or so to the weight.
Sleepers behind are 200mm high so daffs are about 500mm ish up

Soldato
Looks very over engineered (which I am a fan of :)). Maybe some nice chocks that attached to the legs when it is being moved will allay any movement in high winds or whatever.

Ducking to get under sounds snug. Will it need a closable chimney if you BBQ beneath it?

Associate
I was thinking of sleeving the choks on a cam over the outside of the posts if the wheels don’t stop it blowing away, I would say all of the timber is a size bigger than it needs to be. I’m not sure about the chimney as I m making some side panels to fit around the sides for poor weather (surely not needed in the uk).

Soldato
Not today but over the weekend painted the loft conversion in Dulux Easycare White. Painting over already fairly clean white and it was almost impossible to tell where I'd been and not been.

Anyway, it's a 5 year olds bedroom but it's very plain bar the bed linen and few things. Anyone got any good ideas on how to make the place more fun. Given the angled ceilings and no lamp shade as spotlights installed I'm kind of stuck for ideas on creativity.

Soldato
Not today but over the weekend painted the loft conversion in Dulux Easycare White. Painting over already fairly clean white and it was almost impossible to tell where I'd been and not been.

Anyway, it's a 5 year olds bedroom but it's very plain bar the bed linen and few things. Anyone got any good ideas on how to make the place more fun. Given the angled ceilings and no lamp shade as spotlights installed I'm kind of stuck for ideas on creativity.
Transfers? Some really good ones that could bring the walls to life. Some are attached by electrostatic so no residue or regret work involved. Also, obligatory 'city scape rug' from the local market :p

Associate
I've been searching this a lot lately as I have a large area to do, with moss and mushrooms growing everywhere, like a spongy carpet in some places. I don't think it's ever been scarified and what grass there is is being suffocated or crowded out.

To decide if you need to or will benefit from scarification check to see if you have a lot of thatch built up. Then understand that after scarifying you'll have to seed and add some top soil and fertilizer to help your lawn recover. It's not a quick job as DXP55 will testament to!
I bought one last year, as was tired of borrowing one from work each year.
They do work, the lawn looks terrible afterwards but soon comes back in great condition.
I usuall yaerate the lawn as well, as it can get quite boggy down one side.

Associate

Can't stand painting but great when it's done. Looks great!

Soldato
Can't stand painting but great when it's done. Looks great!
Haha you can't see the woodwork though. I gave up when I realised how much work is needed to do a good job. So am waiting for my decorator guy to come and quote for this as extra on top the entrance hall, stairwells and hallways he's already doing.

Sand, prime, sand, paint is just way too much effort and time for me.

Soldato
Hi guys, if I wanted to make a very basic bench from a railway sleeper supported by a sleeper each side as posts, is there anything I should do with the ground? Do I sink the posts in a bit or just sit on a slab or something?

Associate
Hi guys, if I wanted to make a very basic bench from a railway sleeper supported by a sleeper each side as posts, is there anything I should do with the ground? Do I sink the posts in a bit or just sit on a slab or something?

Couple of slabs are always good. I usually build sheds and Wendy houses on a few slabs

Soldato

Sit it on slabs is fine but it'll move. Sinking it into the ground say 250mm using postcrete will be permanent.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom