What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Brilliant, glad you got it sorted and it's gone back together again all ok! Had you done it before?

Cheers. No first time doing a PS4 but after the several repairs on my daughter's laptop over the past couple of years I figured it couldn't be as bad.

The only thing I wished I would have checked more carefully before hand would have been a chassis specific tear down guide. It would have made life easier as the guide I used didn't match in several areas and it slowed me down making notes rather than having a cheat sheet. My table isn't somewhere that makes quickly checking a screen easy and I find it hard to keep changing focus to my phone (need to get some varifocals).

Associate
Cheers. No first time doing a PS4 but after the several repairs on my daughter's laptop over the past couple of years I figured it couldn't be as bad.

The only thing I wished I would have checked more carefully before hand would have been a chassis specific tear down guide. It would have made life easier as the guide I used didn't match in several areas and it slowed me down making notes rather than having a cheat sheet. My table isn't somewhere that makes quickly checking a screen easy and I find it hard to keep changing focus to my phone (need to get some varifocals).

Ah yeah, I absolutely hate cracking open laptops - it seems a gamble every time whether the resistance it's giving you is because you need to pull harder, or because something's about to break. Hate opening them.

That's a good tip, thank you. I've skimmed through a YouTube video and glanced over the ifixit guide, so hopefully they're good enough. There are so many models though that I guess they could be a different one

Associate
There's not obvious man hole cover, there's one down hill from it that's a good 3inch thick concrete, but it's also a good 20-30m away. And any smaller access points nearby look more like rain water covers. Although I imagine the age of the property it's mixed.
You can buy some coloured dye to put in the toilet water, flush it and see which manhole it goes to?

Associate
@doug_1986 I started using the the iFixit thermal paste guide but that appears to be for launch era models. Mine is a CUH-1264 (or something like that). Turns out they had a teardown guide for the the 1200 chassis series that was very helpful for identifying the loose bit that fell out. The model number is on the info strip with the serial number on the underside of the unit, helpfully printed in small dark text on black on mine :p.

Soldato
So posted on an other forum too.

They're convinced it's not a siphonic toilet (I posted pictures).
I am now convinced it's an outside drain issue.
The drain access I would have considered was down from the toilet is bone dry and feels filled with stones, when using drainage roads.
There's a circular access drain outside the sink area, this is almost to the brim and the sink openly drains into it and the downpipe flows into it. When using drainage rods I can hear water sloshing around in the down pipe around waste height. Other drain points I can see the water, or polystyrene balls (insulation?) and one is blocked with soil and a tree root

Sorry then I can't help - best thing is to get drain people in - They know what they are doing - got the kit and will soon clear it. :(

Associate
@doug_1986 I started using the the iFixit thermal paste guide but that appears to be for launch era models. Mine is a CUH-1264 (or something like that). Turns out they had a teardown guide for the the 1200 chassis series that was very helpful for identifying the loose bit that fell out. The model number is on the info strip with the serial number on the underside of the unit, helpfully printed in small dark text on black on mine :p.

I should be in luck then as I'm sure mine's a launch era model - I think I got it Christmas after launch, so it should be fairly old now. Well over due a clean!!

Was thinking of doing it tonight, bit with the kids finally in bed I think I just need a sit down!

Associate
vAMNeq9.jpg

I hope this works on mobile otherwise I will post from home later

edit:

4x4 posts, 6x2 lateral beams and corner supports, 4x2 roof timbers, all pine and treated. Roof to be added later. On wheels so i can push it about. The 4 spare bits of 4x2 are just put up there off the floor so they don't go bad.
mRe9aAt.jpeg
Put the roof on, and lighting etc into the gazebo

Associate
@fish Looking good, i like the idea of castors. Works to keep the legs from any pooled water too. I'm meant to be doing similar at some point once i get the other jobs out the way. Have you got a rough cost estimate in total?

Also @fobose i do like how so many garden shots on here now are via CCTV :D

Frame was 180. roof was 62 in wood plus 12 for the flashing on the ridges and roughly 20 for the castors, screws and bolts about 15. So a little less than 300 all in

edit: as above the frame could have been 1 size down for each bit and saved about 40

Soldato
A hollow tine aerator arrived this morning, I bought one of the manual stamp down types as I have a small lawn (3x7m) and just wanted to try it out. It worked a treat and was easy to use. Raked, topsoiled and overseeded now.

I used a 0.5kg box of verve universal lawn seed, from my memory last year it grows quite quickly so I should have a healthy looking lawn at the end of the month.

Soldato
Built two cold frames from Aldi

IMG-20210402-135104.jpg

Then cleared all the crap from behind / under the old shed we have just had removed

IMG-20210402-151832.jpg

IMG-20210402-155451.jpg

IMG-20210402-163305.jpg

Kept a load of the old bricks as fill for the new / extended base / patio

IMG-20210402-164411.jpg

I suspect several trips to the tip tomorrow ....

Back
Top Bottom