What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
BgeEYcz.jpg

I added some curtains to the gazebo, easier than the solid panels for the sides to open and close. (solid panels are at the back)

And the wheels are still holding up fine :)

Caporegime
Loft started to smell a bit damp and yesterday went up there to find the lining was dripping with condensation so installed some felt lap vents to see if that gets enough fresh air in the loft.

pmfYpSy.png

Last owners just put loads of damp traps around which do nothing to solve the actual problem.

Soldato
@Janesy B although the vents will help greatly, I'd look for where the moisture from the warm air is getting in and why it's not getting out normally (solved a bit by the vents you fitted).

When I had condensation in the roof of our previous house it was a combination of too much crap stored in the loft preventing airflow across the loft from the eaves. The eave vents where a bit blocked by too much insulation, the seal of the loft hatch was terrible and the area around the bathroom vent below wasn't ideal. Fixed all those issues and never had condensation in the loft again.

Caporegime
Cant you knock some bricks out and put some brick vents in?

The neighbor might have someing to say about that, I'm mid terrace :D

@Janesy B although the vents will help greatly, I'd look for where the moisture from the warm air is getting in and why it's not getting out normally (solved a bit by the vents you fitted).

When I had condensation in the roof of our previous house it was a combination of too much crap stored in the loft preventing airflow across the loft from the eaves. The eave vents where a bit blocked by too much insulation, the seal of the loft hatch was terrible and the area around the bathroom vent below wasn't ideal. Fixed all those issues and never had condensation in the loft again.

The loft hatch is by the bathroom door and very poorly sealed so I'm going to get a roll of draught excluder and see if there's anything I can insulate the hatch with too.

Loft is fairly empty, but it was absolutely stacked to the rafters by the last owners for god knows now long.

Soldato
Loft started to smell a bit damp and yesterday went up there to find the lining was dripping with condensation so installed some felt lap vents to see if that gets enough fresh air in the loft.

pmfYpSy.png

Last owners just put loads of damp traps around which do nothing to solve the actual problem.

I had this and it was due to the cover of the storage tank having popped off.

Associate
I bought some shelving for the garage to get stuff off the floor, also gave it a good sweep. I was going to build some shelving out of stud work and plywood but with the cost of wood at the moment, it would have been twice the price of these racks. These will work fine for now.

Due to them being the perfect size to just fit where they are, the uprights are directly in line with a gap between the concrete slabs, so nothing to screw into. Luckily I had some spare re-usable zip ties lying around, which I wrapped around the steel support plates of the wall and round each hind leg of the racks, they are solid!

I feel like a garage with boxes, tools and bikes will always look a little messy but I am happy with the result, even though it still looks a bit untidy. A few things to go to the tip tomorrow like the table and there's still a shelf to install when we get our camping gear from parents garage. Probably should get a smaller TV for the Zwift set up, free up some shelf space and can move the one above down a bit.

Also going to install a shelf above the bikes for helmets, shoes, tools, etc. When the table is gone I'll move the other rack across and have two stacks of bikes so they don't stick out as much, seeing as we have three more bikes between us that aren't pictured to store too.

We hate this garage, it's just a little too small so plan is to knock it down and build a slightly bigger one at some point, asbestos in the roof that needs taking care of at that point too.

Before:

51820115583_bd64b946e9_b.jpg

After:

51819054212_3352f5ff83_b.jpg

51820343599_28c0bb28f5_b.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Looks good. Where did you get the garage shelf units from? Need to get some of these. My garage is a tip, needs sorting :p

They're from B&Q, down from £60 to £40 each when I was in there the other day. Didn't plan to buy some but thought I might as well at that price.

I will say they aren't the best quality really, they are fine once together with some weight on them but the shelf rails don't stay connected very well and the connector for the bottom and top part of each leg isn't the best either. The metal will twist and bend when not put together so if you want something to last a long time I'd shop around for something a little beefier.

These say each shelf will hold 200kg each and as said once some weight is on them they're not moving anywhere, but I'm sure you can get some sturdier ones for a little bit extra money.

Soldato
They're from B&Q, down from £60 to £40 each when I was in there the other day. Didn't plan to buy some but thought I might as well at that price.

I will say they aren't the best quality really, they are fine once together with some weight on them but the shelf rails don't stay connected very well and the connector for the bottom and top part of each leg isn't the best either. The metal will twist and bend when not put together so if you want something to last a long time I'd shop around for something a little beefier.

Ah, they have something very similar at Screwfix for £40 each but they look a bit flimsy. Wondering what to get. Yours look decent from the pics. I guess can always screw them to the walls.

Associate
Ah, they have something very similar at Screwfix for £40 each but they look a bit flimsy. Wondering what to get. Yours look decent from the pics. I guess can always screw them to the walls.

Yea as said even just with the zip ties (they are very strong zip ties) it wasn't moving anywhere even when I put most of my body weight into pulling it away from the wall, but free standing it would definitely sway and probably fall over with a lot of weight on it.

Some shelves kept popping up off the pegs and not sitting right, but again once a box or two was on them they're fine.

They'll work and they were fairly cheap so I can live with them.

Soldato
Is there a rule of thumb about which walls are supporting walls, chaps?

I'm considering a 3 story town house that has had the garage "knocked through" - but actually all they've done is filled the front in and kept the previous doorway.

There is a W/C with downstairs shower unit, too -

All of the walls feel "solid" but it would have been converted a long time ago when block-work was used to partition rooms.

There are no walls above it and the span is only 4.3m.

Edit:

hRAlyNv.png

The plan would be to open the dining room up, brick a wall from the stairs (to meet building regs on closing the kitchen off) and remove the shower. That'd then be the kitchen; and the current kitchen would be a living room, allowing me to make the upstairs living room a bedroom (in due course).

Soldato
The internal walls on the ground floor are likely to be block and potentially load bearing, I’d probably even put money on the ex garage/dining room wall being block.

I don’t think you’ll be able to get rid of the down stairs toilet and continue it to meet building regs either. Fairly sure it’s a requirement for disability access. Do you just mean to get rid of the shower while keeping the toilet and making the room a bit smaller?

Your front door would also go directly into the kitchen? That might be a bit odd. You’ll also need to think about services like gas, water and drainage and getting that to the new kitchen location. Where is the boiler?

Wouldn’t the lounge also be a bit small?

Personally, I’d look at something else that better meets your needs rather than spending loads knocking about this property.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom