What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Not today but yesterday - changed the fluorescent garage baton for a far more effective 6ft LED button with dual strips and a diffuser.

Pishing down today so I'll get some pond treatment and do some audio stuff in the newly lit garage :D

Soldato
My job for the day was topping insulation up. Had 4 rolls of 200mm delivered at 5.5 sq m each. Need to return 2 of them as I overestimated a bit:p. It's hard work maneuvering on your knees. Glad I did it on a cool day too, summer in a loft it no fun:cry:.

Soldato
Carried on with my garage conversion

8 spotlights fitted which took WAY longer than it should after my ceiling joists fell conveniently wherever I wanted to put them :o

Cleared out the loft to make way for rockwool

Hung an electric radiator ready for the sparky to wire up

Getting there

Soldato
I've been in the loft almost the entire weekend but I've nearly finished installing the new insulation with raised boards on top.

tWPuXw3.jpg

I just have to do the last bit under the boiler (required under regs). I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it yet but that's a problem for another day. I also need to sort out the insulation at the sides.

It's just a shame I didn't do this before winter...

Soldato
I've been in the loft almost the entire weekend but I've nearly finished installing the new insulation with raised boards on top.

tWPuXw3.jpg

I just have to do the last bit under the boiler (required under regs). I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it yet but that's a problem for another day. I also need to sort out the insulation at the sides.

It's just a shame I didn't do this before winter...
Trust me you do not want to be doing any jobs in the loft in summer. It's like trying to do a work out on a beach in spain:D. I know its too late now, but why not start under the boiler?

Soldato
Trust me you do not want to be doing any jobs in the loft in summer. It's like trying to do a work out on a beach in spain:D. I know its too late now, but why not start under the boiler?

Oh yeah totally, it was a nice working temperature actually, more like Cornwall in spring :D

I started at the other end some time ago as there was nothing in the way. The section in shot had old floor boards for a tank and pipes that had to be rerouted.

As it turns out the plumber asked if I could make the section under the boiler lower to make accessing the boiler easier, so I will probably use some of the original floor boards

Soldato
Not a very good couple of days'
Could smell diesel in garage so was going to get under and in the car checking it out.
It isn't the car but the oil boiler and heating engineer is on holiday till Monday and will be here Tuesday morning.
Found a very nice small tin to put under leak and going to empty it morning and night - There was only about a tea spoon full in there this morning so should last.
It looks like it's been leaking a while as the leaked oil is now looking like yellow fudge on a drip tray plate under pump.(if it is the pump)
This house has been nothing but a poo hole since we bought it.

Soldato
Fixed a wobbly fence post, I had to chain it up in the storms so thought it was time to sort it.

I did one last weekend, the Ferrex SDS drill I got from ALDI for the grand sum of £40 chiseled through the concrete base of the post in next to no time. The quality of the drill it should have been priced at double what I paid easily.

I ended up spending in excess of £50 to replace one post though. All from Wickes:

2.7m 100mmx100mm post £24.50
2x Postcrete £11.80
6x galvanized right angle brackets £9 (didn't have access to other side of fence to screw the rails through to the post)
2x outdoor screws £5

Total £50.30

Easy to see how the costs for fencing rack up quickly, and that's without labour charges.

Soldato
Spectacular fail on some cheap rattan furniture. The old saying of buy cheap buy twice is definitely correct here.

Spent 2hrs battling the 2 chairs to fit as the screws just wouldnt all match up together. Managed to fudge it so they didn't look bad at all but underneath the screws were not 100% screwed in..... Then found out there was no point as the double seat has a proper kink in the metal so no matter what I do with this one the screw holes won't match nor will the gram look straight.

Worst thing is I nought it over a month ago and it's been left waiting for a time to build it. I hope they will refund me as I don't want a replacement. Not going through that again.

Is there anywhere that does pre built furniture that doesn't cost over a grand.

Soldato
2 old scaffold boards, £6 each. Brackets were £20. Sanded down, two coats of varnish and hung on the wall. Job jobbed.

D27565-D5-3-F00-4570-8-A5-E-7-EB8-EAA72627.jpg

Soldato
Few bits this weekend

The chicken run "fence" (lightweight mesh and plastic poles) was always a temporary fix. It's been there over 12 months now so decided it was time to replace it something a bit more permanent

Before

IMG-20220319-083707.jpg

I knocked up a gate from some timber and fencing mesh in the garage

IMG-20220319-081644.jpg

Sunk two decent size posts into the ground and held them in place before backfilling with postcrete

IMG-20220319-112917.jpg

Gate in and hardware installed onto the gate

IMG-20220319-141224.jpg

IMG-20220319-091002.jpg

I dug a channel round and sat the new heavier duty mesh into the ground about 100-150mm for both keeping predators out and the chickens in
IMG-20220319-160008.jpg

I then put some smaller guage mesh over the top

Today I dug out a flat / level section between the new gate and the coop. Dropped in some bricks as a foundation then out some plastic tiles in to form a.walkway.

IMG-20220320-121828.jpg

Back filled with soil and once it's settled I'll top off with gravel for a decent path in the bad weather

IMG-20220320-122832.jpg

Then chopped a few logs and kindling as still haven't quite finished with the log burner for the season just yet

IMG-20220320-093021.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I tidied up the garden today, we had about 6 month's worth of garden waste just in a pile because the council suspended garden waste collections last year so I cut all that down and managed to get it to fit in the bin ready for Wednesday. I also cut the grass front and back

Back
Top Bottom