What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
It's coming up to spray the roof tiles time- to kill the moss -Didn't do it last year.

I use a Hozelock 5ltr sprayer but main problem now is I am to old to walk the ridge tiles so it's done from a pair of steps (Bungalow) and only trouble is it won't reach last three foot to ridge so bought a extending lance - My sprayer is so old the threads don't match.
As luck would have it Toolstation are selling a 5lt Fence panel sprayer for £19 and new lance will fit that so got one - only problem here is it won't seal so a few twists of PTFE tape and I am ready to go.
Doing this over the years has kept the concrete tiles clear of moss.

LB
Looking at your Flat it reminds me of my first job after leaving school which was electricians mate.
We had to put conduit up walls to each floor and when we were there it was just concrete pillars with concrete floor on each level - is yours built the same because nothing on each floor was load bearing.

Soldato
LB
Looking at your Flat it reminds me of my first job after leaving school which was electricians mate.
We had to put conduit up walls to each floor and when we were there it was just concrete pillars with concrete floor on each level - is yours built the same because nothing on each floor was load bearing.
This is 1960s cross wall construction. The spine walls between houses are brick, then the facing walls are timber cross beams. Although in my case it seems there's not a lot of timber in it!

Soldato
these were 1960 flats and I only saw the flats in the concrete state so wasn't sure how it was divided inside but brick walls was obvious.
The flats you are in could have been built totally different.

Best of luck with your project.

Caporegime
Finished up the garden for the most part.

Shoveled the plum slate around the raised beds. Emptied and moved the shed to get behind it to paint the back that was missed a month ago and put some slate down the sides around the edge of the patio, put the shed back and filled it back in and cleared some clutter.

Helped the wife dog a hole for a plant as where it was going is where the 'previous' shed base was prior to us buying the new build house where they moved the shed back and just left all the compacted sand and hardcore there....joy.

Getting there now, need some compost stuff for the raised beds and we need to plant some more things down the other side of the garden, starting to look half decent now and it's taken forever

Soldato
Got to put in abouce 500 quid of loft boards and insulation (went for OSB as it was only slightly more than chipboard). 20 degrees so not a great time to start!
mFejrjW.jpeg

Loftzone system being put in plus im fitting some timbers as a handrail around the hatch

Any ideas for cleaning up the gap between the hatch and the loft insulation im all ears.??

aMsI7el.jpeg

Also for all interested, I bought a Dewalt tstak offer from screwfix, 20 quid a box... Possibly a bit OTT for DIY but I don't have a garage so trying to work out how to store all my tools neatly..

6bwmScY.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
Today I started the project of converting our 2 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom. Today task was taking down a stud wall. Great fun, shame I had to clear up the mess afterwards.

Associate
Got to put in abouce 500 quid of loft boards and insulation (went for OSB as it was only slightly more than chipboard). 20 degrees so not a great time to start!
mFejrjW.jpeg

Loftzone system being put in plus im fitting some timbers as a handrail around the hatch

Any ideas for cleaning up the gap between the hatch and the loft insulation im all ears.??

aMsI7el.jpeg

Also for all interested, I bought a Dewalt tstak offer from screwfix, 20 quid a box... Possibly a bit OTT for DIY but I don't have a garage so trying to work out how to store all my tools neatly..

6bwmScY.jpeg
guarantee after about a month you will get fed up of the tool you always want being in the bottom box and having to unstack them all to get it:) know the feeling got the same and even though i have a garage they live in the corner of the dining room :)

Soldato
It's coming up to spray the roof tiles time- to kill the moss -Didn't do it last year.

I use a Hozelock 5ltr sprayer but main problem now is I am to old to walk the ridge tiles so it's done from a pair of steps (Bungalow) and only trouble is it won't reach last three foot to ridge so bought a extending lance - My sprayer is so old the threads don't match.
As luck would have it Toolstation are selling a 5lt Fence panel sprayer for £19 and new lance will fit that so got one - only problem here is it won't seal so a few twists of PTFE tape and I am ready to go.
Doing this over the years has kept the concrete tiles clear of moss.

LB
Interesting, this is a job I need to do this year (also a bungalow) what now killer do you use?

Soldato
Interesting, this is a job I need to do this year (also a bungalow) what now killer do you use?
I use roof moss killer -I think it is better than stuff you put on slabs -I had 5ltrs for about £40 - Got half left after a good few years.
I also sprayed again in autumn but half mix (google roof moss killer) It comes concentrated and I used 10-1 -- half litre in 5ltr spray bottle and in autumn 20-1 - It really does work and my roof is just as good and better that neighbours who have had roof pressure washed and painted.

When I did it the first time I was a fit 69 yr old and I spent a month or so on roof with a paint scraper first but you will find when it rain's the path's are covered in moss balls.

One other point is it's a PITA job so don't scrimp on the quality of Moss killer.

Soldato
@LuckyBenski that house looks like a nightmare.

Have I missed something? Was it a cash purchase? That’s seriously something that so fundamental. Was there a survey?
We appointed a Level 3 RICS survey ourselves from a pretty large firm! Which was obviously full of "We suspect but can't be sure, best get further investigation done" arse covering boiler plate. Nothing came across as a red flag to me i.e. they didn't say "This is concerning, don't buy it". Just "This could mean an issue, we can't say it's not, so get someone to look at it".

Maybe we misinterpreted the tone of the survey then, and our solicitors almost certainly didn't read the thing to feed back.

Not a cash purchase, first time buy (chunky deposit though, about 40%). Mortgaged with a high street bank, pretty normal setup. Good thing I'm a cheapskate frugal person and will be able to budget for any work needed. Aside from this issue, the house is in surprisingly good nick - decorated well enough to live in til we change it, new (flat) roof in 2020, paperwork for boiler and radiators replaced <10 years ago.

Associate
Bathroom and toilet ceilings ripped down (used to be 2 separate rooms) and luckily the top plasterboard layer is ok and won’t need replacing! Also fitted the window board and moved the light fitting to the centre of the room… now just the tidying up to do

Tea Drinker
Don
We appointed a Level 3 RICS survey ourselves from a pretty large firm! Which was obviously full of "We suspect but can't be sure, best get further investigation done" arse covering boiler plate. Nothing came across as a red flag to me i.e. they didn't say "This is concerning, don't buy it". Just "This could mean an issue, we can't say it's not, so get someone to look at it".

Maybe we misinterpreted the tone of the survey then, and our solicitors almost certainly didn't read the thing to feed back.

Not a cash purchase, first time buy (chunky deposit though, about 40%). Mortgaged with a high street bank, pretty normal setup. Good thing I'm a cheapskate frugal person and will be able to budget for any work needed. Aside from this issue, the house is in surprisingly good nick - decorated well enough to live in til we change it, new (flat) roof in 2020, paperwork for boiler and radiators replaced <10 years ago.

I’d submit a complaint that’s not right. If anything they may pay for repairs. A level 3 is meant to be detailed and suggest causes, remedies and costs not just it’s a bit dodgy. Did you get that ?

Soldato
Textured ceilings are a pain when it comes to repairs. Our previous owners did some small repairs in the office and did a crap job blending the texture in. Luckily not really a problem in a garage!

Soldato
Textured ceilings are a pain when it comes to repairs. Our previous owners did some small repairs in the office and did a crap job blending the texture in. Luckily not really a problem in a garage!
Yeh, the textured effect is a pain, can't really be bothered to mess around matching that. Not in a garage anyway :) It looks 100% better than the gaping hole though.

Back
Top Bottom