What NAS for starting YouTube channel

Associate
Have 13TB of videos I have filmed over many years for YouTube. Have yet to start my channel.

Likely getting a Synology NAS.

Probably going with 4x 10TB WD RED NAS in Raid 5, so 30TB or 27 ACTUAL TB of space.

I get 25% off WD products.

Should I get the WD PR4100 or the model below it, or should I get a Synology?

If Synology, will the 418 suffice? Or do I need the 418play or the 918+?

I will be the only user and will only be transferring files to and from the unit.
Mostly large video files but I do have a few tens of thousands of images too.

Not sure if it's feasible to edit straight from the drive?

Does a NAS work with any OS? Or do the hard drives have to be formatted for a specific OS?

Thanks

Don
A few points picked out from your original post:

If you are the only user, why do you need a NAS? It would be cheaper to just add drives to your PC if your case allows.

RAID5 - probably a bad idea. RAID6 or RAID10 offer better data security, but with 4 drives aren't going to be space efficient. Unraid or similar options are a better solution, maintaining a dedicated parity drive (Rather than distributed parity), meaning it is more space efficient, and puts less data at risk during a rebuild.

Editing Videos direct from a NAS is a bad idea - better to have local copies on SSDs to do any actual editing and then use the NAS as storage for finished videos.

Also worth noting that neither RAID or a NAS is actually a backup in itself. Always ensure you have copies in at least 2 different places (maybe even 3).

Associate
OP
A few points picked out from your original post:

If you are the only user, why do you need a NAS? It would be cheaper to just add drives to your PC if your case allows.

If anything happens to the PC I can wipe it clean without concern about accidentally wiping a drive. A NAS would have it's own separate PSU so should anything happen to the PC's PSU the NAS is safe.

My PC's case a Coolermaster Stormtrooper probably has enough drive bays. However it has a vibration sound issue that I have been unable to pinpoint over many years. Turn a drive on and it makes a buzzing sound as the case resonates. Everything is fitted correctly.
I use a lian li powerswitch to power on and off drives. It is a 5.25 power switch with individual drive control.

If I get a new case the case will not have space for the drives. However as of yet I haven't decided what I will do with the PC. I might go Macbook route. Not sure yet.

NAS drives are meant to be left on 24/7 right? Putting them in a desktop on/off = premature death?

IF I decide to get a NAS because let's say I switch to a Macbook Pro, and have already bought the WD RED's for use in my desktop as you have advised (you said cheaper to put drives in PC), then can I just plug in the data filled drives into a NAS and it does it's thing? Or would I lose all the data that way? What do I need to do in that case?

RAID5 - probably a bad idea. RAID6 or RAID10 offer better data security, but with 4 drives aren't going to be space efficient. Unraid or similar options are a better solution, maintaining a dedicated parity drive (Rather than distributed parity), meaning it is more space efficient, and puts less data at risk during a rebuild.

Why is raid 5 bad? How do I get unraid?

Editing Videos direct from a NAS is a bad idea - better to have local copies on SSDs to do any actual editing and then use the NAS as storage for finished videos.

Could I just move the videos I want from the NAS to the SSD, edit, then transfer the lot to the NAS?

Also worth noting that neither RAID or a NAS is actually a backup in itself. Always ensure you have copies in at least 2 different places (maybe even 3).

I cannot backup to another location. Can't afford TB's of online backup cloud, don't have another location to store backup drives too, so will have to buy backup drives and keep them in my bedroom in the cupboard and the NAS next to my PC connected via a LAN directly to the PC to keep it safe from hackers.

The 25% off WD products are two vouchers (each 25% off max purchase of £1600 per voucher) with an expiry of 90 days. After the vouchers are over, no more 25% off. Hence it might make more sense to plan ahead to save money by buying what I might need now? IDK

Last edited:
Soldato
Don
If anything happens to the PC I can wipe it clean without concern about accidentally wiping a drive. A NAS would have it's own separate PSU so should anything happen to the PC's PSU the NAS is safe.
If you needed to wipe your PC, you could just unplug the data drives first (it's generally best practice to just have your boot drive connected when installing Windows anyway). NAS power supplies are often cheap nasty wall plugs on the lower end models, so if it fails you might be waiting whilst you source a replacement.

My PC's case a Coolermaster Stormtrooper probably has enough drive bays. However it has a vibration sound issue that I have been unable to pinpoint over many years. Turn a drive on and it makes a buzzing sound as the case resonates. Everything is fitted correctly.
Buy a better case

I use a lian li powerswitch to power on and off drives. It is a 5.25 power switch with individual drive control.
I didn't even realise these things existed - but turning drives on and off unnecessarily can't be good for their lifespan.

NAS drives are meant to be left on 24/7 right? Putting them in a desktop on/off = premature death?
No more of a premature death than any other type of hard drive

IF I decide to get a NAS because let's say I switch to a Macbook Pro, and have already bought the WD RED's for use in my desktop as you have advised (you said cheaper to put drives in PC), then can I just plug in the data filled drives into a NAS and it does it's thing? Or would I lose all the data that way? What do I need to do in that case?
No generally you wouldn't be able to move drives with data to/from a NAS without data loss. Now that you've said you are looking at a Macbook then yes a NAS probably makes more sense.

Why is raid 5 bad?
Because with large hard drives there is a significant chance that a second drive will fail whilst a first failed drive is rebuilding, losing all of your data.

How do I get unraid?
https://unraid.net/

Could I just move the videos I want from the NAS to the SSD, edit, then transfer the lot to the NAS?
Yes

I cannot backup to another location. Can't afford TB's of online backup cloud, don't have another location to store backup drives too, so will have to buy backup drives and keep them in my bedroom in the cupboard and the NAS next to my PC connected via a LAN directly to the PC to keep it safe from hackers.
Why can't you? A second backup could just be a USB Hard drive that you manually back up to once a week (if you can then take it offsite, or even leave it in your car etc, then you are protecting against fire/flood/etc destroying your house and losing your data)

Having a NAS on your lan won't keep your data safe from hackers - all it takes is for your PC to be infected with something, and the data on your NAS could also be worthless.

A NAS also won't let you restore accidentally deleted files, corrupt files or anything else - by itself it isn't a backup

Associate
OP
If you needed to wipe your PC, you could just unplug the data drives first (it's generally best practice to just have your boot drive connected when installing Windows anyway). NAS power supplies are often cheap nasty wall plugs on the lower end models, so if it fails you might be waiting whilst you source a replacement.

What about on for example the Synology DS418? How is the PSU on that?

Buy a better case

Most cases nowadays do not have many drive bays at all. 2 at most. Especially to get one that looks how you want it to and be a good all round case based on reviews on professional review sites and have all the functions someone wants etc.

I didn't even realise these things existed - but turning drives on and off unnecessarily can't be good for their lifespan.

That's what happens with a PC.... It is turned on and off a few times throughout a day. Going down to make lunch etc.

No more of a premature death than any other type of hard drive

I have been told NAS drives will fail much faster than a desktop drive would if you use it in a desktop, due to on/off's.

No generally you wouldn't be able to move drives with data to/from a NAS without data loss. Now that you've said you are looking at a Macbook then yes a NAS probably makes more sense.

Undecided as of yet.
Can I get a NAS and connect it to either Mac or Windows or does it have to be formatted according to the target OS thus not being able to use it cross platform?

Because with large hard drives there is a significant chance that a second drive will fail whilst a first failed drive is rebuilding, losing all of your data.

Where are you getting this from?

https://unraid.net/

Yes

Why can't you?

I have no other place. I live in an apartment. We own a second property a 20 second walk away, but not sure how I would go around backing up my data onto external USB drives then storing them in some kind of travel case to and from this apartment to the house every single time. How frequently to do it, how to backup only the files that have been changed etc etc.

A second backup could just be a USB Hard drive that you manually back up to once a week (if you can then take it offsite, or even leave it in your car etc, then you are protecting against fire/flood/etc destroying your house and losing your data)

Flood would destroy the data in the car? A full on armed robbery would likely involve theft of the car too so .....

Having a NAS on your lan won't keep your data safe from hackers - all it takes is for your PC to be infected with something, and the data on your NAS could also be worthless.

What are your thoughts on this: https://www.zdnet.com/article/thous...-have-been-infected-with-the-qsnatch-malware/
and there are other articles about NAS hackers but can't find the one I found on my phone recently that involves all NAS drives.

A NAS also won't let you restore accidentally deleted files, corrupt files or anything else - by itself it isn't a backup

I know it's not a backup so how can I automate the backup process should I buy 3-4 10TB external USB drives?

Thanks

How do you quote individual quotes but many of them as you did in your reply and then be able to type underneath each quote rather than inside the quote as I keep doing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom