What new films have you seen.

Associate
Recently seen in no particular order.

Micheal Clayton
Resident Evil , Extinction
The Kingdom
Stardust.
The Departed (On sky)
ratatouie <-- I know its not spelt like this.

Loved them all. The kingdom got a little heavy at times, and I was suprised they got away with so much. Stardust is excellent.

My fav of all has to be Resident evil. I love people getting shot in the teeth and head I sit there thinking I could do that! and the term how do you like being fed apples comes to mind.

If you liked Michael Clayton check out Syrania you won't be disappointed!

Associate
Stardust is excellent.

Any more details on Stardust from anyone? I really enjoyed the novel and am a big Gaimen fan (mainly from all the Sandman comics, but also most of his other stuff) I've heard that Stardust has been "cleaned up" a lot - less "adult" than the novel was? I suppose this makes sense, but I wonder if anyone has seen it and read the novel?

I'm not sure if I should hope for a Sandman movie after Stardust's apparent success or not. ;) I think Gaimen may be on record saying he never wants a Sandman movie made. Apparently there was a script put together in Hollywood a while back with lines like "Haha, foolish mortals, bulllets cannot harm me." coming from Morpheus and that put him right off Hollywood as a whole. :rolleyes: Stardust seems to have changed that a bit though.

Associate
Any more details on Stardust from anyone? I really enjoyed the novel and am a big Gaimen fan (mainly from all the Sandman comics, but also most of his other stuff) I've heard that Stardust has been "cleaned up" a lot - less "adult" than the novel was? I suppose this makes sense, but I wonder if anyone has seen it and read the novel?

I saw a preview screening a week or so back - it's not 100% faithful to the book (I'm not going to detail exactly how as I don't want to spoil the film for anyone). The book has a darker tone than the film, but it works well having the film a little more lighthearted and tongue in cheek IMO; it is supposed to be more of a family film than anything else.

My advice - disregard the book and enjoy the film, the wife and I thought it was fantastic :)

Associate
i thought michael clayton and syriana were both very very slow. .

got so bored. in both of them.

Some of the most finely written films ever... I suppose I sort of can see why you got bored, the dialogue is quite sparse at times, but this allows for a lot of cinematic 'moments' , Also the parallel story telling was fantastic, overall it was just a great movie. Obviously it did ***** at the B.O, but what do you expect from a public that lap up sh** like Spiderman 3? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of the most finely written films ever... I suppose I sort of can see why you got bored, the dialogue is quite sparse at times, but this allows for a lot of cinematic 'moments' , Also the parallel story telling was fantastic, overall it was just a great movie. Obviously it did ***** at the B.O, but what do you expect from a public that lap up sh** like Spiderman 3? :p

Remember, Spiderman3 was hyped up a lot. On top of which it was a sequel, so you have a ready made audience prepared to pay money to watch the movie, even if it were panned by movie reviewers. This is the advantage to making sequels of movies that were not only good, but also made a lot of money at the box office.

If more money was spent on advertising Syriana (or any movie for that matter), then it will make more money. What movie executives have to decide is what film will make the most, by spending the big amounts on advertising it. Sometimes they get it wrong - Evan Almighty - which was one of the most expensive movies of all time, especially when you include the obscene amounts of money spent on advertising it. Even then it didnt do that great at the box office.

I was dissapointed with Spiderman3, though the fight scenes were fantastic. The CGI teams working on that movie should be commended.

I shall watch Syriana.

Associate
Oh no doubt the CGI was fantastic, it's just the rest of the film was just awful, sometimes it can be forgiven, but when nearly every scene makes you cringe I find it hard to do so. Seriously, it was like it was written by a 15 year old kid, and on top of that the story was like it was created through a forum game, where people add one word after another and in the coming up with some ridiculous story.

Soldato
Oh no doubt the CGI was fantastic, it's just the rest of the film was just awful, sometimes it can be forgiven, but when nearly every scene makes you cringe I find it hard to do so. Seriously, it was like it was written by a 15 year old kid, and on top of that the story was like it was created through a forum game, where people add one word after another and in the coming up with some ridiculous story.

My own feeling was that there were too many bad guys: sandman, venom and Harry [for half of the film]). I feel they wouldve done better to concentrate maybe on just having Venom as the sole bad guy - they wouldve been able to do A LOT with him. FWIW though, in the IMDB database, it has scored the lowest of all 3 spiderman movies, though it will probably end up making more money than the other 2.

Last edited:
Associate
My own feeling was that there were too many bad guys: sandman, venom and Harry [for half of the film]). I feel they wouldve done better to concentrate maybe on just having Venom as the sole bad guy - they wouldve been able to do A LOT with him. FWIW though, in the IMDB database, it has scored the lowest of all 3 spiderman movies, though it will probably end up making more money than the other 2.

Sandman was ridiculous, i'm not a scientist but i'm pretty sure there's nowhere on earth with open-air particle physics testing facilities... as I recall particle physics was quite an exact science.

Soldato
Sandman was ridiculous, i'm not a scientist but i'm pretty sure there's nowhere on earth with open-air particle physics testing facilities... as I recall particle physics was quite an exact science.

I'm also pretty sure getting bitten by some non existent genetically engineered spider doesn't give you superpowers either.

Associate
I'm also pretty sure getting bitten by some non existent genetically engineered spider doesn't give you superpowers either.

It's more tangible to me, atleast it didn't bother me when I watched the film as I accepeted the premise that it's not real life in order to watch the film and I can appreciate the possibility of it. Still, an open air particle physics testing facility would defy any logic even in the world of spiderman, it doesn't fit/make sense.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Copy n pasted from my flixster reviews:

Death at a Funeral: 7/10

Decent comedic fare, harmless and easy to watch.
Can't really go wrong with a naked guy gurning on acid. ;)

Lucky Number Slevin: 9/10

Thoroughly enjoyed this, decent twist if you are not expecting any, and well acted characters. Some great one-liners too.

TMNT: 8/10

Accept this for what it is and you will have a great time.
Nostalgia coupled with great graphics and animation made this perfect for Sunday evening viewing. The soundtrack and 'choreography' were awesome!

Wild Hogs: 7/10

Another case of accept it for what it is and you have a decent movie. Some real LOL moments, and great cameo by Dr Cox.

Man of Honour
I never had the mindset of it being a convincing story line, it was kinda silly and fun, plus I knew absolutely nothing about the film, had never even seen a trailer, so had no expectations.

I enjoyed it, others wont, as with most movies.
What irked me was that it felt like it was obvious it was trying to be clever rather than simply being clever. As such the film felt like a 'try hard'.

It wasn't a 'bad' film, far from it. It just felt like it fell short of its target, for me at least.

Associate
I've recently seen the following that I can think of at the cinema;

Golden Compass
Hitman
Wristcutters: A Love Story
Run Fat Boy Run
30 Days Of Night
Beowulf 3D
Death Proof
Ratatouille [twice]

Been going every wednesday with my friends lately, thinking of getting an unlimited card after christmas.

Back
Top Bottom