What new Leatherman?

Soldato
So I've owned my current Leatherman PST II for well over 20 years now and whilst there is nothing wrong with it and it still gets used at least once a week, I think I've had my moneys worth and can treat myself to a replacement. :p

I'm not wanting to look at other brands as Leatherman has proven themselves with what I already got. Currently I have the following shortlisted models, FREE P4, Wave+ and the Charge+

So OcUK, any thoughts or recommendations?

Soldato
I've had my Wave for 10 years now. I used it every day when I was working. The Wave+ is the same tool with replaceable cutters in the pliers.

However, I just saw the price and almost fell of my chair. It's ridiculous and I'd never pay it.

Soldato
I thought you could send them back and they will refurbish it or is that if it break's.

I have a leatherman mini - (obsolete now) and it's small enough to go on car keys - wife was impressed so got her one.
Got them while in US and they were about $12 each - bought some spares to sell to mates for what they cost me - one thought £12 was too much but had one - next week he said thay were £32 in local gun dealers.
I have a Gerber now (from US)and also a cheapy from Lidl

Soldato
I have a Charge + use it every day at work.

broken the tip off the needle nose pliers twice now (both my own fault) each time sent it back to leatherman uk service centre (whitby and co) and they send me a complete new replacement tool.

absolutely worth the money for the lifetime guarantee alone.

Soldato
The only Leatherman tools I ever found worth buying were the Surge and, if using them for light tasks, the Micra and the Squirt PS4.
I've broken a Wave, a Wingman and several others (though not as many as I have Gerbers), and I too often found the screwdrivers just didn't fit the vast majority of screws I encountered. Swappable jigsaw blades are nice, though.

The biggest issue though is the locking blades, which mean I can't carry them outside of work use.

Soldato
I've got a Kick at home and a Wave at work, while the extra tools on the wave are useful sometimes i find it's offset by the extra bulk, i prefer my Kick as its a lot nicer to have in your jeans pocket but i'm not allowed to use that in work as it's not got a locking blade.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Had an original wave for 20+ years and still going strong around the house, may even treat it to a service.
And I've got the facelift wave with bit set in work, good selection of screwdriver bits and pretty much covers most uses, probably the best all round tool they do.

Back
Top Bottom