• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What Nivida Cards Bitstream HD master audio?

Soldato
I think they are also based on the gf104 core so i guess so. Again it's only just been added to the drivers though and i have read there are problems and it doesn't work propperly.

Soldato
Just found this

http://en.expreview.com/2010/09/13/...ail-to-deliver-bitstreaming-support/9660.html

This is a frustrating test – NVIDIA has released the GeForce GTS 460 for two months, but it hasn’t provided the bitstreaming support as it promised. Yes, you can use the MPC-HC and FFDShow to enable Dolby TrueHD output for GTX 460, but you’ll have to wait NVIDIA’s driver update on the blu-ray discs. The company hasn’t solved this problem for even the latest GTS 450 card.

Obviously AMD does a better job regarding this, because its Radeon HD 5000 series featured HDMI audio support on making its debut.

One of the reasons i avoided this round of nvidia cards, i use the hd audio all the time on my home cinema.

Last edited:
Soldato
im still not convinced about using separate cards for audio and video. However it's just dawned on me that i do have an onboard gpu :)p). I'm strapped for time now but i'll give this a go using seperate audio and video streams and tell you what happens with HD playback and whatnot tomorrow if it helps at all.

Caporegime
OP
im still not convinced about using separate cards for audio and video. However it's just dawned on me that i do have an onboard gpu :)p). I'm strapped for time now but i'll give this a go using seperate audio and video streams and tell you what happens with HD playback and whatnot tomorrow if it helps at all.

Thanks

:)

Associate
Just got a 460 it was I thought the only one capable until the 450. Had some HDMI issues detecting my Onkyo all good now, way more efort than the 5770 for sure. Spent about 2 hours trying to get the colours etc correct. It says it can now bitstream everything. Will be giving it a good test tommorrow. I'll let you know.

Soldato
From looking at how it's done on nvidia cards it does look like much more of a ball ache than the 5 seconds it took to set up with both my 5770's and now my 5870. As soon as i turn my hd amp (onkyo tx-sr605) and tv on the pc automatically extends the desktop and switches the audio output to the hdmi, makes for very simple playback :)

Soldato
GeForce GT 210

What audio can this do?

According to this review:
It must be noted that Nvidia’s new entry-level GPUs still lack a full-featured audio core. They receive an audio stream from an audio card installed in the system via PCI Express. This implementation is better than the S/PDIF connection that was utilized earlier, though.

So its a better implementation than before, but if you are using a good amp it's certainly not as good as bit streaming.

Caporegime
OP
I understand looking around and that, but when it's not clear what the other stuff can do, go with what's the clearest. Seems like a lot of faffing about for nothing really.

Not really,

I will be running two cards

One feeds the games and one feeds the Video and audio for movies to my PJ and amp.

Ideally I wanted to get a 460 but this will work alongside the other card.

Hence my question

The 460 is the better card than 5770 but I can't run a 460 and 5450 togerher in one rig.

Soldato
I don't really understand why you want 2 cards? If you can wait maybe something like the 6770 maybe able to fill both roles if you think a single 5770 is not fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom