What PC games are you playing?

Associate
I though it was a great game. Genuinely creepy atmosphere throughout and I really enjoyed exploring the castle and thought the old machinery puzzles were pretty cool. I did find the controls a little frustrating at times when I was trying to move stuff that were blocking doorways for example but that's a very small gripe. I got some genuine chills down the spine when playing it although on the terror inducing scale I'd say it sits just below Outlast, Alien Isolation and Cry of Fear.

Interesting.. Not sure if I would like outlast, apparently it's a lot of running?

Soldato
Interesting.. Not sure if I would like outlast, apparently it's a lot of running?

There is quite a lot of running - that is you're are running away to hide somewhere when you've been spotted. Outlast is absolutely terrifying, brilliantly so but it does take some nerve to get through it. I actually gave up on it about two thirds through the game as it got to the point where I couldn't muster the courage to keep going. After completing Alien Isolation and therefore acquiring some newly found confidence and courage I went back to it about a year later and was really glad I went back and finished it. You feel a true sense of achievement completing both Alien Isolation and Outlast for just managing to have the spheres to get through the games!

Ree

Ree

Associate
started deus ex md and uninstalled it before finishing the first level, really horrible game to play. onto something else dont know what yet.

Associate
Whats your view on Amnesia?

I didn't find it at all scary, more like a point and click puzzle game which was very self contained. I never felt that any of the "puzzles" were unfair or overly hard (I got stuck once) and I was genuinely interested to see how the story would play out (although the resolution could have been better). It is very much an exploration based puzzler with atmosphere, but because of the liberal use of checkpoints there is no real penalty for dying (which I have no complaints with!) and thus it eliminates some of the tension. In fact one of the most tense parts of my Amnesia experience was in the Justine story where you're being chased by something that is pounding through doors to break through to kill you. Because there's no saves in that the Justine story if you die you start over....in that chase sequence there's more tension than in the whole of the main game!

I enjoyed the whole thing enough to try some of the custom stories although I wasn't particularly impressed by these as they didn't display the same elegant simplicity of design. If you want a journey through an old spooky castle with story and atmosphere give it a go, although don't expect to be terrified.

Soldato
Nier: Automata. Still haven't finished but I already know this is one of the finest and most unique games I have ever played. It's utterly weird and utterly beautiful in its weirdness.

The soundtrack is simply jaw-dropping and might be the best I've ever heard in a game or very close.

The combat and movement feel superb and how the game plays with various genres and perspectives to throw you off occasionally is really well done. The gameplay is a rollercoaster.

On top of that, the story really smuggles in rather serious themes and does so in quite an intricate way. Besides, the way the plot and the in-game mechanics themselves are handled might well amount to the most ambitious attempt at storytelling in games. It's hard to describe without spoiling anything.

The flaws:

-the open world is rather barren and could've been better (but it can also be quite beautiful and depressing)
-invisible walls
-the graphics aren't impressive and can be quite ugly at times
-some sidequests get fetchy

The rest is absolutely splendid and an incredible achievent with such a small budget and hardly any serious hype. Yoko Taro is a bloody weirdo. And a bloody genius.

Associate
Nier: Automata.

The rest is absolutely splendid and an incredible achievent with such a small budget and hardly any serious hype. Yoko Taro is a bloody weirdo. And a bloody genius.

I agree with everything you said - and apparently sold 340k units on steam alone (ign say it surpassed 1 mil total, other sites ~500k, but I cant see that with steam sales being so high) - so hopefully we will see a lot more

Bayonetta also has sold 200k on steam already, vanquish out today, good for platinum doing PC ports of all their games

Soldato
After pretty much a year off started on GW2 again last night, forgot how much fun it is at low level and I still love how you can be leveling away and suddenly 20 + people turn up for an event.

Soldato
I agree with everything you said - and apparently sold 340k units on steam alone (ign say it surpassed 1 mil total, other sites ~500k, but I cant see that with steam sales being so high) - so hopefully we will see a lot more

Bayonetta also has sold 200k on steam already, vanquish out today, good for platinum doing PC ports of all their games

Yeah, I really hope the game gets the recognition it deserves and we'll hopefully have a chance to revisit these worlds in the future.
Well, it's already got the recognition with some reviewers calling it a gem that only happens once a generation so sales is what's left.

Platinum Games and Yoko Taro is a great combo with immense potential, judging from what's been achieved here.

I'm also very happy I'll be able to finally play Vanquish.

Associate
not sure how the teams work at platinum (if they are one big team or what), but 'bayonetta & vanquish studio' have a new IP in the works, will be for PC.
http://www.pcgamer.com/bayonetta-and-vanquish-studio-is-working-on-a-brand-new-project/

feel kinda glad about scalebound being canned, shame if it lost them money, but glad because
- xbox exclusive
- main character was probably the most annoying sounding lead role in a video game I have heard since Tidus in FFX. And micwosoft probably would not allow japanese language, because REGIONS ARE IMPORTANT

Associate
I'm extremely annoyed when I can't play with original audio, especially when said audio happens to be in Japanese.

Yep! its hampering my pc playthroughs of the final fantasy games. The American voice actors for Anime-styled games are so whiny. Maybe they are whiny in Japanese but I dont notice it, not being native.

Associate
Personally I'll always opt for an English dub if there's one available...and if it's universally terrible I just turn down the audio (preferably just the speech). A poor dub might be alienating but a completely different language acts as more of a barrier for me. I just completed a play through of Another World 25th Anniversary...it's still a classic and amazing what one man achieved.

Soldato
In my case, it's just that I like the atmosphere it creates. I like Japanese in particular and know the language enough to get through games and not feel too alienated. I went through the Japanese version of Yakuza 0 with some translation work and it was fun:p

EDIT: FFXIII has Japanese audio on PC

Back
Top Bottom