What PC games are you playing?

Soldato
Playing pathfinder Kingmaker, a flawed gem so to speak. Is deep, massive with so much going on and a kingdom management element. However it does have far too many bugs, and its very hard to get into initially. Some battles and combat are extremely brutal, even on normal. Likewise the Kingdom management element has background timer's going on so at some points need to crack on with things, even when not patently obvious. But the team are patching and making tweaks and the recent large patch's have resolved a number of things. In all a solid game.

Soldato
Want a time sink that's awesome and full of either hilarious or heartbreaking bugs? Try No Mans Sky! No seriously, it's not the same game that got slated when it first came out and is actually pretty awesome if you like a slower paced game full of exploration and base building etc.

Soldato
Second run through of Dark Souls 3. Think I am enjoying more second time round. Doing pyromancy build and have just past the bit where ds3 really starts! Get gud!!!. Since my first play I have gone 1440p UW and was disappointed it's not supported though.
I bought Dark Souls 3 in a sale and after finally trying it, I couldn't even stomach it long enough to make it through the first tutorial area. Odd as I thought I'd really like the game.

Soldato
I bought Dark Souls 3 in a sale and after finally trying it, I couldn't even stomach it long enough to make it through the first tutorial area. Odd as I thought I'd really like the game.
Same here. I was looking forward to playing it but after getting killed umpteen times by the boss in the tutorial I gave up. I didn't like the control system but mostly, where was the incentive for me to try and beat the guy? No story yet, no intro, no nothing. Switched to Darksiders 3 and loving it.

Soldato
Same here. I was looking forward to playing it but after getting killed umpteen times by the boss in the tutorial I gave up. I didn't like the control system but mostly, where was the incentive for me to try and beat the guy? No story yet, no intro, no nothing. Switched to Darksiders 3 and loving it.
Yeah exactly, I though, "what the hell is the point of this?". :D

If there was a lead-in story about being damned to the circles of hell or something maybe I'd have felt differently but it was just like, "here you are, do stuff."

Soldato

I had this with Dark Souls 1. Tried to play it twice, each time got sick.

Third time I played it and wow. I got totally engrossed in the atmosphere of the game, the challenge, the moveset.. you appreciate all the little things. Even when I completed the game, I got googling about the lore. Its a really delicate game. Unlike other games, it really does reward skill and keeps things relatively simple. You can pretty much complete the game with most of the starter weapons aslong as you upgrade them. The lore and constant challenge and mystery was addictive.

Its definitely a proper hard core game tho.

I'm playing Witcher 3. Just heading to Skiellege now. Its pretty good. I've done most of Velen and Novigrad and its been good. The story is great, the side quests are the best I've seen in a video game. The actual world seems a bit too big and densely populated though. Its almost as if too much is going on.

After playing BOTW, Trails in the Sky and even Skyrim, Witcher 3 has a few flaws. Namely world building of NPCs other than the main cast. They just lack a lot of proper characterisation and for me this stems from the inability to talk to them outside of a specific quest line. Its sad because they tackle some awesome themes but walking down a street and having 10 people talk at the same time is just annoying. Also not being able to interact with the woman crying about her dead child or husband is just a bit annoying.

The towns are also just too big to the extent they're not memorable. Every street looks the same in Novigrad and I'm basically just using my mini-map all the time which is never a good sign of a game IMO. I hope after BOTW, more open world developers will now try to ditch the absolute reliance on mini maps to navigate.

Don't get me wrong, its shaping up to probably be one of my favourite games played because I'm invested in the Witcher universe and the world they've created is awesome. I think If I'd played this before BOTW, I'd be very very impressed. It destroys BOTW in regards to story + lore + characters but as a game, BOTW has a few really vital advantages over it.

Last edited:
Associate
I have got back into DayZ and Star Citizen for my flat gaming fix.

Still mostly playing VR though, but I’m hopefully somebody makes a DayZ VR mod soon enough, Star Citizen has a headtracking VR fix but it requires vorpX, and I’m too cheap to pay the £20 for it

Associate
Pretty much just playing American Truck Simulator since the Oregon DLC was released, having a nice time driving around exploring the routes.
Somehow I've completely forgotten how to cleanly reverse a double trailer into a bay though, took me a good 10 minutes of re-adjusting my truck to get them aligned correctly...

Associate
Rfactor 2. The race themes are a bit random, e.g there is no set series, circuits etc. Once I got my XBox controller settings right - Its very good. The Clio's feel spot on and circuits look right.

The game does feel a little unfinished, the sim really needs a few FIA series to feel truly complete. At the moment there are random cars from Clio's to Sport cars, the game appears to rely on mods - which as with any mod, can be a lottery in quality. Not tried any mods yet though. The default cars and tracks - AI is great and handling feels just right for my taste.

Rfactor graphics wont compete with Assetto Corsa, only it does look a lot better once all the blur, head bobbing effects are switched off.

Back
Top Bottom