What percentage of your worth would you spend on a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Well I inherited a large amount of money recently and i'm on an ok wage and live at home with my mum. So with the money i did want to buy a nice Audi A4 or R8 :) but decided to be sensible as i got engaged last year and trying to get a house. So what i did was spend £4k on a 57 plate Passat and spent about £1k doing it up a bit and took my fiancee to Rome for 10 days (save up the spending money from my wages) upgraded my pc and the rest has gone into bonds, ISAs etc and once i've sorted out a mortgage I will use it for a deposit and keep £30k for rainyday/sports car budget.

Last edited:
Associate
As little as possible to get a car that did what I really needed it to do. So if it's a long commute get me their using as small amount of fuel as possible, in relative comfort, start every morning and not look out of place in the car park. If it's a family car then the same on starting but with enough space to drive off for a holiday in the UK with all the stuff a family needs to take.

The rest of the money I would have for improving my long term future so reducing my mortgage, going towards a house deposit, training course etc.

I have a feeling the answer you want isn't as little as possible...

Associate
What I "really need it to do" is put a smile on my face, and have air conditioning. Those are my criteria. :p

Find a nice cheap sports car and have a bit of fun then. My 'fun' car i could afford when i was 20 was a 2.2 Astra Coupe. Was great fun for the 4 years i had it. Cost me £1.8k to buy but sadly the A/C didn't work lol

Associate
Then you need two cars, (if you do need one for transport) one to do the boring daily grind and the other to put a smile on your face. The smile on your face car could be a project, to improve over time which may well put more of a smile on your face than just splurging a load of money on something that is the finished article. As to air con, get a soft top ;)

Soldato
I spent 200% of my yearly salary on a car which I planned on keeping for six months.

I always said I wanted to own a sports car within my lifetime so I did it :D

Caporegime
OP
I've been looking at A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line Sportbacks. :p Quite a substantial upgrade from a Polo 1.2 with no features whatsoever. And the insurance is incredibly reasonable for such a car. Very surprisingly so. :p

It would be for practical and fun purposes, while being comfortable, nice to look at, quick and reasonable to insure. A predicted average MPG of 28 doesn't bother me too much with my annual mileage of 8K either, as it works out as something like a £400 difference.

INB4 "Why would you get an Audi for fun?" and "Why would you spend that much on a hatchback when you could get a sports car for half as much?"

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking at A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line Sportbacks. :p Quite a substantial upgrade from a Polo 1.2 with no features whatsoever. And the insurance is incredibly reasonable for such a car. Very surprisingly so. :p

It would be for practical and fun purposes, while being comfortable, nice to look at, quick and reasonable to insure. A predicted average MPG of 28 doesn't bother me too much with my annual mileage of 8K either, as it works out as something like a £400 difference.

I have the same engine but in a Golf and they are pretty reliable but they really do drink fuel. I get 33mpg on a 400 mile motorway journey I do twice a month and thats sticking to 70mph.

Caporegime
OP
I have the same engine but in a Golf and they are pretty reliable but they really do drink fuel. I get 33mpg on a 400 mile motorway journey I do twice a month and thats sticking to 70mph.

Couple of people in the Audi thread said they were seeing around 36 to 38MPG on motorway runs.

The Polo does about 50MPG on a motorway run. While being noisy, fairly uncomfortable, and, well, a Polo.

Soldato
Couple of people in the Audi thread said they were seeing around 36 to 38MPG on motorway runs.

The Polo does about 50MPG on a motorway run. While being noisy, fairly uncomfortable, and, well, a Polo.

I can't compare like for like as I have a Golf mkv GTI but I get 400 miles at a push out of 55 litres on a motorway run. Add in town driving and its more like 360 miles out of a tank. It's a brilliant engine though but just be aware about the fuel costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom