What PSU for £80-100?

Soldato
Name says it all :p

Currently using a fairly old 430w Enermax PSU but its struggling a little to keep everything in my PC running so I need something with a little more oomph!

Ideally something modular so I can unplug any cables I dont need.

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Either the Corsair 520w or the Corsair 620w would be my suggestion, either would be more than capable.

icon14.gif
best psu's for the money:)

Associate
If you want an alternative, I'd check out the Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs, which get good reviews all over the place, and are bloody good value as well.

Associate
mishima said:
Phal: What are you powering?

I would buy some cable ties and save the extra £20-30 by just getting a normal PSU. I've always thought that the extra £££ for them to tidy up the wires a bit isn't worth it.

In that price range though I would go for this -

I have the modular version of that :p very good PSU, and very quiet :D

Man of Honour
mishima said:
Seasonic are mint PSUs! Definately worth the extra

Corsair PSUs are based on the Seasonic M12 design, are supposed to be built to even higher quality standards and like for like (e.g. modular PSU to modular PSU) are cheaper. Seasonic are still very good but when something as good or better is available cheaper then I see no reason not to go for it. :)

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Corsair PSUs are based on the Seasonic M12 design, are supposed to be built to even higher quality standards and like for like (e.g. modular PSU to modular PSU) are cheaper. Seasonic are still very good but when something as good or better is available cheaper then I see no reason not to go for it. :)

There is a reason why this man got made a moh, there is your evidence. :)

Man of Honour
mishima said:
And I want to see the evidence of his statement ;)

No worries, JonnyGuru mentions it in his review of the 520w PSU and again at the bottom of his review of the 620w version, SilentPC Review also make mention of the OEM of the PSUs. I could probably find more if necessary but more telling than both the above websites is the fact that Yellowbeard on these forums works for Corsair technical support and he said they were made by Seasonic. :)

Soldato
So you are saying that Corsair PSU's are actually made by Seasonic? I was under the impression that they were just very similar in their construction and layout as the SilentPC review tends to lead you to.

Man of Honour
mishima said:
So you are saying that Corsair PSU's are actually made by Seasonic? I was under the impression that they were just very similar in their construction and layout as the SilentPC review tends to lead you to.

Absolutely, they are made by Seasonic. I don't know if Corsair have the facilities to manufacture the PSUs internally so they would therefore need to rebrand an OEMs PSUs. The most telling quote in the SilentPC review is
Choosing Seasonic as their OEM is a perfectly wise decision
and as from the JonnyGuru review he states that they have a Seasonic PCB internally, all of which, when linked to what Yellowbeard has previously said gives me no reason to doubt that they are rebranded units originally made by Seasonic (albeit probably manufactured to Corsairs specifications). :)

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Absolutely, they are made by Seasonic. I don't know if Corsair have the facilities to manufacture the PSUs internally so they would therefore need to rebrand an OEMs PSUs. The most telling quote in the SilentPC review is and as from the JonnyGuru review he states that they have a Seasonic PCB internally, all of which, when linked to what Yellowbeard has previously said gives me no reason to doubt that they are rebranded units originally made by Seasonic (albeit probably manufactured to Corsairs specifications). :)

Thats fair enough then, seems a bit strange though. What you said earlier about them being cheaper for basically the same thing is definately a valid point.

Soldato
yes, corsair psau's are made by seasonic:) they are based on the s12 internals with higher grade components, and also have the m12's modular cable system. As they dont have the m12's annoying 60mm fan they are the best of both worlds and the worst of neither. In addition they have a 5 year manufacturers warranty (longer than any other) which plainly makes them the best bang for buck psu's you can buy.

incidentally, corsair showed off a 620w powering a quad-core,8800gtx sli psu. how many manufacturers do you know would dare to do that with a 600w psu? only the ones who know their psu's are the business;)

Back
Top Bottom