1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What pump to use in an all aluminium loop?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by marlies, Apr 28, 2020.

1. marlies

Associate

I have a two aluminium radiator from a broken AIOs that I want to reuse. The best known DDC/D5 pump has a stainless steel rotor/impeller, so that's a no-go unless I use coolant with corrosion inhibitors. Does anyone know if there's an all-plastic (on the wet side) pump with decent reputation? I have an Aquacomputer Aquastream too, but that also has a metal rotor/impeller.

2. Bugbait

Gangster

Every pump will have some form of metal to varying degrees so best to just use an inhibitor.

3. marlies

Associate

Got any suggestion for what fluid to use? There will probably be aluminium, stainless steel, and nickel plated brass/copper in the loop.

4. Bugbait

Gangster

5. WantoN

Capodecina

XT1 Nuke is my fluid of choice. I avoid aluminium components at all costs, but in your situation of I'd feel comfortable using a D5.

I take it the blocks are aluminium too?

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  6. marlies

Associate

I only have two Al radiators at the moment. The rest of my watercooling gear is Cu, or Ni-plated Cu.

If something like Thermaltake C1000 (I intend to use clear, since I don't like days long flushing cycles to get rid of the staining) actually works with mix metals, I might just plumb all the parts I have on hand and test it externally by itself until quarantine is over and check for corrosion after. I worry about the pre-mix attacking my existing tubing though (mayhem ultra clear, PVC)

7. WantoN

Capodecina

I'm the same, I only ever use clear. XT1 Nuke clear has been great for me with ZMT tubing.

8. marlies

Associate

Can I link to another forum here? I found a decently detailed post about the various pre-mix/concentrate on the market. Google for "The Best Documented PC Coolants" Need to do some more googling for reviews of the listed clear tier 1 coolants.