What RAM are you getting/bought for Ryzen

Soldato
I've built 3 systems using the Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 combined with the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 and 2 of the systems are stable at 2933MHz using the XMP and reducing the multiplier. The other is stable at 3200MHz with the XMP - all using the F6 BIOS.

Obviously, it's no guarantee you'll get the same results but hopefully it's reassured you a bit. And as you say, with new releases you should eventually hit the magic number. Especially when they increase the dividers.
Don't have the system fully built (no os hdd and still wc loop to build in) but stuck a spare gpu in and flashed bios. Set xmp which put the ram to 3200 but boot looped. Never fiddled with any settings but I'm sure I'll get at least 2933 straight off so quite happy to sit at that until next bios revision if tweaking doesn't get me to 3200

Soldato
Don't have the system fully built (no os hdd and still wc loop to build in) but stuck a spare gpu in and flashed bios. Set xmp which put the ram to 3200 but boot looped. Never fiddled with any settings but I'm sure I'll get at least 2933 straight off so quite happy to sit at that until next bios revision if tweaking doesn't get me to 3200
Ah, gotcha.

And, yes, sounds about right - the other 2 builds did exactly the same when attempting 3200MHz - but they settled at 2933MHz and neither have had a single cold boot issue to date (that's put the kiss of death on both of them). Would hope you will be just as fortunate.

Best of luck with the rest of build, Thekwango.

Soldato
Ah, gotcha.

And, yes, sounds about right - the other 2 builds did exactly the same when attempting 3200MHz - but they settled at 2933MHz and neither have had a single cold boot issue to date (that's put the kiss of death on both of them). Would hope you will be just as fortunate.

Best of luck with the rest of build, Thekwango.
cheers mate. just wish I could get a bit more 'free' time to work on it - was fitting the rad @ 4am then up again at 8 with a 2 year old - now painting a ceiling!!! to rub salt in the wounds, the rad fans and pump mount arrived today but I can't see me having any time to fit!! fml!!

Soldato
cheers mate. just wish I could get a bit more 'free' time to work on it - was fitting the rad @ 4am then up again at 8 with a 2 year old
Jeez, I can relate to that. :)

My son went through an 'interesting' phase of waking at 3am and the only way he could be placated was being held while standing/walking for 2hrs. He could even tell if you perched against a table or lent against a wall - I swear he was born with a gyro-based-nav system.

Obviously, sleep became a novelty in our house and as a result I did one of my most memorable builds. Went to bed with a table full of parts prepped and a BabyBjorn (you won't need this explaining) at the side of the bed. So, at 03.15'ish with my young son securely strapped to my back in the BabyBjorn (he loved that thing), I began what turned out to be one of my most enjoyable builds. I couldn't sit - so had all the parts, unboxed, and laid out on the dining table and built the whole system while constantly on the move (well almost constantly) - circling the table when needed. Who knew you could keep fit building a PC... (probably wouldn't have attempted this had I been putting it under water.)

If kids can take in such things at a subconscious/subliminal level my youngest son is going to be computer/maths whizz with the things I learnt to do while walking in circles in the early hours.

to rub salt in the wounds, the rad fans and pump mount arrived today but I can't see me having any time to fit!! fml!!

You have my sympathies - nothing worse than a build lying in wait because of DIY :/

Soldato
In Laymens terms: Why isnt 3600 rated ram running at 3600?

Is it just that one tech is running ahead of another

The IMC can't handle high speeds. There may be more improvements through further firmware updates but unlikely to get much better.

3600 is achievable by some. I can run CL16 with slacked timings but 3333/3466 with tighter timings works out better where latency is concerned.

Associate
The IMC can't handle high speeds. There may be more improvements through further firmware updates but unlikely to get much better.

3600 is achievable by some. I can run CL16 with slacked timings but 3333/3466 with tighter timings works out better where latency is concerned.

I here ya! Ive found the same thing with my g.skill 3600C16. My cheap mobo seems to want to retrain the ram a few times on the odd occasion at 3466C16 so ive just slapped it back to 3333C16 for now until an official bios is out. It's plenty fast enough at 3.85 and i'll have a play with the timings then.

Soldato
In Laymens terms: Why isnt 3600 rated ram running at 3600?

I have some Team Group 3600 that does run at 3600, it boots and windows seem fine at 3600 at stock CPU clocks, didnt bother running further tests as it wasnt stable when clocking the CPU.

At 3.8Ghz I run 3333 14-14-14-34, it will also do 3.9Ghz and higher but the extra voltage doesn't seem worth it so settled with 3.8Ghz, I can also go higher on the memory but then have to run 16-16-16-36 timings.

Soldato
So is there a current round up of the RAM to go for (rather than just compatibility list above)? Seems a nightmare to tell what RAM uses what chips!

My brothers looking for 8GB, maybe 16GB RAM, and at the moment he's probably opting for the £85 Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, but realise the CL14 stuff is better, but seems so expensive and not sure its worth it?

Did find some CL14 3200 GSkill elsewhere 16GB for £177.

Don't remember ever having to study/stare at RAM so much before haha!

Back
Top Bottom