What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
I have a circa 2001 900mhz Celeron Tiny PC with a Micro-Star MS-6368 motherboard. Needs a full re-cap. No idea what I'm going to do with it when it's fixed

Soldato
Sorry to hear about the AWE64 man. Is there any damage to the card you can see? Is it just bent. If you end up not doing anything with it, if your not utilising the SPDIF bracket I've been looking for one for a good while!

What error messages do you get with Unisound & the PNP util?

I've given up on the AWE64 so yeah I can pass on the SPDIF cable if you still want it! Hopefully the card will go for a little money on eBay even as spares and repair.

Associate
Thanks, I appreciate it. I did try all kinds of stuff copy and pasting links using the toolbar etc but I just get .

I really don't know... I've tried.

I'm going to give up trying now. This site needs a direct image upload option.

Its a shame because I had a lot I wanted to show plus more vintage IBM desktop PC's I got today.

Last edited:
Associate
I got it sorted Thank God for that. I can now grow my hair back.

OK... here is the first images of the TINY PC. Its far from complete much work to do plus I'm changing its appearance a bit to the front panel but I will be keeping all original parts cable tied inside the machine so that it can still be put back to original condition at any point in the future, however it is missing a drive bay cover which is one of the reasons why I chose to do this plus I like to see my drives rather than them being berried under lots of plastic.

gszdzGW.jpg
hsK5Uvs.jpg
I had changed the original motherboard as every single electrolytic capacitor was bulging so it got a replacement motherboard.
Rt0gIPG.jpg

The replacement motherboard went right in and lined up with the original I/O shield at the back.

yzVwcI1.jpg
ANgW2zs.jpg
b1yhOA7.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Use Imgur, it’s really quick and easy to upload and share photos (and free)

@manisses that’s a great Tiny PC. I sold my retro Voodoo 3 gateway machine with Soundblaster and CRT monitor a while ago. Sort of wish I hadnt but it took up a lot of room
Thanks! I like it a lot, the case is so "tiny" haha, it looks really nice. I just got a keyboard of Ebay, I don't know if it's from the original set, but the logo is identical, it fits the set. All I need now is a mouse :D.
I cut the mesh from the back where the exhaust fan is and added the protection bracket and a high rpm fan. It's quite noisy, but if I want to play for longer, I like the parts to be cool. I think it's a 6k rpm fan, pulls a lot of air, you can feel it through the gaps at the front of the case.

@Retro6 I use the same site and the option "BBCode thumbnail linked", but I think you already saw that.

Soldato
I put it up for £25 based on working cards selling for £100 and it was gone in half an hour. Whoops!

P.S drop me a trust with your address and I'll post it out when I get a chance.
Parts it would probably have gone for £50 (as per the other that sold for £50 recently) Hopefully someone can repair it

Soldato
Thanks! I like it a lot, the case is so "tiny" haha, it looks really nice. I just got a keyboard of Ebay, I don't know if it's from the original set, but the logo is identical, it fits the set. All I need now is a mouse :D.
I cut the mesh from the back where the exhaust fan is and added the protection bracket and a high rpm fan. It's quite noisy, but if I want to play for longer, I like the parts to be cool. I think it's a 6k rpm fan, pulls a lot of air, you can feel it through the gaps at the front of the case.

@Retro6 I use the same site and the option "BBCode thumbnail linked", but I think you already saw that.
Nice, looks way cleaner than my Gateway 550T PC from year 2000.
That was a, Pentium 3, 3DFX Voodoo 3, Soundblaster 16 CT2230 plus a load of Microsoft peripherals and a 17" Samsung CRT. The case, HSF and Voodoo 3 were all original (Gateway 550 specific Voodoo 3 3000G) It sold for £162 in the end, not huge money but covered most of what I paid for it. Would be worth breaking down into parts (Voodoo and CT2200 would probably cover most of that) The best things were the 3dfx card, one of the best Soundblasters and gaming on a CRT again. It was however noisy and took up a lot of room and also smelt retro :D

Edit, as for retro I found these pics. Dont think i've posted them here but as im played Redalert (Open RA) again they're worth the post.

Original from 1997 when I went to Game in Meadowhall to buy Redalert, age 13.
Checking the receipt I see I exchange it for Fade to black. Probably because I didnt like it or it didnt work on my PC at the time

l2LPeht.jpg

GthyuZd.jpg

Associate
I've got 3 more retro builds all needing hard drives. I used the last my IDE desktop hard drives on the TINY PC which by the way that hard drive has now failed. So this morning I had a look through all my parts forgetting that I had some old IDE laptop hard drives that I stripped out some broken laptops some time ago I found one which is a 20GB and there is no guarantee that its going to be 100% healthy but I have it on the TINY PC formatting via a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch adapter lead and I'm setting it up for a Windows 95 install. It formatted OK so fingers crossed its golden. I have removed the PCI video card and swapped it for an AGP ATi Radeon 9200 128 and I have moved the sound blaster card to the bottom slot. The PCI video card I took out will go into the other IBM PC that I was working on card that has no AGP slot.

If I get time I will make a custom front panel the cover the ugliness around the floppy drive and missing drive bay cover.

Edit... Got Windows 95 installing one hiccup with file copying never a good sign... hard drive has errors on it after running scan disk in Windows 95 and I couldn't install anything else in Windows 95 like my video card drivers. I may have to do the ebay hard drive hunt. I think my best bet would be going for 2.5 hard drives as they will be less likely to arrive faulty after being knocked about in transit. I heard the old IBM 2.5 inch hard drives have a built in shock system so I may go for a few of those.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got 3 more retro builds all needing hard drives. I used the last my IDE desktop hard drives on the TINY PC which by the way that hard drive has now failed. So this morning I had a look through all my parts forgetting that I had some old IDE laptop hard drives that I stripped out some broken laptops some time ago I found one which is a 20GB and there is no guarantee that its going to be 100% healthy but I have it on the TINY PC formatting via a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch adapter lead and I'm setting it up for a Windows 95 install. It formatted OK so fingers crossed its golden. I have removed the PCI video card and swapped it for an AGP ATi Radeon 9200 128 and I have moved the sound blaster card to the bottom slot. The PCI video card I took out will go into the other IBM PC that I was working on card that has no AGP slot.

If I get time I will make a custom front panel the cover the ugliness around the floppy drive and missing drive bay cover.

Edit... Got Windows 95 installing one hiccup with file copying never a good sign... hard drive has errors on it after running scan disk in Windows 95 and I couldn't install anything else in Windows 95 like my video card drivers. I may have to do the ebay hard drive hunt. I think my best bet would be going for 2.5 hard drives as they will be less likely to arrive faulty after being knocked about in transit. I heard the old IBM 2.5 inch hard drives have a built in shock system so I may go for a few of those.
You can still find IDE hard drives on CEX, just search for "IDE" and you will find HDDs from 20GB to 400GB. At least if they don't work it's easy to get a replacement or your money back. And they are wrapping their items quite good for transit.
I bought recently a few 10K Velociraptor hard drives, for just in case...they are really good for WinXP systems or even older OS while using an adapter.

Associate
You can still find IDE hard drives on CEX, just search for "IDE" and you will find HDDs from 20GB to 400GB. At least if they don't work it's easy to get a replacement or your money back. And they are wrapping their items quite good for transit.
I bought recently a few 10K Velociraptor hard drives, for just in case...they are really good for WinXP systems or even older OS while using an adapter.
Thanks... They have one 40GB hard drive which will do one of the PS's. They don't have anymore in stock. That would have been quite handy if some local CEX stores had some. I also look in Cash Converters sometimes they have vintage PC stuff in there bargain bins going for pennies, old keyboards, mice and retro PC speakers etc.

Associate
I've been looking for an IBM mouse to go with an IBM desktop restoration, I got the keyboard and even the IBM monitor I just need to mouse to complete it.

I also like these rounded ones I remember computer shops like Currys selling the sort of breast shaped mice in the late 90s "1999" and I gotta say they looked pretty comfortable to use but then they made them all flat again later on.
IMG_0376.png

This is the one I have been looking for "the blue and white one"
s-l400.jpg

Soldato
UTTERLY Kicking myself, by fluke stuck my head on CEX site earlier to see what they had and found a pair of GTX260 cards, £6!! Each. Put them in basket....got stuck on work conference call for 25 mins, went back to buy...both gone.

So close to the SLI rig being one step closer :(

Associate
The new IBM keyboard arrived this morning. New old stock. It feels like good 90s quality and has a nice weight to it. This will be for one of my IBM desktop computers, slowly but surely its coming together. I just need the IBM mouse to go with it.

PCHctGA.jpg

Soldato
The new IBM keyboard arrived this morning. New old stock. It feels like good 90s quality and has a nice weight to it. This will be for one of my IBM desktop computers, slowly but surely its coming together. I just need the IBM mouse to go with it.

PCHctGA.jpg
Beauty!

This is my everyday keyboard on 5800X, 3080FE system

XxYy8gnh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom