What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
I only remember seeing a couple of these full towers when I was a kid. One at a computer sale / meet up and another from a guy I used to buy 'blobby' CDs from in the mid-late 90s.

I went in once to pay him something like £20 for 2 copied CDs which wasnt bad at the time as there were something like 5-10 games on each CD (Most didnt work mind or were poor rips)
Anyway, I went inside and his sound stunk of smoke, was really dark but roasting hot. His front room had two massive full towers with about 5 CDRWs in, all flashing away writing. I remember thinking he was a hardened criminal for selling copied CDs :D

Associate
Picked up a replica ZX Microdrive with SD card slot to go with my N-Go Spectrum.

20220413-170533.jpg

20220413-170509.jpg

Soldato
NICE!

I use a ZXUITape to load games for the authentic loading experience (minus 'R Tape Loading Error), and an SD Card interface with a joystick port for instant game loading, but that microdrive looks incredible.

Soldato
To join in the eBay fun I'm tempted by this so-naff-it's-good-but-is-it-though blue case that comes with some kind of PC...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185371980873?hash=item2b2907f449:g:sP8AAOSwUuhiSyO9

I'm thinking its some kind of high end AM2 motherboard (judging from the open ended PCI-E slots that I've only ever seen on AMD boards) with early xfire/sli but I definitely feel like I need a bright blue case with a temperature gauge on it

Soldato
To join in the eBay fun I'm tempted by this so-naff-it's-good-but-is-it-though blue case that comes with some kind of PC...

I'm thinking its some kind of high end AM2 motherboard (judging from the open ended PCI-E slots that I've only ever seen on AMD boards) with early xfire/sli but I definitely feel like I need a bright blue case with a temperature gauge on it
Built a couple of systems for friends into that case back in the day. Was so bad its good :D

if anyone is near swindon this is worth the opening bid for the cpu cooler alone: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165432174562?hash=item268486a7e2:g:jxoAAOSwY2tiFp-X

Soldato

If you get this you should definately make stickers for the fan and temp gauge and put them over the possibly working gauges!

Soldato
Soldato
With my main retro rig now being more of a ******** then ever and my Dell 486 now being set up I decided to play some simcity 2000 on it this morning.

Its amazing how addictive this game is even after all these years. It did begin to chug a bit on the 66mhz dx2 but you barely even notice it in a game this good :)

Soldato
I could never and still can't work out how to get water to work in SC2K. I've got the GOG version and I run it on my 486 AMD DX4-100 and it runs pretty good. Zzzpt.

I'm finally going to complete Doom 2 this weekend I think, playing it on my VIA thing with GM sound. And if I do I'm going to treat myself to Quake 2 on Gog as I've only played the shareware version!

Soldato
You can play Doom, Quake, and Quake 2 on the Oculus Quest. Literally a whole new perspective when playing those games. Quake 3 Arena is coming soon too.

Associate
I've been watching this one. It hasn't sold yet. I was tempted, but I recently bought a similar PC that is now in my garage and I couldn't justify another.

(Or could I? ) :p
You CAN! :D I won't bid, I got too many units/parts now, even it's on my way to work. I've got a few of those heatsinks, copper, aluminum even a boxed one..so I don't need another one. The motherboard though is really cool, is worth that price just for it.

Soldato
You CAN! :D I won't bid, I got too many units/parts now, even it's on my way to work. I've got a few of those heatsinks, copper, aluminum even a boxed one..so I don't need another one. The motherboard though is really cool, is worth that price just for it.

The challenge is stripping it for parts and then profit..

You're only down the road from me @manisses. Are you in the market for any retro bits? :o

Back
Top Bottom