What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Finally on the last level of theme hospital. Hopefully finally complete it for the first time ever this weekend :D

Then I might need to go out and complete another game I have never finished... Dungeon Keeper.

Both of these games I count in my top 10 or even possibly top 5 but have never actually finished them... Criminal :p

Associate
Took a trip down today with a friend to visit RMC's The Cave. Had a real good time! We went to the morning session (10AM-1PM). It was limited to 30 people per session so you arn't all crammed in and had plenety of opportunities to get on the games. Everything is there to be handeled/touched and they have a really great collection of machines spanning a vast range on vintage gaming. My mate set the high score on the Galxian cab which got tweeted out! I highly recommend the visit where ever you on in the country just to show some support for Neil and whats hes building. He's a real nice guy too!

s72RpEPh.jpg

Associate
Took a trip down today with a friend to visit RMC's The Cave. Had a real good time! We went to the morning session (10AM-1PM). It was limited to 30 people per session so you arn't all crammed in and had plenety of opportunities to get on the games. Everything is there to be handeled/touched and they have a really great collection of machines spanning a vast range on vintage gaming. My mate set the high score on the Galxian cab which got tweeted out! I highly recommend the visit where ever you on in the country just to show some support for Neil and whats hes building. He's a real nice guy too!

s72RpEPh.jpg
I wasn't aware is so close to me, 20 min drive. I will definitely visit it soon.

Soldato
How do you guys deal with the thermal pads you get between memory chips and heatsinks? I've picked up a GTS 240 which is basically a 9800GT or GTX and when I took it apart some of the pads ripped apart and all are dusty and they're quite difficult to clean without them losing their shape /thickness...

Associate
After clearing out the garage and loft at my partners parents house we have uncovered some big box PC classics and an Amiga A500 and a log of games mostly including the large boxes.

They were literally just going to be thrown in a skip as they are clearing up before moving house, I think I missed a few bits but otherwise have salvaged what I could, will be testing the Amiga tomorrow to see if its still working and then get everything listed for sale for them. Have already checked the PC games and listed them at AVF as I don't have enough posts here for the marketplace.

Associate
Soldato
My retro desk is looking a little busy now
PXL-20220418-121325833.jpg

Ive got a DOS PC (the ITX box) using VGA and the beige mouse, an XP PC under the desk using Display Port and the black mouse, and the a500 using HDMI and the Amiga mouse. All using the same speakers and same keyboard!

Soldato
@almoststew1990 very tidy.

I've had a bit of tinkering time today.

The last PC I picked up was a:
ASUS A7NBX-VM with a S462 Athlon 2500K.
The unit is very well put together with a floppy drive, two CDRom drives and 2 hard drives.
It boots to Windows XP and needs activation.
It has onboard VGA from the NForce chipset.
I blew the dust away and I reapplied the CPU thermal paste (after a clean of course).

What GPU would suit this build?

PXL-20220418-100006033-COLLAGE.jpg

Associate
@almoststew1990 very tidy.

I've had a bit of tinkering time today.

The last PC I picked up was a:
ASUS A7NBX-VM with a S462 Athlon 2500K.
The unit is very well put together with a floppy drive, two CDRom drives and 2 hard drives.
It boots to Windows XP and needs activation.
It has onboard VGA from the NForce chipset.
I blew the dust away and I reapplied the CPU thermal paste (after a clean of course).

What GPU would suit this build?

PXL-20220418-100006033-COLLAGE.jpg
I would go for a 9600 Pro/XT, that would be the best match, cards that you can still find for a good price.

Associate
Picked up a new motherboard today. Had a few versions of this board, but this one is the final 5.2 version. I have a IWill SS7 but it is due toi be recapped so its nice to have this as a spare. Also came with a K6-2 550 which was a nice bonus.

Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2

knR93qZl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom