What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Soldato
Why am I looking at this thing... other than liking small PCs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185400057916?hash=item2b2ab4603c:g:VM4AAOSw7kFiRcMM#vi-desc-maincntr

The WinChip C6 200MHz appears to perform like a Cyrix PR2 166 at 133MHz in DOS games from a Toms Hardware review at the time.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/idt-winchip-c6-cpu,37.html

This probably isn't the Socket 7 PC for me...
They are pretty cool.

Ctrl_alt_rees and CRG both have done videos on them if you fancy a look at what they can do

Soldato
Why am I looking at this thing... other than liking small PCs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185400057916?hash=item2b2ab4603c:g:VM4AAOSw7kFiRcMM#vi-desc-maincntr

The WinChip C6 200MHz appears to perform like a Cyrix PR2 166 at 133MHz in DOS games from a Toms Hardware review at the time.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/idt-winchip-c6-cpu,37.html

This probably isn't the Socket 7 PC for me...

I love that unit on eBay. The stuff the vendor is selling is a mix too. Mannequin arms and PVC mini skirts.

Soldato
Something I've been wondering is whether desktop cases were all a standard size (unless you got a specific non standard one like this)? Because the one I bought was too deep. This one is 29cm device l which is great but obviously the whole system is bespoke...

Soldato
Desktop cases weren't a standard size, but they fitted a standard motherboard size, AT, ATX: Full, Micro etc, depending on the case.

And yes, then you had bespoke systems with non upgradable parts including PSUs.

Soldato
Installed my original Klingon Academy onto my windows 98 PC

My favourite game of the era, had a quick go in the simulator, with the Enterprise v Reliant (or Constitution v Miranda)..

finishing blow a torpedo into the reliants impulse engines, then another ripping off a nacelle

0pu4JN2.jpg
flUf21M.jpg
f2OvoRZ.jpg
1mZcoc8.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
Today I finally completed Doom 2. Had a lot of fun with it and particularly like the sound design. Some of the death sound effects are fantastic especially considering they're 11KHz and some other specs that I don't understand.

Now onto Doom 3...

Soldato
Today I finally completed Doom 2. Had a lot of fun with it and particularly like the sound design. Some of the death sound effects are fantastic especially considering they're 11KHz and some other specs that I don't understand.

Now onto Doom 3...

Good luck, I recently re completed Doom 1 and 2, but I still struggle with 3. It’s a very different game to the others, much slower and… honestly it ‘still’ gives me the heebs. I completed the newer releases and now I’m working my way through Unreal. Not sure what I’ll do after that, maybe the Monkey Islands in time for the new game that’s coming.

Soldato
Good luck, I recently re completed Doom 1 and 2, but I still struggle with 3. It’s a very different game to the others, much slower and… honestly it ‘still’ gives me the heebs. I completed the newer releases and now I’m working my way through Unreal. Not sure what I’ll do after that, maybe the Monkey Islands in time for the new game that’s coming.
Ha, I decided on Monkey Island as a break between Doom 2 and Doom 3 having never completed any version of any Monkey Island. I'm playing it on my Amiga mini.

Associate
I finally finished uploading all of the Transport Tycoon Deluxe recordings off the Pianobox. The game has a phenomenal soundtrack and I really enjoyed recording and listening to each individual track. Next on my recordings list is Doom 2 and Rise Of The Triad.

Here is the playlist for Transport Tycoon

Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Soldato
I finally finished uploading all of the Transport Tycoon Deluxe recordings off the Pianobox. The game has a phenomenal soundtrack and I really enjoyed recording and listening to each individual track. Next on my recordings list is Doom 2 and Rise Of The Triad.

Here is the playlist for Transport Tycoon

Transport Tycoon Deluxe
It is an incredible soundtrack! Thanks for uploading it all. I stand by my YT comment tho :p Some of those instruments sound quite off!

Soldato
That is awesome @Kurgen.

I have a couple of old modems. I managed to find my original / first internet modem, a Hayes Accura Message Modem. Zen ISP give you a backup internet dial up line to use, so I gave it a go with that. Happy Days.

These last two weeks I've been prepping my Amiga 1200 for the next South West Amiga meet. It's looking fine.

I sold a few bits on eBay too.

Back
Top Bottom