What silicone to be used after delidding

Associate
Morning lads, just a quick question regarding deliding. I'm just getting ready fir my very first time, gathering all the goods.
I couldn't find clear answer whats the best silicone ( available in UK) to be used for delidding operation. I don't want to order anything on eBay. What's the stuff that can be found at local bq or Screwfix, Halfords, etc.
Nail polish is it fine if I get the cheap one from pound world? Other things like masking tape I believe Ive got at home. Well I need some alcohol isopropyl cleansing wipes don't know where to go to get them from too.
Spreading the conductonaut, will the cheap pencils do the job?
What else's may i need?
Thanks for your help.

Man of Honour
I use black liquid gasket for my cpu's. Any automotive liquid gasket should do the job. Go to your local Halfords or similar and look for something like this. Even pound shops sell similar stuff these days. You only want a thin bead around the inside edge of the IHS just inside the raised edge. Don't put it on the raised edge or it will end up raising the IHS a little. Any nail polish will do, I just raid the wifes collection. You only need to apply a thin coat across the tiny transistors next to the die. Conductonaut should come with something like a cotton bud to spread the stuff. You could use a cotton bud but you have to be really carefull that you don't leave any bits of it in the liquid metal. I suppose you could use a very small paintbrush to apply it as well. Whats the masking tape for? If you are using the delid tool you don't need anything else. It also comes with a relidding attachment which makes fixing the IHS back on simple.

Associate
OP
cheers bro, all done now ;) couldnt resist it in the morning and ive done with no silicone. just ihs straight on the PCB. results deffo no less than 25 celsius in stress both AVX and none avx tests.

the only problem is my bloody low end gigabyte z370 HD3 thats throttling when it gets to 123 celsius on VRM.

and masking tape to make a nice rectangle shape of liquid metal covered surface, dunno really if thats changing anything but in very first video on yt i saw it and really liked the idea ;)

and once again mate, thanks for that liquid gasket suggestion ;)

Soldato
You could try altering the heatsinks on the VRMs.

Looks like the mounting pins may have a spacer that is slightly to big so the heatsink doesn't make good contact.

Doing this will probably void your warranty though.

Not your motherboard, but similar. (Fix is around the 3 minute mark)

Associate
OP
yes mate it is 123c where its throttling and clocks dropping to 800mhz, and as mentioned above these mobos have horrible power sections, it was worst choice to pick it up, and yes topic regarding heatsinks have been talked before they like moving a little bit.

Soldato
You could try the alteration as that may stop the heatsink moving, but personally i would try and RMA it for a refund and get a better board.

Oh and well done on the delidding.

Need to do mine as it reaches 90c when pushed. Got all the stuff, just need to grow a pair and get on with it. :D

Man of Honour
Jesus those heatsinks are loose. That is just downright poor from Gigabyte. I know it's a budget board but why even give it heatsinks if they don't make good contact. If you don't RMA the board then I would be modding those heatsinks to make sure they have good contact. As long as there is enough clearance and the heatsinks are not touching anything but the vrm chips you could even go as far as removing the thermal pads and using a good, non-conductive paste between the chips and heatsinks. You may need to modify/change the mounting screws to do this and do a test fit to make sure there is good contact. If I remember right back in the socket 775 days people were modding Abit boards because the heatsinks made poor contact.

Soldato
It's a shame OcUK dont sell the sillicone or I would have got myself all the stuff I would need to Delid my 4790k that was getting to over 90c

It's not needed.

Things you need are a method of delidding and more thermal paste/liquid.

You can go without any sealant just fine. Others have used gel superglue (doesn't run around like regular superglue)

Soldato
yes mate it is 123c where its throttling and clocks dropping to 800mhz, and as mentioned above these mobos have horrible power sections, it was worst choice to pick it up, and yes topic regarding heatsinks have been talked before they like moving a little bit.
800mhz is the speedstep frequency, are you 100% sure it's throttling? OCCT will tell you

Soldato
Gamers Nexus have done loads of testing on delidding, they found that not gluing the IHS back on gives better temps, I think they said they would only glue it back on to ship it or summat. I have to admit I tried gluing mine on one time and I did get worse temps than all the other times.

Soldato
Glue is not silicon. Silicon is more likely to create a gap as it is thick and people use it all around the edge of the IHS.

Personally I used/would use a small dab of glue on each corner - holds the IHS on, keeps the liquid metal application secure, but is easily reversible.

Thick superglue is ok, I'd use something less reactive like epoxy (Araldite etc). One dab on each corner, easy to slice through later.

Man of Honour
Jesus those heatsinks are loose. That is just downright poor from Gigabyte. I know it's a budget board but why even give it heatsinks if they don't make good contact.

One thing that disappoints me a bit about GB - the original version of the board I have had pretty poor VRM cooling - on the revised board that I have they actually attached a heatsink properly to the VRMs.

I miss the days when GB paid more attention and the budget boards still used high quality stuff throughout just cut down on features (or number of heatpipes, etc.).

Personally if I reattach a IHS I use a really thin layer of 2 part thermal adhesive (not sure if the regular stuff works for this kind of application but the stuff I have does) - though the good stuff tends to be pretty expensive and you only get a tiny amount which kind of takes the mick but it does the job and is pretty permanent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom