1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sort of PM will Boris be?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by rIcK, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Nasher

Capodecina

People don't seem to get that no matter who is PM, the EU are still going to be stubborn and not budge. But I think he is more likely to put his foot down on the deadline, which is what's needed.

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

Technically, the mayor is accountable for the met.

https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/pcc/

Both livingstone and Johnson took credit for crime falls during their time as mayor as a result, is it only one way?

I don't disagree that Boris will be an awful pm, I have said as much. I haven't even said he wasn't an awful mayor. He's just not the worst of the three.

3. Nasher

Capodecina

Boris was ok as mayor I think, he did better than Khan who seems to be pretty crap and spends half the time arguing with Trump on social media. OFC he took the credit for other peoples work but that is what politicians do.

4. Dolph

Man of Honour

Anyone who claims they can negotiate a new deal that doesn't include the wa is lying, that goes for johnson, hunt and Corbyn.

5. Jokester

Don

He'll be least effective PM in modern history. Parliament will take control ending in a general election within 6 months.

6. d_brennen

Capodecina

Time to sign up for Betfair

7. robgmun

Capodecina

PMQ's are going to an incredible watch, I think Corbyn will be dumbfounded on how to approach him :D

He may have the bumbling fool persona, i have this sneaking suspicion the moment he becomes PM, it's all going to drop and he's going to be the male equivalent of Maggie Thatcher. Particularly in how he'll run his cabinet

8. Meridian

Man of Honour

But not their budget, the only bit that really matters. because, yes, it largely does come down to money.

I answer to the OP though: a terrible one. So far he has not exhibited any competence at any task he has undertaken. He was a poor Mayor and a terrible Foreign Secretary. He is a giant ego with no actual talent to back it up. His only recognisable skill is to make people think he would be a good PM. He ha sa history of lying, and more importantly, lying badly. The only politicians outside the UK who do not despise him are the fascist ones. And he clearly has a wide fascist streak himself. He doesn't care what happens to the country as long as he is famous, and he has plenty of money to ride out any disasters he causes. None of the Tories who put themselves up for the job are worth ****ing on if they were on fire, but he's the one who is most dangerous, as opposed to merely incompetent, sleazy, or both. The nearest thing to person who might not **** the job completely was Gove, and he's a sleazy economic far-Righter.

My personal suspicion is that Hunt will be made an offer he can't refuse (probably Home Secretary) and will throw the contest.

9. robgmun

Capodecina

And he spends the other half of his time blaming everyone else and not himself for his failings and telling everyone his a Muslim :/

10. Lartyconshayo

Mobster

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

He's not responsible for the size of the budget, but how that budget is spent is within his scope.

12. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Bet they wish they had those water cannons now!

13. FishFluff

Soldato

I would argue that Khan is doing better than Johnson. He’s quietly getting on with running the place and I think the current crime problems would be happening irrespective of who was running the city. The causes of knife crime are a lot more complex than a change of mayor.

The only good thing that Boris did was use his political clout to get segregated bike lanes installed in the face of pretty hostile opposition, but even there Andrew Gilligan did most of the hard work. Johnson is good at one thing and one thing only, promoting Boris Johnson. I’d take any other party leader as PM right now, even Corbyn, over him.

14. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Wasnt Cameron the worst PM until May took over though?

So Boris could possible be the worst with May the second worse and Cameron the third. That will be three Tory PMs being the worst in history from 2010 alone. What a legacy.
    So more fire brigade and police stations closing and less police officers on the beat. Trying to take and willingly be accepted by the usual suspects credit for anything that anyone else started while ignoring the terrible wastes of money his true projects cost. Yep more of the same.
    Despite not taking the credit for crime rising towards the end especialy knife crime. You could well be right about the mayor being responable for police numbers which is why under Boris they reduced.

To be fair to Livingstone at least he introduce more beat patrols, all be it with voluntary police, but still he increased police presence. Unlike Boris Ken did some wonderful things as London mayor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36170239
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...r/12/london-mayoral-election-2012-livingstone
    So yeah Boris will be as bad or much worse than the last two Tory PMs. Although he could surprise everyone but unfortunatly I doubt it. He needs to find £9bn in cuts to fund his tax cut for the better off for a start.

https://www.london.gov.uk/city-hall-blog/police-numbers-london-lowest-level-head-20-years
    Yes Dolph all Khans fault.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...on-harder-than-anywhere-else-in-uk-sadiq-khan

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  15. bayo000

Mobster

No different to most other politicians then.

16. Freakbro

Capodecina

Boris is just a representation of how low this nation has now sunk. This current period is truly an embarrassing stain on British history, that we would promote such a braggart, cheat and liar to represent us as the person in our highest office.

Emotional populism has triumphed over stoic pragmatism and it is just pandering to the lowest common denominator

17. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Sadly it is people like you that keep mentioning the muslim angle.

18. McstylisT

Wise Guy

Sorry but you will not get a real answer from this lot i am afraid. They are the ideological labour/liberals types. They do not care about him, as he supports brexit he is the enemy to them. So they will say and bring up everything about him, relevant or not.

Honestly with Boris we do not know. I assume he will do a lot better than people think. There is also the possibility he will fail too. His fatal decisions in the make up of new government and people working with him to deliver what we voted for is where the problems will be. If he trust's parliament he will fail because of the unprecedented bias from clown Bercow and the total remain theme MP's . He needs the strongest possible team around him and i think reaching out for help from the brexit party will be a key moment in political history.

I think he will succeed and deliver Brexit. But we will see. 100% better than May.

19. satchef1

Mobster

The Tory majority is currently looking really shakey. The Parliament website lists 312 + 10 DUP for a total 322. But that's without updating for the suspension of Mark Field. So it's now 321. The opposition benches hold 322 MPs. After removing deputy speakers, the two benches are tied (albeit with some suspended Tories on the opposition benches).

I don't know that Boris will get long at all.

20. StriderX

Capodecina

No, he can't go outside the guidelines of the Home secretary, there are spending musts he has no choice but to implement. All the mayor can seriously do is make a direction for the force to move in, which thankfully he's finally come to terms with, but it takes time unfortunately and money which the Chancellor would rather hide away from the people.

This isnt a thread about the London Mayor.

Lol if you think Boris supports anything but himself, you're just being led down a garden path... again. His job is LITERALLY to trust parliament has he has no CHOICE, how you can have no idea after 3 years of this is impressively boring.

He barely has a majority and any he does, have explicitly said they'd vote down the government if it was heading towards no deal, that means REVOKING because the EU will not suffer another minute of this incessant tribalism. Oh and before you think those MP's care more about their job, they would have had the UKIPers not entered the party and successfully ousted a few of them from their local parties and made them unelectable. Funny how the act of self harm is perhaps not the best choice when you don't get the institute you want more powers for...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019