1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sort of PM will Boris be?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by rIcK, Jun 22, 2019.

1. nkata

Soldato

How did this get through the censors? It is just speakers corner? Yes we are all adults and can swear with the best. But some restraint in debate is proper when not in a private conversation with people you know, otherwise it appears that you are coarser than you probably are.

2. Azza

Caporegime

What the actual ****

3. robfosters

Caporegime

The only moderator on SC is Rotty. He’s not been on since last night so hasn’t seen it yet I’d imagine. It’s definitely bang out of order.

4. robfosters

Caporegime

So what. Huge brain and experienced in government. Sounds perfect for such a job. Or is it not right because he’s a leaver?

5. Greebo

Caporegime

Priti Patel tipped to be Home Secretary. And I thought May was a bad Home Secretary!

6. doodah

Capodecina

Boris probably saw she's brown and picked her, that will keep them happy. God help us all (not that we deserve it).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. Greebo

Caporegime

Maybe because he deceived people with the Leave campaign, refused to go before MPs to answer questions and he wants to "purge" the civil service of all remainers? I can see why some people would view that as a controversial appointment. .

8. robfosters

Caporegime

One woman becomes Home Secretary for a bit and all of a sudden, it’s “god help us all”?

This faux panic and desperation is becoming beyond pathetic now.

9. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Dominic Cummings was the man who used AggregateIQ (pre-cursor to Cambridge Analytica) who ultimately tipped the vote in Leaves favour.

He came up with the £350 million NHS bus (lie) and anti-immigration messages, such as "Turkey will soon join the EU" (lie)

10. doodah

Capodecina

She lied and mislead parliament and seems too junior for my liking. Most of the God help us all was aimed at Boris - he's just plain awful.

11. FishFluff

Soldato

Maybe tell us why you think she's a good appointment? To me, this looks like Boris surrounding himself with people who are more than comfortable telling huge lies to the public and I find it odd that you don't think that's worrying. But then you can't seem to get your story straight around whether you voted in the EU elections or not so maybe that's why you see nothing wrong with these appointments.

12. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I working my way through the Adam Buxton podcast at the moment, and recently listened to one from 2017 with Brian Eno.

Eno mentioned that he knows someone in the German government and they find it bizarre how the UK puts people in charge of departments that they have no experience of.

His example was that in Germany, somebody in charge of the agriculture department will have been to university to study that subject, or have extensively worked in that area....Putting experts in charge basically.

13. wesimmo

Mobster

If I could be bothered I'd find my Facebook post on this subject from a few years ago.

But yeah, it's bizarre, people get elected basically on party lines or personality and then get put into senior positions overseeing things they have no idea about.

They then get shuffled around when they inevitably screw up into other position they're not qualified for.

If only there was a way to separate policy direction so that it was driven by politicians following their mandate from their constituents and the actual mechanisms/laws were written and proposed for voting on by experts in their field.

14. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Must be so frustrating being a head of an organisation that represents, say, Doctors and Nurses when the Health Secretary changes every 2 years.

15. Murphy

Wise Guy

The guy who said "Don’t make the referendum final", sounds like he's a second referendum supporter to me. :)

16. wesimmo

Mobster

Gove is the best example, incompetent and hated by all who worked under his education department, yet he still has a senior job in the government.

17. Panos

Capodecina

You forgot the point that France has an appeal process and aren't hiding their data the decision was made.
    Do not use USA as example, a country operating concentration camps and people are stuffed dozens together in a little space to sleep in appalling conditions for months. Nor Australia who does the same on islands.
    Greece has been accused for such things, yet all these illegals washed out on the shores, living with heaters and air conditioning, in units of no more than family or 4 together. Not dozens stuffed like chickens, and not in prison conditions, as they can move about freely.

UK law states that you will be deported 72 hours after you get arrested, however there are countless the cases of people legally living in UK who were in those prisons for months. Also there are also thousands of cases of wrongfully arrested, have your life completely destroyed and send you to the streets. Stop dismissing that.

And we saw it with the deportation letters scandal to EU citizens back in September 2017. The grovelling HO staff had to do to the media to excuse "a system mistake". That this exists shows the institutional racism.
    We saw it with Windrush scandal, and the individual cases of people been in the country decades legally.

In addition citizenship is completely bllcks under UK law. Who has passed a clause that the HO can remove your citizenship for XYZ reason, many times operating in the secret courts (huh 3rd world countries have secret courts) and if it believes that you have another one. Yet we see more and more cases of British citizens losing the only citizenship they have, against the UN Treaty of Human Rights, because HO "believes" they can get another one on another country they have no connection with, but because one of their parent was born there 50 years ago.

So stop parroting HO, I do not say the illegals shouldn't be deported but the system need to be right of who is illegal and who's not before torching peoples lives.

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

You would assume that there are civil servants in the MP's departments that do know what they are about and are somewhat qualified. (It may be a big mistake to assume some form of competence though.....:p)

19. FishFluff

Soldato

I've worked in the public sector for a long time now (health/social care and education) and believe me, there's nothing worse than a new minister coming in who is determined to put their stamp on things. They generally start with a pointless (and costly) rebranding of the department, then end up scrapping most of the things their predecessor has asked us to do. The amount of multi-year projects that get canned because of this is insane.

20. Murphy

Wise Guy

Yea but they're unelected bureaucrats and we don't want them.